Another Virginia Mystery

bicknell

There's a series of missing marks that are interesting to me. I get the feeling they have been removed on purpose, but have no direct evidence.

The marks in question are:

HV9152

HV9153

HV9154

Note these were all set at the same approximate time by the same company. I've found a number of other MSI marks before, they generally do really good work. Note also all of these are "BERNSTEN MODEL W-1-B BREAK-OFF HIGHWAY MONUMENT", which I've never seen before. Descriptions are good for 9152 and 9154 so I'm sure we were in the right spot, 9153 is a little unsure.

Later the same day we found this mark:

HV8202

It's a bit southwest. It was set in 1986. Again, good description, good objects to measure from, but no mark at that location.

I almost wonder if there were a bunch of marks determined to be "wrong", and they were pulled up.

For HV9152 I can't make sense of the NW direction

NORTHWEST OF THE SOUTHEASTERN CORNERPOST OF THE CEMETARY WALL

because that would put it inside the wall whereas everything else indicates outside. Or am I mixed up?

But that is pretty much moot if you had other measurements that agreed with the GPS on an adjusted horizontal location.

HV8202'THE STATION IS A WI-B BERNTSEN ALUMINUM DISK SET FLUSH WITH THE GROUND
HV8202'AND IS STAMPED---14 LITTLE BULL RUN 1986---. THE STATION IS 12.45
HV8202'FEET NORTHWEST OF THE WOODEN END POST OF WOODEN FENCE, 24.62 FEET EAST
HV8202'OF A SHINER IN THE CENTER OF ROUTE 705, 46.34 FEET SOUTH OF POWER POLE
HV8202'31.

Can someone please tell me what a "SHINER" is?

A shiner is nothing but a shiny disk, much like a tin can lid attached to a pole or in the ground with a nail in the center. These are often used as surveying references in poles and sometime in asphalt.

A breakoff monument is designed to have the top part break off if struck with earth moving equipment, leaving behind a less disturbed subsurface part. Usually bernsten monuments had magnets in them. We should check the catalog and see if that model might still exist to get an idea. Most of the monument is probably aluminum and so that might affect some kinds of metal detectors. Surveying metal detectors work on magnetic fields and so need the magnet or a ferrous monumnet material.

Note that some of the NGS data sheets say there is a bar magnet.

Here are some modern models:

http://www.berntsen.com/products.aspx?c=41

I am pretty sure the model described W-1-B is a different design.

- jlw