5 Caches In 5 Different Countries In 5 Hours

Geofellas

Yesterday I found 5 caches in 5 different countries in just over 5 hours (and I could have done it in 5 hours if that had been my goal). The caches were:

with a bonus of

For a full report see this website (but turn on your pop-up stoppers to avoid the irritating ads)

I wonder if anyone else has done this. Also if there are any other sets of 5 countries where it can be done (I have figured out one such set but I'm interested to see what you come up with :( ).

Finally - does anyone think it is possible to find 6 caches in 6 different countries in 6 hours? (Rules being that air travel may not be involved and you must not have found any of the caches previously)

Edited by Geofellas
What was the distance between caches?

Good question.

Just threw it at Microsoft Autoroute and if you were to go directly from cache to cache without the side trips it is 223.1 km so not really a big deal - it's all in the planning - finding the right countries and caches to do.

I'm still interested in finding somewhere for a 6, 6, 6 attempt - I'm thinking Eastern Europe maybe?

Start in NY near the tri-state marker. YOu can get NY/CT/MA in less than an hour.

Tri-state

Head east, shoot up I-91, and you can knock out NH and VT about 1-1/2 hours after those.

Brattleboro Vermont

Back down 91, over to RI (about 1-1/2 if you avoid Hartford?) and there's Number 6.

Vermont to Rhode Island

I suppose you could skip RI and get ME, but that would be a little tougher, IMO.

I'm not positive, but you could start at NJ, get to the tri-state marker, and continue on. It would be an interesting exercise, but I vaven't re-loaded my routing software yet.

Did 6 states in a day. Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi. We'd spent the evening just south of St.Louis along I-55. The next day we meandered down towards Memphis on and off I-55. Even got a great, sort of remote, FTF along the way. The six states were not intentional for the most part - just worked out that way.

Probably a record, and congratulations.

(I think I would be more impressed if it was 5 U.S. states west of the Mississippi in five hours....)

4 Corners gets you started but then getting to the 5th...Tough.

Not sure where actual caches are in these areas, but getting northwest TX, OK panhandle, SW Kansas, SE Colorado and NE New Mexico would be about the only area west of the Mississippi.

*might* be able to get LA, TX, AR, and OK and hi-tail it to MO. Might have to watch for flashing lights in the rear-view tho.

Not sure where actual caches are in these areas, but getting northwest TX, OK panhandle, SW Kansas, SE Colorado and NE New Mexico would be about the only area west of the Mississippi.

You are correct. There are 5 caches in that region that would take right around 223 road miles to complete. That is close for driving safely, but possible.

I'm not impressed. I've seen some prominant geocachers log finds in several countires and US states thousands of miles apart on the same day.  Now THAT is impressive!

That is also an interesting challenge - if you allow the use of air travel and the benefit of time zone changes I wonder what would be the most you could achieve. With the right plane schedule (or your own chartered supersonic jet with in air refuelling) you could probably do New Zealand and Spain on the same calendar day and that is about as far apart as you can get on this planet :P

Staying firmly fixed on the ground (maybe should allow water too, lets say "surface of the earth") for inter cache travel and restricting it to physical finds I still wonder if it is possible to do 6,6,6

Probably a record, and congratulations.

(I think I would be more impressed if it was 5 U.S. states west of the Mississippi in five hours....)

4 Corners gets you started but then getting to the 5th...Tough.

It might be easier in the western Oklahoma Panhandle. You should be able to hit Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico in 5 hours if you plan it well.

Darn.... I should read the entire thread before hitting reply... someone beat me to it

Edited by Right Wing Wacko