Garmin 60cs Compass

dirtymartini

What settings should I use for Geocaching ? The default setting is switch to compass heading when below 10 mph for 90 sec. Last time I was out the bearing pointer kept pointing off in the wrong direction, when I knew where the next cache location was. It even pointed me in the opposite direction once or twice. I would turn to face that direction, and the pointer would swing around 180 degrees and point in the direction I had just faced. Any Ideas?

It can be due to your compass not being calibrated. You have to do that after every battery change. Even if youy have, in this case I would do it again just to make sure it didn't go wacky.

Forgot to add that mine was flipping out last week due to low batterries. It never would point in the right direction.

Edited by BlueDeuce
It can be due to your compass not being calibrated. You have to do that after every battery change. Even if youy have, in this case I would do it again just to make sure it didn't go wacky.

I did a calibration right after it acted up, It still seems a little wacky. I have been to some cache sites where it will just start pointing in all different directions. Is this due to the EPE from the satellites ?

I had a glitch today with the compass. The "Hold level" prompt would not go away. It was pointing to the opposite direction I needed to go. Battery level was fine. So I recalibrated the compass and all was well again. So I suppose it would be a good idea to calibrate it more often than when I change out batteries. I'm still amazed at how long the batteries last in this 60cs.

I know this is a stretch, but I was fooled early on. Are you sure that the compass is displaying the Bearing pointer and not the Cource pointer? The Course pointer indicates your direction of travel. The Bearing pointer indicates the direction to your destination. Its an easy mistake.

The bearing pointer is an arrow and the course pointer is a dashed line correct?

f3f683ce-759b-4cf4-bdf0-20b69267c89c.jpg

If it's set to Course pointer, change it to the Bearing pointer. Back when I had a Legend, I had it set for Course pointer and it acted the same way you described.

OK, I checked and it is set to bearing pointer. Now back to my original question...for the setting where the unit changes to compass heading based on speed. should I have it at the default setting of less than 10 mph for more than 90 seconds ?

I have mine set for a lower speed (3 mph) and for the shortest time available. When I'm walking along I'm usually moving at more than 3 mph and it uses GPS. It switches to the compass fairly quickly when I slow down (e.g. bushwhacking) or when I stop. The only downside is a larger drain on the batteries. It's really not an issue with the 60CS, since it has such great battery life!

So, I'd recommend putting the speed just below your normal walking speed, and setting the delay to the shortest available. Display your speed as one of the data items on the compass screen and you'll know when you're using GPS and when you're switching to the compass (remember that there is still a slight lag before the compass kicks in when you're below your set speed).

I have mine set for a lower speed (3 mph) and for the shortest time available. When I'm walking along I'm usually moving at more than 3 mph and it uses GPS. It switches to the compass fairly quickly when I slow down (e.g. bushwhacking) or when I stop. The only downside is a larger drain on the batteries. It's really not an issue with the 60CS, since it has such great battery life!

So, I'd recommend putting the speed just below your normal walking speed, and setting the delay to the shortest available. Display your speed as one of the data items on the compass screen and you'll know when you're using GPS and when you're switching to the compass (remember that there is still a slight lag before the compass kicks in when you're below your set speed).

That's exactly what I was thinking I should do, I was just waiting for someone else to say they have done it and it works...Thanks....anybody else have suggestions ?

I just bought a 76cs and am having the same problem!

I mark a waypoint and then try to get back to that point!

I start in that general direction, then all of a sudden the compass goes into a different direction. I thought it was the fact it was set on follow rd.

I took it off that setting it still does it.

I recalibrated the compass, still does it.

I even rebooted it and then reset the compass.

My navagating on the road is fine, its when Im off road trying to get back to a waypoint its terrible.

Im sometimes as much as a hundred and fifty feet off.

I had a 76s prior to this one and had no trouble at all with it.

Anybody that might have the answer let me know.

Or do you think this might be a repair issue?

What settings should I use for Geocaching ? The default setting is switch to compass heading when below 10 mph for 90 sec. Last time I was out the bearing pointer kept pointing off in the wrong direction, when I knew where the next cache location was. It even pointed me in the opposite direction once or twice. I would turn to face that direction, and the pointer would swing around 180 degrees and point in the direction I had just faced. Any Ideas?

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread but I have had a similar problem since I bought my 60CS. I just sent Garmin an email from their customer support page to see if I can get this taken care of.

My exact problem:

Between battery changes (and calibrations), the compass will all of a sudden point in other directions. This happens mostly after I change a waypoint. I can fix this by calibrating the compass and everything will be fine again until the next glitch. This is only a temporary fix since I could walk a good distance off course, following an erroneous pointer before I realize that I am yet again having another glitch. I shouldn't have to be on the lookout for this and then keep having to recalibrate the compass.

I'm sure that Garmin will see me through this and I'll post back to this thread with updates.

Steve

My exact problem:

Between battery changes (and calibrations), the compass will all of a sudden point in other directions. This happens mostly after I change a waypoint. I can fix this by calibrating the compass and everything will be fine again until the next glitch. This is only a temporary fix since I could walk a good distance off course, following an erroneous pointer before I realize that I am yet again having another glitch. I shouldn't have to be on the lookout for this and then keep having to recalibrate the compass.

Not just you - that describes my problem yesterday precisely. On a 6-point multi hunt in a small area, each time I changed waypoint the compass wouldn't point accurately for a few minutes. A distraction I didn't really need at the time. :blink:

Anticipating what I think they will probably want me to try first, I did a "hard reset". This is done by starting with the unit off, then holding down the Enter and Page buttons simultaneously while powering the unit up.

I even went a step farther and reversed my firmware back to version 3.8 - it was suggested by other members that some problems (that were vaguely similar to mine) didn't start happening until they went to 4.0. Reversing to 3.8 caused my waypoints and routes to be deleted, but that's OK in my case.

A "hard reset" resets everything except the splash screen. My personal message with my "If found" contact info is still there.

Talked to Garmin Tec about my compass problem.

He had me do a hard reset,then recalibrate the compass.

The unit still does not get close to my set waypoint.

It starts in the direction of the waypoint then points in another direction.

He said the unit should not be doing this.

He didn't know of any software issues.

He said if it continues send it back.

Still having compass problems!

I set waypoint, then later try to get back to it

It starts in that direction then needle moves elsewere.

Also on compass mode the feet to waypoint moves real slow.

It starts reducing in feet then all of a sudden increases even though Im standing on the point that I created said waypoint.

Does anyone no how I can solve this problem

Thanks

It does sound like yours is worse than most but Garmin's 2 axis compass is pretty bad.

Dumb question - are you holding it perfectly level? If not, it goes off direction and never notifies you it's screwed up. Yes, the compass screen has the "hold level" prompt but sometimes it's slow to react and sometimes it's almost impossible to get it off. The only solution I've found is to calibrate it often. Some days I've calibrated mine 3 or 4 times.

Magellan's 3 axis compass spoiled me and I was stunned to see just how bad Garmin's compass is.

As to setting when the built-in compass kicks in, I have mine set to 5 secs when below 1mph. That way I can use the more accurate satellite data until I'm close to the target and slow down.

B

This is a new problem, and it seems that only people who are relatively new to the forum are having this problem (with the exception of GSVNoFixedAbode who I think recently upgraded from a Legend to a 60CS). So perhaps it's a problem with newer units - a different chip they're using now combined with the new firmware.

SteveDex mentions downgrading the firmware version, but he is vague as to whether it fixed his problem or not. I kind of get the impression that it didn't work. Still, it might be worth a shot.

CLICK HERE to get to a firmware archive, agree to the terms, look for "GPS60" and click, and then click in the "GPSMAP60CS_390.exe" link. SteveDex warns that all his waypoints and routes were lost, so back up all of your waypoints, routes, tracks and maps in MapSource first.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd send it back to Garmin.

Neo, my 60CS is about two months old. I downgraded to v3.8 to see if it would make the compass work any better and fix a couple of random lockups I experienced. It didn't so I upgraded back to v4.0.

But I don't think I've had quite the same compass screw-ups as others. Mine must be held almost perfectly level otherwise it swings wildly up to 180 out and I have to calibrate it often. Knowing the limitations, it works OK, just not nearly as nice as the 3 axis ones I was used to. The few older 60CSs I've used seem to be about the same...

B

Hmmmmm... I have the plain ol' 60C, so I can't experiment in that realm. How do you know you're holding it perfectly level? I have a separate electronic compass that has bubble level that must be centered in a circle. Does the CS have any such indicator on it anywhere?

Maybe it's just user expectation...? I dunno... I think I'll stay out of this one from here. :o

Neo, only the compass screen shows a "hold level" prompt towards the bottom of the screen. On any other page, there is no prompt. I can be looking at the map screen with heading up and tilt it some, the screen will respond to the false direction the compass give it with NO notice. As I tilt it vertical it goes up to 180 out. It's a serious flaw to me but of course it only happens when using the internal compass.

B

No, we're talking about the internal electronic compass and it depends on your settings when it goes from satellite data to internal. The satellite data is always accurate no matter how you hold it while you're moving, it's just when you slow down and it switches to the internal compass does it become so crucial to hold it level.

I agree that it's pathetic to think you have to hold it vertical for best signal but horizontal for the compass to work.

B

Neo, only the compass screen shows a "hold level" prompt towards the bottom of the screen. On any other page, there is no prompt. I can be looking at the map screen with heading up and tilt it some, the screen will respond to the false direction the compass give it with NO notice. As I tilt it vertical it goes up to 180 out. It's a serious flaw to me but of course it only happens when using the internal compass.

B

You gotta hold the 60CS d*mn near flat if you want the compass to work correctly. There's no other way to do it. It does not have a triaxial compass (a la Magellan). Garmin doesn't offer one in any of their handheld units - it's on a lot of wishlists.

Having said that, if you hold it *reasonably* flat you should find that it points you generally in the right direction, +/- 10-20 degrees. "Go that way" will work. For short distances (less than 5 miles) this should do you ok. Moreso, then use the handheld compass you also carry.

You do carry one, right? ;)

Seriously, I use the compass in both the 60CS and Rino 130, and often end up turning them off in the interests of battery life and using my pocket Silva instead. I hold the units flat enough until I see the "Hold LeveL" indicator flicker off/on, and approximate from there. If I want superaccurate, I stand still and let it *really* level out. Close enough is close enough. Plus, I have the units set to True north, whereas the Silva is (obviously) magnetic, so there's declination to deal with there as well.

Edited by Cymbaline

There is obiously a bug somewhere in the software. On several ocassions I have had the compass spinning while I was standing still...I'm not talking about drift. It's happened to me twice, necessitating the shutdown of the unit (still spun),shutdown of the unit and removal of batteries (still spun), hard re-set (cured the problem).

As I'm very familiar with the unit now, I will be looking for the series of events which might cause the problem.

This little "gremlin" and the loss of the graph on the altitude page, are obviosly caused by a specific series of keystrokes...something that is pretty hard to document considering the amount of "button pushing" the average user does. I am on the latest firmware and have to say I haven't had either problem reoccur in quite awhile.

There is obiously a bug somewhere in the software. On several ocassions I have had the compass spinning while I was standing still...I'm not talking about drift. It's happened to me twice, necessitating the shutdown of the unit (still spun),shutdown of the unit and removal of batteries (still spun), hard re-set (cured the problem).

I've seen this once, maybe twice myself on my own unit. I solved it by turning the compass off and switching to the map screen. Switching back a minute later and turning the compass back on and the problem went away.

I chalked it up to electric gremlins or some sort of magnetic anomoly nearby. Haven't seen it since.

Sometimes recalibrating my compass works. Sometimes I just have to resort to using the map screen. I have had one or two occasions where even the map would not work. It would look like I was walking right toward it then jump 50 to 500 feet away. Maybe just bad reception?

I will try setting mine to 2 mph and 5 seconds and see how that goes.

I also had that problem of the compass going off into the tulies. Hold Level, my foot! I'd calibrate it as level as possible and still get that message.

Solution? I quit using the compass function altogether and get to the caches using the GPS input only. If you press and hold the page button, you can force the compass ON or OFF. No more messing around!

Update on mine:

I filled in the email form to Garmin and sent it off. Being real busy, I forgot about my problem for a couple of weeks and realized that I didn't get a response.

Today was the first time I've had it out since reversing back to 3.8... it didn't help. I went out on a few hunts today and now in addition to the pointer going haywire, the map now locks up B) To get the compass back pointing correctly and to get the map to orient correctly, I must do a combination of compass recalibration, turning the unit off and on while standing on one leg praying to the sun.

It is quite disheartening that after spending 10 minutes deciphering clues, calculating and entering new coords during a 3-part multi only to find out you must to the "monkey dance" to get your GPSr working again. Also embarassing when your partner is waiting, ready with the new numbers in his yellow eTrex which is already pointing to the next part.

I guess I'll call on the phone tomorrow since the email form didn't take. I'll post back.

I know this won't help you guys with the problem, but on my old GPSMap 76S, my compass never worked right. It was just too dadgum picky to be of any use. I just turned it off and used satellite orientation. When I bought my new GPSMap 60c, I thought about buying the S model, but didn't after all my previous issues. I still don't regret the decision. If you need a compass, use an old fashioned model instead.

I know this won't help you guys with the problem, but on my old GPSMap 76S, my compass never worked right. It was just too dadgum picky to be of any use. I just turned it off and used satellite orientation. When I bought my new GPSMap 60c, I thought about buying the S model, but didn't after all my previous issues. I still don't regret the decision. If you need a compass, use an old fashioned model instead.

Right on! :(

I had a similar problem with my 60Cs right after I got it. The compass pointer would not update in a timely manner. I wasn't using the compass, had it turned off, but when on the compass screen trying to find a cache it would point one direction and even if I changed directions would continue to point the same direction. It would eventually update the direction, but always when I had gone to far. I contacted Garmin and we went through a lot of test changes until finally I sent mine in. They sent me a new unit stating that they had duplicated my problems and did not have a clue why it was doing what it was doing. It sure made finding caches an adventure. :(

Update 10/24/05:

Talked to CS and got RMA#. 60CS goes out tomorrow - Since mine is in new condition, I have requested that a used, refurbished unit not be sent back. If mine cannot be repaired, I requested a new one.

I love the electronic feature and because it has worked in the past, I know it CAN work. I just want it to work consistantly :)

Update 10/24/05:

Talked to CS and got RMA#.  60CS goes out tomorrow - Since mine is in new condition, I have requested that a used, refurbished unit not be sent back.  If mine cannot be repaired, I requested a new one.

Update 11/3/05:

My 60CS came back today repaired as I requested instead of being replaced by a refurbished unit. Unknown yet if my compass malfunction is fixed... the compass DOES work, however. My main reason for this particular posting is to report that Garmin serviced and returned my GPSr within 2 weeks - their customer service has been 1st rate :D

Here is what they did according to the shop papers: "Replaced compass module, master cleared unit's possible corrupted data and updated software to the latest version to prevent the problem. Transferred customer waypoint data."

I'll report back later to say whether or not compass freeze problem seems to have been fixed. Time to load some maps.

This seems more than obvious, but I did cache with someone once that I had to remind that his 3-foot wired magnetic-based gillson antenna was probably causing problems with his compass. Since lots of you are having this problem, I'd guess that's not universally the solution - but it's worth mentioning.

I got a 60CS back a couple months ago and haven't noticed this problem at all. Checking firmware and stuff now..... 4.0 it is, though I haven't had any of the other problems people have mentioned either.

VW