Sa Cacher Ranking Site

QFC

:) SA Cacher ranking site - change is in the air. :)

For all of you that have not noticed Part three and me have been avoiding "real" work and have put in some work on the Cacher Ranking site. We have added a few new features and hope to extend the site to provide you with better information on your current position and movement.

The site has also found a new home at www.geocaching.za.net (not that we didn’t like Charles’ site….).

With the release of the SA Geocoins we have also put up a site that will allow you to track them (unfortunately only within SA). This is for the people that are willing to part with their coins, and let them a see bit of SA.

I hope you all continue using the site and that it is not too slow. :lol: Keep the suggestions pouring in so that we can ensure that we get 0 real work done.

QFC

Also on a side note:

There was a suggestion that a WAP site be added to the cacher ranking page during the recent event cache. Thinking about it, I decided to see try and do something in WAP.

The result is a WAP page displaying the cacher rankings site at wap.geocaching.za.net.

Hey site is not broken. When we moved to the new location we set all the cachers' last active date to the first of Jan this year since, well for a whole lot of complex reasons, and well it was easier for us.

As soon as you are active again (make a find or a hide) you will be set to active.

Hope that solves any issues.

QFC

OK, time to arrange a weekend getaway where there's some caches hidden I guess!!

Are those guys like TVM pensioners or where do they get time to find so many caches? I guess being in GP or WP will also make things easier - for us here in the 'platteland', its actually easier hiding caches than finding them! - but then there's almost no one visiting them either! :) Just a thought!

Without preempting things.

I've requested QFC to add the province designation of a cacher to the ranking site as it would make more sense and add greater value to have it there than on my site.

This in turn may mean that you should be able to produce a ranking query for your province as well as for the whole of SA. ;)

Also, we should take a leaf out of Cownchicken's book and attempt grand tours of our fantastic country.... TVM have also been known to perform these in the past.

Now... about that pensioners discount..... <_< ..... just kidding ;)

Pensioner's discount, yippeeee! We presume that means our caches count more points than those done by persons not retired! After all, we spend a fortune on petrol and such likes (plane tickets) to go caching!

We promise that we will visit your caches, I&J, when next in your part of the world and invite you to visit us in the Western Cape

Regards,

Tricky Vicky & Mickey

Keen to see feedback and opinions on the following:

a) Should archived caches - or more specifically redundant caches - be counted as Caches Placed? (Naturally, the functionality of the ranking site may not be able to handle this [yet])

:unsure: Should cachers be allowed to log multiple finds on a single cache?

c) Should you log a Find on a distant Virtual if you can solve the riddle without getting to the site?

What's your opinion on these questions?

B&F

Edited by bear&fox
Keen to see feedback and opinions on the following:

a) Should archived caches - or more specifically redundant caches - be counted as Caches Placed? (Naturally, the functionality of the ranking site may not be able to handle this [yet])

Should cachers be allowed to log multiple finds on a single cache?

c) Should you log a Find on a distant Virtual if you can solve the riddle without getting to the site?

What's your opinion on these questions?

B&F

a. Nope, once you lose a cache its gone.

b. You can only log a cache once

c. You gotta go the distance

:unsure:

a. Nope, once you lose a cache its gone.

b. You can only log a cache once

c. You gotta go the distance

a. Agree... but I think QFC may struggle with this one unless they gain permission to access the Groundspeak database ???

b. Agree... although it's up to the cache owner to police this

c. Agree... although impossible to police. Also there are handicapped folks that do these caches specifically all around the world virtually by doing research to discover the answers. They however do generally contact cache owners explaining their situation and request whether they may log these. Rather place micros and request cachers to answer a question you've placed in the micro... ensures they go the whole way...unless they become devious with previous finders

What about -1000 points for those folks that post a "Found It" log against their own caches :unsure: Seen plenty of these in the south western part of our country!!! :unsure:

Yes, I agree that there are some technical issues to circumvent here. But G, F and C have done just a fantastic job with the current site that I am sure they'd figure out a way around this in due course.

It's just a game after all, but if the ranking site is to have any credibility then we should all place close attention to the unwritten rules. It is considered bad form to log one's own cache as a find, or to log multiple finds. And a find is if you sign the log book, not see the container. Likewise, virtuals exist with the sole purpose of getting you to the site, not solving it by means of deciphering the clue on the internet.

Anyway, my 2c.

Long time since the last post/ answer from QFC, but we are still alive and um... whatever.

For all of those that visit the ranking page (the server bandwidth usage has to come from somewhere) you will see there is a new section that allows you to view the ranking according to province.

For a direct link, go to http://www.geocaching.za.net/provinceSelect.aspx .

If you are ranked in the unknown province, give us a shout, let us know where you come from, and we will place you back on the SA map.

Enjoy

QFC (part 2)

Thanx for the info Discombob, please keep it coming.

While on the topic of misplaced cachers, we have build a list of cachers over the last while but have a few stragglers and are not sure if they are still around/ active. All of then have owned caches at some point in time.

If anyone know these cachers/ are these cachers and would like to add them to the ranking system please let us know.

4x4offroad

Abazingeli

AFROmedia

albertvanbiljon

AntonPTA

atatmu48

Bosluis

Brads

calitzbf

callsign

Capricorn2

clifford & donovan

CoastPop

Colin & Jacs

Culling Song

Diamond Digger

Double D Cachers

Eternity

Fade-Dude

Finfoot

GeoRacer

gfm

GPSFrodo

GuyHarwood

janpe

jawn

Jean.Roux

Joe Keyter

johan65

Jumanji2004

juralot

kkevents

klaproos

krustychris

Kulwinder

lostinspace!

marcellomaestro

Matsokuwier

Phinius

Raymond E

revilov

Rhett & Scarlett

Richter Family

roland b

Royfamily

shc_cache

siener

Teebag

tlc_4play

tramper

trevorb

upuaut

waynejayes

yocurt

Edited by QFC

I'm sure the following cachers are from EC:

Angstrom,

Vaughan Rizzo,

Tim&Brig,

Xomoyi

and I'm fairly sure the following are as well:

marra,

ode

I also read in one of the forum topics that karoocacher has left the country.

2 new cachers have joined in the EC:

crash n burn,

Raski

Rhett & Scarlett (USA)

4x4offroad (GP)

MelitaM (GP)

AlexS (GP)

GPSMouse (GP)

Mad Max 4x4 (GP)

Adventure King (GP)

Mavenhugh (GP)

Fish Eagle (MP)