Oifga Coin

Cav Scout

I'm thinking about designing and odering geocoins for the newly formed OIFGA (Operation Iraqi Freedom Geocaching Association). I am open to any discussion. I am thinking about limiting the coins to only OIF/ Military service members or prior service members who have been or are on their way to Iraq. There will be only a hundred coins made. What do you think. The coins will be good for trading and rare...

You should make them available to all past military.  USAF Desert Storm

Since the primary focus will be US Military Iraqi War Veterans (any branch) past and present (Desert Shield/Storm, OIF I, II, and III.) I'm leaning more towards any of those folks who are currently geocachers on being the primary coin holders. They will have first dibs on the coins and then the coins will go to any geocacher who wants the coin.

Edited by Cav Scout
Put me down for 1. I was in Iraq for OIF 1 in 2003. I didn't get a chance to log caches, but did have my picture taken at Ziggurat of Ur

7fe06069-131a-46e0-b893-8b4a468f2e1d.jpg

As long as you were in the Military during the times I qouted you will be able to get a coin. I will start in order with who responded first and work my way down to the non military geocachers. I am still trying to decide if I should sell the coins/trade or just give them away for free. At this time I'm working on the design of the coin. There are a few geocachers here with me in Mosul who are helping me out with the coin design and issue. It may take a few months before they get sent out. Gary at quality lapel and pins will be making the coins for me. The first three coins will go to me and the other two cachers, MajorBrain, and Sparks.

I am excited about Cav Scout's idea. We are ready to spead the Geocaching wide open in Iraq, notwithstanding, the obvious hazards associated with being here. I agree with Cav Scout that this should be open to Military only, former whatever is up to Cav Scout, however, each coin will have the unique distinction of originating in a War Zone, and there are not too many that can claim that.......good, bad or indifferent.

I believe it should represent a salute to those fine Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines that serve or have served with distinction and honor over here every day. To carry these coins around here and bring them home at some point in the future carries on their memory and thus allows this coin a place of honor and distinction amongst coins and collectables. The process by which one is acquired and passed sould somehow pay tribute and not get lost as another "cool find" but serve as a "living memorial" carving a place in history of those that have been and those who will.

May God Bless all those who serve, wherever you are and wherever you have been...

Freedom is not free, just ask a soldier.

I don't have a personal coin to trade but would like to purchase some. Still in the military, closing in on 21 years. HC-130 crewchief (mechanic), combat search & rescue when deployed, Alaska search & rescue in state. Pilots without mechanics are just people walking around with cool jackets and sunglasses.

I don't have a personal coin to trade but would like to purchase some. Still in the military, closing in on 21 years. HC-130 crewchief (mechanic), combat search & rescue when deployed, Alaska search & rescue in state. Pilots without mechanics are just people walking around with cool jackets and sunglasses.

I have no way of telling whos who or if you are in the Military (past or present). I am going on the honor sysytem here with the OIFGA coin. Most of all I have met in the geocaching community are good honest people, even the ones I don't always agree with.

Im post Military, Did a few military excersies in Kuwait and did one into Iraq at night back in 93.. My older brother on the other hand was there and he is back in the US his hummer got hit with a RPG. Nothing was left from it but him.. He had to get Skin graphs from the wrist down on both hands.. had no skin tissue left.. Im just glad he is alive today.. But please put me down for 2 if you could

And Yes He Does Geocache..

Edited by YoGuRt99 +1
Im post Military, Did a few military excersies in Kuwait and did one into Iraq at night back in 93.. My older brother on the other hand was there and he is back in the US his hummer got hit with a RPG. Nothing was left from it but him.. He had to get Skin graphs from the wrist down on both hands.. had no skin tissue left.. Im just glad he is alive today.. But please put me down for 2 if you could

And Yes He Does Geocache..

Thank you for your service, and please tell your brother thank you for his service. In fact, thank you to all of you for putting your lives on the line for us. I am humbled and very grateful.

I am an OIF1 Veteran of the 82nd Airborne Division currently serving with the 101st Airborne Division. I have been assigned as Rear-D this time out since it would be my fourth combat deployment (already been to OEF1 and ODS, too). I am interested in purchasing one (or more?) when they become available.

Thanks for thinking of this!

SDAJumpmaster