Power Inverter

Pez Tonto

I'm considering taking a laptop on extended geocaching trips. I woud just use the laptop in the car and would use it for street navigation with MS S&T; managing cache info with GSAK; and gc.com access when wireless hotspots are available.

Since the laptop is a bit old and doesn't have a great battery, I would need to recharge and power the laptop from my car. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on laptop car power adapters and car power inverters. What are the advantages / disadvantages of DC adapters vs. AC inverters? are their particular brands or models that are recommended?

Thanks much.

Edited by Pez Tonto

I have the setup in my Jeep. Bought the biggest inverter I could for around $30. Just make sure the amperage rating is high enough for whatever the laptop draws then go up to the next size! Inverters put out a "false" sign wave (ac vs dc) but it doesn't seem to matter with Laptops as most of them convert the AC back down anyway. You can see some pics of my setup at:

My Jeep's home page (I don't even have a Home Page!) :)

click "View" box. Images are on pages 1 & 4

Edited by Crusso

DC adaptors are cheaper but most only put out your vehicle voltage or lower. My laptop specs 16V DC in and won't reliably charge from the ~13.5 from a lighter when the vehicle is running (and less when stopped).

You can buy a dandy 300 or 400W invertor cheap these days and that's plenty o' power for a laptop.

Some laptop manufacturers (and some aftermarket vendors) offer DC powerbricks. I got a dual-mode brick for my Thinkpad. It comes with two cords that attach to the power-in side; one DC cord with cig lighter plug, one AC cord with two-prong.

Eliminated the need for the converter. It's a fair shade larger than my normal brick, but given that Thinkpads have pretty small bricks anyway it's not that big a deal. I take the dual-brick when I'm going out of town.

Just a thought..