Someones Stealing The Caches

dblrngr

Gillette, WY had its first cache placed in June of this year. Since then two of us have placed 9 more caches. After 2 DNF's last week, I found that one of mine was missing. CAT2 just called and she has one missing also. Looks as tho we have a cache collector :)

The cache is no big deal, but I feel so bad that the Chilly Willy TB has also gone missing. Yingling I am so sorry about your TB.

I am heading out right after work to collect the other two TB's that are in our caches.

grrrrrrrrrr... thanks for letting me vent.

Edited by dblrngr

We have had a professional cache thief in our area for more than a year. Any of our caches that last more than a couple of weeks are still there because they are extremely dificult. This has changed the face of caching in our area. There are not longer the simple park and grabs. Instead it may take 3 or 4 tries before you can find the cache. It also means that as a cache owner you prepare multiple containers for each cache so that when it is plundered you can replace it.

:)

We have had a professional cache thief in our area for more than a year.  Any of our caches that last more than a couple of weeks are still there because they are extremely dificult.  This has changed the face of caching in our area.  There are not longer the simple park and grabs.  Instead it may take 3 or 4 tries before you can find the cache.  It also means that as a cache owner you prepare multiple containers for each cache so that when it is plundered you can replace it.

I recommend making most new caches "Members Only" to deter the thieves. Thieves are not likely to purchase the Premium Membership. Thus, if a cache is well-hidden and not likely to be found accidentally, then it is less likely to be stolen.

If you own a "Members Only" cache, you can see who has viewed your cache through the "Read the audit log."

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

If you own a "Members Only" cache, you can see who has viewed your cache through the "Read the audit log."

But not the people that got a PQ with the cache info in it.

(not that it matters, how can you prove someone that viewed the page was the one that stole it anyways?)

If the pirate's stupid enough to admit they were the one, they'll get banned quickly...

One local cacher here bought a cache with contents on ebay, and it had an active TB in it when it arrived!! Now one has to wonder, what's a TB doing in a cache that's being sold on ebay? I'm going to ask our local guy for the name of the ebay seller...

Wonder if this is a new money making scheme - steal a cache then ebay it for money?

Or at the very least, if you're selling caches "pre-made" and including a tb that's owned by someone else, that's just wrong....