Numismatist Benchmarkers

Well it is time to explain the new rules for the numismatist benchmarker....What is that you ask? It is the hobby coin collector who also hunts benchmarks as a hobby. You know the type, he's the one with the old coins in a cigar box or top drawer of the dresser or just thrown in a jar in the cupboard. He's been collecting them since he was a kid about knee-high to a grasshopper.

Well his hobby is about to change.

Rule # 1 is now he must learn all the different classifications of coin conditions, you know, the VG45, MS51, UNC, proof, etc. If you don't know you will have to learn them & soon!

Rule #2 is every coin worth at least 5 times it's face value must now be in a plastic case to protect it.

Rules will be added as I see fit. If you have any questions about a particular coin please submit pictures showing the obverse and the reverse of the coin. If you have found a really old or neat coin please post the pictures here. OH did I mention that you should be wearing "White Cotton Gloves". I would hate to have to reprimand you for not following the rules completely when you have made such a great find, but the rules apply.

Oh, and the gloves have to be "Cotton" not "Rayon" since the Numismatology Assoc. only allows "Cotton".

It doesn't matter whether it is a hobby just for fun or not, you must now comply with My rules.

If you folks are serious about wanting people to log their finds here, like this is the NGS, then I have a suggestion on how to make that happen.

Look at the NGS forum and you will see that as of right now the last post was almost 2 Weeks ago! You need to liven up that forum. It was intended for the hardcore benchmark hunter (must not be very many of these) who wants to follow the NGS guidelines as close as possible. Newbie see it as an empty forum with nothing new to perk their interest.

Start posting threads explaining what the guidelines are and why they are important, why the database is important, why it should be updated when even a good many surveyors don't update the logs. Entice the people to read that forum!

If the NGS forums get active, newbies will read the threads (and lurk & learn). You have the opportunity and place to teach the ideas you feel so strong about, and it just sits there empty.

This forum is for the Geocaching benchmark hunting group who prefer to keep the hunting as a hobby and light-hearted, The NGS forum is waiting to be utilized for it's intended purpose. Of course if you don't want it, I'm sure Jeremy could put that server space to use for something else.

My apology for being so long-winded and hope to see an improvement in the NGS forum.

Time to make CaseyB earn his keep! :lol::)

John

I have an Indian Head penny that I pulled out of a waterfall. I shall have to look for it, to take a picture. Condition is 'About Fair'. Whatcha want, it was sitting in a waterfall for seventy or eighty years! If memory serves, it is 1898.

Of course, About Fair is how I rate the coordinates on most benchmarks. :) Hey, what's two miles off on a scaled benchmark?!?

I first read this as "nudist benchmarkers".

It has its PROS and CONS. On the one hand, you don't rip a pair of good slacks on barbed wire. The downside is.....no pockets. :)

-Paul-

So, THAT'S why the compass comes with a lanyard!

[correcting spelling]

Edited by PFF

It has its PROS and CONS. On the one hand, you don't rip a pair of good slacks on barbed wire. The downside is.....no pockets. :)

-Paul-

So, THAT'S why the compass comes with a laynard!

I would have thought the downside would be ripping something else on the barbed wire. :lol:

R_C

Although there is an existing Benchmark forum for the Geocaching.com site, many Benchmarkers have gone the extra mile to help the NGS in their recovery efforts of monuments around the United States. Where the benchmarking site is just for fun, offical monument recovery has more distinct requirements for a "find." For this reason we have established a secondary forum.

Care to guess where this quote came from? Color added.

You will note that the substance of my contributions to the discussion regarding "finding" stem-no-disks with scaled coordinates was at odds with the recent guidance provided by the NGS. The whole point of the discussion (as I read it) was this: is it, in fact, "fun" to "find" stem-no-disks with scaled coordinates.

Your "fun" may be different than my "fun", but don't presume to lecture me on what I think my fun is.

Will

benchmarking site is just for fun

I, Am having fun. To add, I am free to post where I like. The NGS forum was planned for the technical discussions but I cannot force people to use it. I just have the hope is all... Maybe it will catch on.

I have made several requests of moderators to pin some threads here. One, a link to the NGS Forum, and Two, a link to the FAQ for those who are looking for unlisted Benchmark, as it is confusing to some what exactly the FAQ is and where it is. I have been working on this for oh, five months now but there has been no response. I suppose my wheel is not squeeky enough.

But John, you opposed the formation of the NGS Forum, and did not get on board with the idea until it became apparent you could not prevent it. I am not sure I see you as a member of the "we" group that accomplished that. So there is no credit for you to take there.

I had hoped the NGS forum would relieve you of the added Blood Pressure John. It was part of Why I advocated it because I saw this coming. Well, Some things in life are come see come saw. Like the rest, I suppose you will just have to muddle through.

Rob

Max Catcher wrote:

Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Well said, Max! And a good reminder.

Hats off to you for reading all this material. We casual users can pick and choose what threads we want to follow. I would not have the patience to read 'em all...

-Paul-

It has its PROS and CONS. On the one hand, you don't rip a pair of good slacks on barbed wire. The downside is.....no pockets. :blink:

-Paul-

So, THAT'S why the compass comes with a lanyard!

[correcting spelling]

You forgot to mention how easy it is to spot the ticks when benchmarking nude. Just a quick flick of the finger and the tick gone. :blink:

John

Tick flicking?

:D:o:D:D:blink::blink::D:blink::ph34r:

Don't knock it till you try it.

Except when the temp is 20 degrees,there aint no ticks to flick.

I guess that goes with my rare,fine,and extra fine coins.

The post cards and paper monies.

The Stamps and Old bottles.

Might as well collect everything you can,you only live once.

I am sure this will not be the only time I will ever get flack over something new I have done.