Tb-only Cache

g0t0pless

Is it acceptable to make a cache for only Travel Bugs?

I am making a multi-offset-puzzle cache, that will take AT LEAST a full day to complete. I wanted it to be a little more rewarding than just toys from McDonald's.

If I do make a TB-only cache, would people treat as such?

Also, I am planning to put a few extras in for FTF.

There's certainly nothing wrong with bug caches. However, I seem to have noticed lately that most bug caches seldom really get much bug traffic unless they are strategically located near airports and such where cachers can use them to conveniently drop off bugs as they come and go.

It seems to me that 'local' bug hotels and such just don't seem to get many bug visitors any longer. Anyone else notice this?

I feel the reason the local bug shops are not frequented is the rules placed on them by the cache owners. Most have the 'request' that swap a bug for a bug and so on. So many, 'specially newbies, feel if they don't have a bug to swap, they won't hunt them. I maybe wrong and prolly am. ... My thoughts as bug owner that I want my bugs traveling. To get caught in a dungeon slows the progress.

$0.02

:)

trouble with bug hotels is the bugs have no instructions!

Should have laminated tag attached saying where they want to go...

otherwise anyone picking up bugs should just take as many as they want with no instructions and bung then anywhere

Too many sorts of caches! causes headache!

Bugs should just be in traditional ones...........

It seems to me that 'local' bug hotels and such just don't seem to get many bug visitors any longer. Anyone else notice this?

Even the ones without restrictions I don't particularly like to leave bugs in. They tend to be not particularly interesting as caches and in high traffic areas in danger of being muggled. I much prefer to leave bugs in caches I particularly liked. Even if I get caught with one I've held too long, I'll leave it in a nearby cache in preference to a hotel.

Since we have had a professional cache thief in our area the most popular travelbug hotel is in the cache owners front yard. If you want to place or pick up a bug you call ahead so the cache is put out for you. The cache owner also provides information on the local forums about the goals of different bugs in the cache so prospective movers will know if there is anything they want to pick up. It has worked pretty well.

If I did an all-day geocache, I'd want to get something I could keep as a souvenir at the end of it, not a travel bug :) . Also, if it's that difficult, it would tend to become a TB trap, since fewer people will visit it. We did a really long multi not long ago, and found a TB that had been stuck in there for four months. If that cache had half a dozen bugs, they'd still be there this time next year.

There's certainly nothing wrong with bug caches. However, I seem to have noticed lately that most bug caches seldom really get much bug traffic unless they are strategically located near airports and such where cachers can use them to conveniently drop off bugs as they come and go.

I put a bug motel in my front yard about 2 weeks ago, and it's seen a fair share of bugs. the only rules in place are to adhere to each bugs mission - no "1 for 1" swapping or other stupid rules. I don't care if it sits empty, or if it's full of bugs. It's close enough to the PA Turnpike and another major highway that it will see some traveler action. Since most of the other caches in the area are small or micros, a lot of locals use it as a dumping ground for bugs they've held onto too long. The cache itself is a mailbox that's screwed to a wooden pole, so it's not going anywhere without a little effort and noise. It's locked with a combo lock too; the combination is what you need to actually find when you arrive on site. Keeps it that much more secure from Joe Public. And it's premium members only, so only those who pay to play will see it on their radar.

Is it acceptable to make a cache for only Travel Bugs?

I am making a multi-offset-puzzle cache, that will take AT LEAST a full day to complete. I wanted it to be a little more rewarding than just toys from McDonald's.

If I do make a TB-only cache, would people treat as such?

Also, I am planning to put a few extras in for FTF.

We are traveling cachers - only 3% of our cache finds are from our remote local area. I have never done an all day cache and seldom consider going after any cache that requires more than two hours. I think you will not get much more than 3% of traveling cachers to attempt your cache. I suspect that, depending on where you live, only 10 to 20 people per year will visit this cache. Therefore I agree with others that you might be creating a restricted access tb hotel otherwise known as a tb prison.

On the other hand, I would probably do your one day cache if it was near my home. But on the third hand I would probably "rescue" as many bugs as seemed appropriate at the time.

And no, not all people will treat your cache as tb only. Some will rescue rather than place bugs and many will add cool trinkets, or boring trinkets or just plain junk.

If you place it well, though, I suspect all who succeed in finding your cache will be happy that they did.