Is A Micro In A Parking Lot Worth It

ScottFla

Let me explain a bit :laughing: There is a road in Tallahassee, Fl that as you top the small hill, offers a great view of the State Capitol and the few other buildings that are higher than three storys.

There is a shopping center at the top of the hill and I want to show the view. So, a cache in the parking lot would work very well. There are not a lot of scenic views in this part of Florida, too far to the beach, flat ground, etc etc.

So, although I'm adding to the 'micro in a parking lot' number, do you think this is enough of a reason for a park and grab type of cache?

This is my third hide and the other two I have hidden have been very well received...if you guys remember my last post about hiding a cache.

We like micros in parking lots...you can log a find without waking up a sleeping child, undoing the car seat straps, retying a little shoe, checking to make sure all the car doors are locked, putting on your cachepack (which weighs about 20 lbs when you have kids along), etc. Not everyone has the time or inclination to make a 2 mile hike on a regular basis. Also, there are very few caches that are TRULY handicapped accessible...why not do a nice thing and make that parking lot micro wheelchair friendly? You might just make someone's day! :laughing:

Sometimes it's not about the cache but where it takes your or what it shows you. I hide a lame guardrail micro almost above a benchmark. I wanted to bring people there to see what a real benchmark was and give them the ability to log that icon w/o searching all that hard. I've had no complaints so far!

The only micros I don't like are the ones that are hidden in shopping center parking lots. However, that's only because the only view you get is usually the front of the store. I LOVE micros that have something to offer: a view, a bit of history, a cool place to eat that I would never have known about otherwise. I say go for it!!! My offer to bounce cache ideas around still stands by the way. I've been on business travel so haven't been as active on AIM lately. :laughing:

Finding a nice view is a recurring theme for my microcaches. I want to take you there, but if I can't hide a full size cache, a micro is the right solution.

Here is the view from a lame hide-a-key cache:

72f2f61d-3ba8-4bf6-babd-5ef6e1e5193d.jpg

This one's a boring altoids tin -- yawn! -- we've all seen *that* hide before:

b2b58037-6346-4130-94c7-8e013e2e1b90.jpg

And here's one magneted to a pedestrian bridge -- how freakin' boring.

1344142_200.jpg

Finally, the cache at the spot where this picture was taken began its life as a FILM CANISTER. A LAME film canister! It's now a mint tin.

cc9dc3db-e8e9-43c0-9431-a312bc7a079a.jpg

Curse those dadgum Leprechauns for littering these worthless micros all over Pittsburgh.

I would rather have a parking lot micro over one in a forest of beetle killed spruce trees with a hint "near a small tree", that I have to walk over 100 yards off the trail after walking 2 miles to get to the area. If the micro shows me something I have not seen before, go do it. I have seen trees.

Okay, being a rookie, I just found my first cache yesterday (and I'm telling the whole world about it). I decided to do a parking lot micro, just to be sure I could enter info in my GPS correctly. I'm taking my family out this weekend and wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing prior. My first thought was that a micro cache would be boring, but quick and easy on my way to work. Well, while it was easy, it was NOT boring! Being my first cache, I can't explain the thrill I felt just finding an M&M tube with a piece of paper in it!!!!!

So, despite the fact that I just rambled on, my point is that every cache is worth it. Ya just never know when some rookie will find his/her first cache and have their day made!

Cachers come in all sizes and shapes, all different likes and dislikes. Some like those stealth-required-busy-parking-lot grabs, others like to be taken into the back woods discovering new trails they never knew existed, others like travelling in their own neighborhoods seeing sites they've never seen before.

Point is, there's nothing lame about any caches, in my opinion. Like the poster above said "hide it and they will come." So go ahead, hide them! We all secretly love them. :laughing:

After a long hard day of not finding jack a parking lot micro is a refreshing way to end the day. If it was a hot thirsty day it's even better if that parking lot is by a store that specializes in liquid refreshment.

What was the question again?

Oh! Not only will this cache have a nice view, there is also a wing shop with beer 20 yards across the lot :)

Oh! Not only will this cache have a nice view, there is also a wing shop with beer 20 yards across the lot :lol:

:)September 14 by The Leprechauns (1583 found)

Wow! I mean, Wow! This was my favorite cache in Florida. Absolutely breathtaking. I will always remember my visit to this special spot. Thanks so much for bringing me here by hiding this cache!

I had a double order of the extra spicy hot wings, and a fabulous India Pale Ale.

Some of the other logs mention that there's a "view" at this cache. What's that all about? Anyways, TFTC.

Scott: Been there. It's a nice view.

Don't fret. I have a parking lot cache that's nowhere near as nice as yours. But it IS handicap (wheelchair) accessible, and it's in a nice place. There are no drug crazies, homeless bums or sex predators nearby.

Yours has more plusses than minusses. If someone chooses to skip it, that's fine. But it might be one of the few that somebody else is even ABLE to look for. They'll bless you for it.

I agreee-go hide it already! Then post a nice picture here for those of us who cannot come to FL to find it. I found only one lightpost cache out of 60+ this weekend, but it was at a marina with some very nice boats to look at and dream about. Also, I hade never seen one at this kind of post before, and said-hmm "I wonder if this kind of skirt lifts up too." :D

The lady returning from her tennis game who was boarding the nearby boat shot me a dirty look. :(:(:P

Let me explain a bit :laughing: There is a road in Tallahassee, Fl that as you top the small hill, offers a great view of the State Capitol and the few other buildings that are higher than three storys.

There is a shopping center at the top of the hill and I want to show the view. So, a cache in the parking lot would work very well. There are not a lot of scenic views in this part of Florida, too far to the beach, flat ground, etc etc.

So, although I'm adding to the 'micro in a parking lot' number, do you think this is enough of a reason for a park and grab type of cache?

This is my third hide and the other two I have hidden have been very well received...if you guys remember my last post about hiding a cache.

Inform the establishments owner first and obtain permission.

And if you really think it's that great of a view go right ahead.

If you do talk to the owner/manager and they comply they may tell you places where you could successfully hide a larger cache safely also.

I agreee-go hide it already! Then post a nice picture here for those of us who cannot come to FL to find it. I found only one lightpost cache out of 60+ this weekend, but it was at a marina with some very nice boats to look at and dream about. Also, I hade never seen one at this kind of post before, and said-hmm "I wonder if this kind of skirt lifts up too." B)

The lady returning from her tennis game who was boarding the nearby boat shot me a dirty look. :P:blink::D

:blink::laughing: