Search On Maps

trijntje

All,

Let's say you're going on a trip. Say you know where you're going on a map (like, I'm going to drive along i-80 in Ohio). Without knowing any more (zip codes, lat/lon), is there ANY way to search for caches? Seems like I just want the click-able map that shows caches when you zoom in... but I find no such beastie.

?

Trijntje

If you are not a premium member use the search by state drop down choice on the front page of the geocaching website, then click the map link...http://www.geocaching.com/map/OH.asp and then zoom in where ever you want in the state. Not the most convient but it works.

If you are a premium member I hear pocket queries work well or the interactive maps.

The zoomable and pannable online maps do indeed work well for premium members. I'm not technologically sophisticated enough to use the current "caches along a route" solutions, so I use a combination of map panning and pocket queries. If I'm driving to Toledo, I'll order pocket queries for Toledo and Cleveland. For the two big gaps between Toledo and Cleveland and between Cleveland and my home in Pittsburgh, I pull up a Geocaching.com map here on the site, zoom to show a view of caches within two miles of the interstate, and pan my way along the route I'll be traveling. When I spot rest stop caches or caches near exits, I click the "identify" button and download the individual GPX files for those caches. Then I merge those GPX files with my main pocket queries. This method works very well when traveling in a long straight line through an area that isn't very cache-dense, thus not warranting a pocket query.

Edited by The Leprechauns
All,

Let's say you're going on a trip. Say you know where you're going on a map (like, I'm going to drive along i-80 in Ohio). Without knowing any more (zip codes, lat/lon), is there ANY way to search for caches? Seems like I just want the click-able map that shows caches when you zoom in... but I find no such beastie.

?

Trijntje

I use goggle earth check it out...helps if you have a cable modem though................copy and paste coordinates and bam you get a general idea...........