Category Proposal

Hello,

Here follows a typical Belgian proposal :

A category (or subcategory) « Traditional breweries »

For creating the waymark, the type of beer (Gueuze, Trappist, and so on), the opening hours, the visiting and buying possibilities and other useful details would be required, along with a picture of the place or a reference to a website displaying such pictures.

To validate the log, the usual “proof of visit” (picture with you and/or your gps with the place in the background) would be required, along with a proof of tasting (picture of the bottle/glas or scan of the label…) with comments.

Those who accomplish a great number of logs in a short period will be awarded a health hazard warning, however.

With love from Belgium…

There isn't one like this (exactly), but brewery tours do fit fine in the Factory Tours category.

OK

I agree that any brewery, even the smallest, is a factory.

The possibility to visit the place to taste or buy their production can be assimilated to a “tour”.

But if these principles are accepted, this will broaden significantly the category “factory tours”. For instances, wine, oyster, local candies and pastries, champagne, foie gras, sausage producers, and so on may qualify as waymark in this category.

Why not change “Factory tours” to “Factory visits” and create two new variables in this category: “Guided tour” (one possible answer being “none available”) and, for easy search, “Type of production” (beer, toys, candies, as example of answers)?

Alternately, “factory visits” could be promoted to a general category with subcategories like the “traditional breweries” of my proposal, but this would mean a large amount of subcategories.

I understand that this remark also pertains to other posts in the Waymarking forums, discussing the general policy for building the tree of categories and subcategories.

Regards

Pierre