Explorist Xl For 369.00

flir67

Monday 10/3.

I just took a look at the website and theyhave the Explorist XL on reserve for $449.00. Not $369.

I also like the idea that the XL is on AA batteries. At least you can take this unit ouit into the backcountry for a week. It is kind of impossible to recharge your lithium battery at the top of Tioga Pass on your third day out.

That is the only significant drawback to the Explorist line. If I were a serius user of a GPSr I would have to consider a different brand. I wish I had bought a different brand. I just don't understand how Magellan can be so shortsighted.

CAStarman

I just took a look at the website and theyhave the Explorist XL on reserve for $449.00. Not $369.

If you add the item to your cart, you will see the price indicated by the original poster. Copy and pasted from their website:

"MAP Price" stands for "Minimum Advertised Price" which means that we are not allowed to advertise some of the actual prices we sell for because they are below the manufacturers Minimum Advertised Price.

In these cases you can simply click on the "add to cart" button to see our price or view the "Details" page for a description of the current special we are running.

"MAP Price" stands for "Minimum Advertised Price" which means that we are not allowed to advertise some of the actual prices we sell for because they are below the manufacturers Minimum Advertised Price.

In these cases you can simply click on the "add to cart" button to see our price or view the "Details" page for a description of the current special we are running.

The so called "MAP" is a marketing gimmic. There is no such thing as a "Minimum Advertised Price" set by a manufacturer. All a manufacturer can do is set a MSRP, or Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price, but they cannot tell retailers prices they can advertise at. If they do try to enforce a MAP, they are in violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/2000/05/mapanalysis.htm

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but why do people think there is a big difference between carrying spare AA batteries or carrying a spare, fully charged Li Ion battery?????????????? This is not a deal breaker people, buy a spare battery and carry it with you for crying out loud! (rant over) :rolleyes:

The so called "MAP" is a marketing gimmic. There is no such thing as a "Minimum Advertised Price" set by a manufacturer. All a manufacturer can do is set a MSRP, or Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price, but they cannot tell retailers prices they can advertise at. If they do try to enforce a MAP, they are in violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/2000/05/mapanalysis.htm

I'd have to disagree. The case you linked to was very specific -- the FTC ruled it was a violation because they did very strict MAP policies. They did not at all state that all MAP policies were violations of the FTC Act at all. What they said was that, in the music case: "The MAP programs were implemented with an anticompetitive intent and they had significant anticompetitive effects. In addition, there was no plausible business justification for these programs."

So, the FTC seems to indicate that many MAP programs are acceptable and not violations of the FTC Act. Also, the music case involved co-op advertising funds being withheld. That is different than just refusing to renew someone as an approved dealer -- which violating MAP can result in for many products -- and that is NOT an FTC violation.

- John...

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but why do people think there is a big difference between carrying spare AA batteries or carrying a spare, fully charged Li Ion battery?????????????? This is not a deal breaker people, buy a spare battery and carry it with you for crying out loud! (rant over) :ph34r:

I should think that one reason is that for the price of 1 Li battery you could buy enough AA's to last a whole lot longer.

AA's are much more readily available when both of your Li batteries are dead. ( Unless you buy 3 or 4 or ........)

Not every one uses their units for 1 day geocaching only.

...Not every one uses their units for 1 day geocaching only.

Ah, "not everyone" is the operative phrase here.

For those who really and truly need longer time between charges, the Explorist is not a good idea. Hard core outdoor types, who spend days at a time away from any supply of electricity.

BUT: Not everyone puts 12-14 hours continuous use on their GPS without access to some charging point - be it the USB port on their computer, the lighter-plug in their car, or an A/C wall outlet.

For anyone who uses the GPS in their car, or who comes home at the end of the day when they're done caching - the rechargeable battery is a terrific convenience. Even if "not everyone" would appreciate it.

Tell the truth: When was the last time YOU spent more than a day away from a power outlet of any kind, AND were using your GPS for at least 12 hours in that period? And how often does that happen?

If you can't answer "recently" and "pretty often" - then the Explorist battery should be a non-issue.

Edited by lee_rimar