Hunting Gps!

Budbrew

I would only reccomend that you get a unit that has reasonable battery life, uses standard replaceable AA batteries, marks waypoints, records tracks, and is reasonably water resistant. Having a calander that tells you sunrise and sunset times is also a plus. Topo maps are also a big plus. These features can be had from each of the 3 manufactures that you listed. :laughing: ImpalaBob (I use a Garmin 60C.)

Lowrance has come out with the I-finder Hunt, with Mapcreate 6.3 Topo maps you can get for it, I can't make any personal recomendations, but it should be a good unit. I can say Mapcreate Hunt is very detailed. I have it for my AirMap. GMA, WMA, and any other public hunting grounds are displayed. There is also Topo and intermittent stream data. The only thing about this setup is be prepared to do a lot of computer work to get it set up.

Mapcreate will run you about $120+

I-finder Hunt should run about $200+ But I am guessing.

I have a Garmin 72, no mapping data, no need for a computer, but it will get you from point A to point B, record points of interest, i.e your deerstand or truck, and it is pretty rugged. It should run 16 hours on a set of batteries, and has Sun/ Moon and Best Hunting/ Fishing times charts.

Garmin 72 is about $150 at Wal-mart.

As with any GPS it depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend.

Hunting is a very broad catagory.

I'm mainly a bird hunter who hunts in South Carolina's lowcountry. I'm also a Garmin guy so I can only speak to Garmin units.

Here's the list of what I consider important features for a hunter and the reasonings:

1) Color unit: better battery life and much better screen contrast

2) USB interface, about 25 times quicker download than a serial interface

3) Sensors (Altimeter and compass): Altimeter is a good weather barometer when you are sitting still - the compass allows you to draw a bearing even if sitting motionless in a tree stand.

4) Autorouting: Most hunter travel at least some in pursuit of their passion. Autorouting makes it easy and safe.

5) Small: We already carry a lot of gear so keep size to a minimum.

My suggestion from the Garmin line would be an eTrex Vista C if 24 MB of memory is enough for you travel habits.

Do you think that lowrance's PHD C will be good gps for deer hunting purposes?

With a big enough slingshot. Yes, but I'm not sure if it will be legal.

Seriously I don't know Lowrance but I do know you had some good advice and were given good criteria. We don't know if you hunt from your rig, or hike 27 miles into the back country and some other key things. But if you take the criteria given and apply it to that GPS you will have your answer.

Even if you do not get a Lowrance I-Finder Hunt, you can still use Mapcreate 6.3 Hunt with another Lowrance unit. Lowrance say's that any unit that uses the MMC/ SD card will accept Mapcreate 6.3. I am not really familiar with the PHD C, but I think that is the case.

Edited by Airmapper
Do you think that lowrance's PHD C will be good gps for deer hunting purposes?

Check to make sure its waterproof. Some Lowrance units aren't. They also are a bit on the large side. If you want something compact, the Vista C or Legend C might be good choices. The Garmin units have a hunting feature that is supposed to predict the best times for hunting. I have no idea as to how valuable the feature is in the real world though.

I have an IFinder Hunt. I would rather use the IFinder Go for hunting, it's much smaller and lighter and it runs four times as long on a set of batteries. I hunt birds in big woods. and I don't feel like I particularly need topo maps for Minnesota. but when you're five miles back in, it's nice to know for sure where you left the car.

The compas in the unit is worthless. Get a real compas. Here where it *can* get cold and you can take off in the wrong direction nd have a twenty mile walk before you come out somewhere if you manage to walk straight, battery life is very important.

Are the lowrance units really that big that it is just anoying? Well put it this way I am either going with a lowrance unit or a Magellan because I dont like how outdated the Garmin topo program is! Also briansnat does the compass feature work on the lowrance units such as the unit you us the H20?

Are the lowrance units really that big that it is just anoying? Well put it this way I am either going with a lowrance unit or a Magellan because I dont like how outdated the Garmin topo program is! Also briansnat does the compass feature work on the lowrance units such as the unit you us the H20?

No, it's not that big. In fact, it's smaller than Magellan Meridian. For me it's size is comfortable.

iFinder H2O doesn't have compass. The screen you are asking about is actually Navigation Screen. It looks like a compass, but it's not. It's a typical screen which you can find on almost any handheld GPSr. It can show you orientation ONLY if you are moving. In addition to that screen some GPSrs are also have real electronic compass, which works as regular magnetic compass and can show you orientation even if you are standing still.

You can find more information in manuals (available on Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance web sites).

I also recommend you to download iFinder H2O emulator: http://www.lowrance.com/software/PCSoftwar...DERH2O_demo.exe and some maps for it: http://www.lowrance.com/software/PCSoftware/demomaps.asp and play with it on your PC. It behave exact as real iFinder and has special Simulator mode which allows you to imitate the real navigation.

My first gps ( garmin 12XL ) was bought and used exclusivly for hunting ( before geocaching came along ). Without all the bells and whistles you really don't need for finding your way back to the car/truck and maybe marking a trail to where you shot that animal. Now I have a better gps with all the gadgets but you really don't need all that stuff to have a good simple gps for hunting. An garmin etrex will do the job just fine.

team sidewinder

Then you aren't going to like the Magellan or Lowrance Topo programs either because they get their data from the same place - USGS maps. THey will only be as up to date as the USGS maps are for a region.

As far as size, the Lowrance iFinders (other than the Go units) are large and clunky. Not as big as a Magellan Meridian, but considerbably larger than an eTrex, eXplorist or iFinder GO.

I don't think the H20 has a magnetic compass. All GPS units have a compass, but most require that you are moving for it to work. The units with magnetic compass work whil you are standing still.

The value of these magnetic compasses is debatable because people should always carry a handheld compass in case the GPS fails anyway. While they are handy, being that you are already carrying a compass many people feel they aren't worth the extra money.

All the Lowrance iFinders will easily fit in your shirt pocket. Personally, I've never been at all concerned about its size. Also this allows for a larger screen, which has excellent resolution and 16-level gray scale.

The Hunt model does have a built-in electronic compass and barometric altimeter. However for the compass to work, the unit must be held flat. Any tilt will negatively affect the results. Also, all built-in electronic compasses must be calibrated. Lowrance says their Hunt model only needs "periodic" re-calibration. I believe there are other brands that may need it every time the unit is turned on.

I agree with Reidster, I have taken my AirMap hunting, I didn't think it was bulky, I've always liked how it would fit in a pocket.

As for the Topo maps, I think they are pretty accurate even if they were made in the 1950's, I don't think the major lay of the land could change that much, considering the contur lines are spaced at 50 feet.

No I don't think of my iFinder Pro as "big or bulky" at all.. yes an etrex is smaller, but they also have a much smaller screen and have a LOT less memory capacity due to the lack of a memory card slot.

If an iFinder is "big" then a Magellan Meridian is "huge" by comparison. And even a Garmin 60 series is dimensionally larger than an iFinder when you factor in that antenna stub on the top, AND the 60 still has a smaller screen.

I'm not sure how the iFinder(s) compare weight wise..

I tend to agree with the idea that you want a unit that uses standard batteries. Of course that is only of value if you have spares along.

The other important thing is to remember to store your location when you leave the car. Bloody things are great at finding their way back, but not worth a darn as car divining rods...

I've got a Magellan SporTrak. Any small handheld unit that claims a modicum of water resistance will do as well.

As far as maps go, Garmin's Mapsource Topo is 1:100,000, Lowrance Mapcreate is 1:24,000 and I believe that Magellan's Topo 3d USA is also 1:24,000. I have the Magellan and Garmin software and Magellan wins hands down. I absolutely love the detail. As for Garmin, in the back country, its pretty much worthless for detail.

I have been having problems transfering the topo maps from the computer to the gps though and am thinking about going with a Lowrance next. Maybe the third time will be the charm for me.

This is the first year I've had a chance to use my Garmin 60CS while hunting. I probably would have been in trouble a couple times if I didn't have it with me since during the early part of the season the leaves are still on the trees and brush. I love it! I agree with Major Catastrophe, don't forget to mark the location of your vehicle before you start your hunt. I've also found that tracking is very important, especially if you are in an area where you have to pick your way through rough country. Tracking is also nice if you are on a 4-wheeler and in an area with a lot of unmarked trails. It's always nice to be able to find your way back to the starting point! <_<