Cool Waymark Pages

I realize as I look at the waymark pages that other people have put together that there are some that jump out at me more than others. Not because of the category they are in, or because of the thing found at the posted coordinates, but because of the way the owner put the waymark page together.

I find that if a picture is posted on the page I tend to linger a bit longer. I like lots of information instead of just a simple one line description, but not all lumped together in a huge paragraph. I also like it when there is a clickable link in case I want more information.

I have been trying to adopt (ok, steal) some of the ideas I've gotten from others and use them in my own waymark pages in order to be more appealing to my potential visitors.

Here are some examples of waymark pages that have features that are personally appealing to me:

Drayton Manor Theme Park

(interesting picture, links to other pictures in an HTML table)

Foothills Stadium

(picture, a team logo, plenty of information, and a link)

Dixie's Barbeque : Home of "The Man"

(I like the personalized description, really seems to capture the essence of the place. But I really like the picture - it seems to be a photo of the owner, as opposed to just another photo of the outside of a building)

If you have some favorites, post them here - I'd love to see what other people consider to be examples of well-built waymark pages. :laughing:

My current favorite is John Denver's Last Flight. The waymark founder did a great job of formatting his page to draw the eye in, without going overboard on images.

I also think the waymark itself is a great find, since the founder points out that there are no 'official' memorials at the location.

A pattern is emerging, no? We picked those waymarks because they have an image displayed. As I understand it, Bootron and Jeremy will be working on a way to make it easier for waymark founders to add images without muddling through HTML. I very much look forward to that.

My current favorite is John Denver's Last Flight. The waymark founder did a great job of formatting his page to draw the eye in, without going overboard on images.

I also think the waymark itself is a great find, since the founder points out that there are no 'official' memorials at the location.

A pattern is emerging, no? We picked those waymarks because they have an image displayed. As I understand it, Bootron and Jeremy will be working on a way to make it easier for waymark founders to add images without muddling through HTML. I very much look forward to that.

Thanks OpinioNate (that was kind of a tough one to find) :)

I really like the formatting on the three that CTD's posted. Pretty amazing what people are putting together.

I agree, that if Boo and Jeremy can come up with some way of getting the pictures on the same page as the descriptions somehow, that it would be a huge enhancement in my eyes.

Here's one of my favorites:

Sentinel Dome, Yosemite

The Sarge also had some great pictures in the gallery, but unfortunately didn't include them on the description page.

Edited by Touchstone
Foothills Stadium

(picture, a team logo, plenty of information, and a link)

Although I can't take credit for all the text, I do try to give as much information as possible, since I view Waymarking as a listings site.

I try to do similar with all my waymark pages.

To toot my own horn, I think I have one of the better McDonald's listings:

McBarge (Expo 86)

Edited by dogbreathcanada

Speaking of Touchstone ...

I just noticed this new waymark: The Macon Disaster.

Very well done! Interesting story and nice layout on the page. And I like the idea of drawing viewers in with a question in the Short Description ("Riddle me this: ...."). Don't think I've seen that before.

Now if only you had really visited the site, I would have been really impressed!