Disposable Cameras In Cameras

twjolson & Kay

I think the worst thing would be moisture getting in your cache. Is it in a location likely to get damp?

I expect condensation from using the camera and it warming up then cooling down might not be to bad.

A silica gel bag stored with the camera might help, but there could be a health hazard if a child or animal swallows some of the contents.

If the camera stays dry I think you'd be OK.

I've taken cameras skiing and not had problems.

Edited by kevenh

I developed and posted the photos for the cache camera I left in Arboreal Off The Bike Path. The camera survived temperatures down to -40° F and up to +90° F and most of the photos turned out well (you can see them in the cache page's photo gallery). Since we have so little daylight up here in the winter, I switched to disposable cameras with with a flash to give people a chance to get a good photo under poor lighting conditions. The camera was placed in a ziplock baggie to keep out any moisture and spent about seven months (December through July) in the cache before all frames were used up. Overall, the results were very encouraging, so I continue to put cameras in my ammo can caches.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

as far as the camera getting wet..they have waterproof disposible cameras. the cold i dont know about but if someone says it survived then try it...most you'll be out is like $10-$20. And living in maine....i call 32f a good temp for the winter :D we had one winter...i think it was january...was -40(with windchill) for 2 weeks :laughing:

If the camera wasn't too expensive lets make this a test. You might even send the pictures to the camera manufacturer, they love stories about how well their products perfromed.

My wife is from Poland, they invented really cold winters. She laughs at all of the winter clothes in the stores here in Alabama. She says how silly we all are. I have spent two Christmas holidays in Poland and there are not words to describe the Siberian wind slicing through your tender parts at 50 MPH when is - 15C. Brrrr seems too tropical.

Good luck with the camera

It should stay fine as long as someone doesn't try to use it. Film becomes brittle at very cold temps.

I'm not so sure of that. For years and years I have kept my bulk film in the freezer to preserve it and have never had a problem like that.

If ever got cold enough to cause film to get brittle, your hands would get frostbite trying to take the picture.

:laughing:

I've left them in my caches for years. Recently developed a camera that has been in the cache for 3 years straight in Wyoming. Winter weather down to -35F and summer heat as high as 108F (I know because that was the temerature when I picked it up). All the pictures came out great. The expiration date was Nov 2004 as well. Picturers showed cachers bundled in parkas and wearing t-shirts and shorts.

Of the 35 or so cameras I have put out only one ever had bad pictures and then only 3 were bad.

One camera sat for 2 years at 10,800 foot elevation and was covered by snow for 9 months a year. Beautiful pictures from that one! I am certain it got as low as -50 there. (Of course 15 foot of snow helped to insulate it)

A friend that used to work at Kodak told me that freezing film actually helps to prolong the "life" of it.

BTW - I mostly use ammo cans so everything stays nice and dry.

It should stay fine as long as someone doesn't try to use it. Film becomes brittle at very cold temps.

I routinely shoot aurora borealis at -20 F during the winter without problem. Key thing is to advance the film slowly to avoid breaking it. Nice thing about the disposable cameras is that one has to move the film advance wheel several times to move the film one frame.

According to Kodak, a disposable camera left in alternatingly cold/hot conditions over a period of more than 5 years might experience difficulties. However, due to the newer technology, the film is not going to be the problem. Film manufactured in the '70s was of a different composition, and had brittleness at cold temperatures. Those used today, even in the disposable cameras, is made of materials that maintain their functionality even at extremes (although if the camera shell is on fire, it probably is too hot to handle the situation) :)

I'm not a chemical engineer, professional photographer, nor do I have any other qualifications to testify on single use camera performance in in front of a senate subcommittee, :) but I have put several cameras in caches (Lock n Lock & Drybox) over several seasons and had no problems. This is in North East Ohio, so there was plenty of cold, snow, rain, heat and humidity. Used the bargain brand Office Max camera and a Wal-mart special. Judge for yourself, the pics are posted on our website under the "Cache Photo Albums" link.

Moisture will be your worst enemy. If you can beat that, temperature shouldn't effect it, unless it's EXTREME cold. For the most part, 20-30 degrees shouldn't have an effect on the camera. My digital camera have been left outside in the cold when it was -10 degrees while hunting, and they still turned on and took pictures.