Leaving Things In A Cache

lrgoodger

I read all the guidelines and all I found is that one must use common sense about what to leave in a cache when exchanging, like don't leave food items so animals won't dig it out.

If leaving an item at a micro cache that won't fit in the film box, is it ok to hide it nearby and leave a note about it in the cache container?

Next question; is there any rule against leaving silver in a cache?

Question 3; is there any rule against leaving silver near the cache and leaving a note about it in the cache?

Question 4; if it is ok to leave silver, is it ok to post in your log of the find that you left it?

It seems to me that the very essence of the definition of the word 'cache' is treasure, so if it's not OK to leave treasure in one, what the @#$% is this site all about?

Edited by lrgoodger
It seems to me that the very essence of the definition of the word 'cache' is treasure, so if it's not OK to leave treasure in one, what the @#$% is this site all about?

Actually, "cache" comes from "cacher", a French verb for "to hide". While it is commonly associated with a hidden collection of items, the word has more to do with hiding stuff than the stuff necessarily being treasure.

However, I welcome you you to hide ("cacher") some silver in any of my caches, or near them if it doesn't fit, and let me know. I will add it to my personal stash of goodies. Just don't bury it. We don't allow burying things here. However, I do have it on some authority that the essence of the defintion of the word 'bury' is treasure; as in "buried treasure", "buried golden nuggets", or "a big bag of buried Liberty Dollars" (I don't like emoticons, but feel free to insert your favorite one here).

You guys aren't playing into the OP's hands.  You're supposed to ask, "what kind of silver?" so he can tell you about this pyramid like sceme where you pay $10 for a coin with $5-$7 of silver in it. ;)  A topic has already been closed because of this guy.

Sorry, let me repost.

And here I thought it was just around caches you were leaving trash.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some silver liberty dollars? The world is going to Helena Handbasket and the only thing that can save us from the oppressors in black helicopters is real silver and gold money. Stock up now, I tellya. I keep looking in caches for them but I don't find any. Oh if only there was a better way to get 'em...

;)

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some silver liberty dollars? The world is going to Helena Handbasket and the only thing that can save us from the oppressors in black helicopters is real silver and gold money. Stock up now, I tellya. I keep looking in caches for them but I don't find any. Oh if only there was a better way to get 'em...

;)

You got it man! Send check or money order to me for $10+s/h and you'll be getting 1 ounce of silver worth $6.95! Win win situation here.

Interesting. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical. It is very much out of the ordinary for anyone to do a thing like give away silver.

Yes, admin at gc.com has been contacted, even before I ever posted anything. So far, they are silent. That means they are seriously considering it and probably checking out to see if I am who I say I am. Now, what are all you skeptics gonna do when they say sure! Leave all the silver you want, and then geochachers start finding and reporting it. There's gonna be a geo-rush! That's what. Geocaching membership with skyrocket and so will sales of GPS units. They are not dummies. They know this. I fully expect them to approve it.

And I did leave coordinates to the silver. Just take a look at my found caches. You will see that the moderators edited and removed the coordinates, so I went back to one and posted that the silver was there in a more geocaching-legal manner. I am going to e-mail some of the local cachers and tell them its there so they can go and find it. What are you guys gonna do when they start posting that its real? Ha ha!

Not only that, many in the Liberty Dollar organization love this idea, so you can expect the silver to start showing up in caches in other locations around the country. It will take most folks a while to look into it to try and understand why it is so important. How many of you can explain why that one ounce of silver I am hiding will still buy the same amount of gas that it did back in 1964 when they took the silver out of our US coinage (it was a silver dollar back then)? It doesn't take a whole lot of brains or thinking about it to see that the silver dollar will still purchase the same value it did back then, but the paper dollar will not. How long do the people have to get robbed by bank money before they wake up?

Interesting.  I don't blame anyone for being skeptical.  It is very much out of the ordinary for anyone to do a thing like give away silver.

Yes, admin at gc.com has been contacted, even before I ever posted anything.  So far, they are silent.  That means they are seriously considering it and probably checking out to see if I am who I say I am.  Now, what are all you skeptics gonna do when they say sure!  Leave all the silver you want, and then geochachers start finding and reporting it.  There's gonna be a geo-rush!  That's what.  Geocaching membership with skyrocket and so will sales of GPS units.  They are not dummies.  They know this.  I fully expect them to approve it.

And I did leave coordinates to the silver.  Just take a look at my found caches.  You will see that the moderators edited and removed the coordinates, so I went back to one and posted that the silver was there in a more geocaching-legal manner.  I am going to e-mail some of the local cachers and tell them its there so they can go and find it.  What are you guys gonna do when they start posting that its real?  Ha ha!

Not only that, many in the Liberty Dollar organization love this idea, so you can expect the silver to start showing up in caches in other locations around the country.  It will take most folks a while to look into it to try and understand why it is so important.  How many of you can explain why that one ounce of silver I am hiding will still buy the same amount of gas that it did back in 1964 when they took the silver out of our US coinage (it was a silver dollar back then)?  It doesn't take a whole lot of brains or thinking about it to see that the silver dollar will still purchase the same value it did back then, but the paper dollar will not.  How long do the people have to get robbed by bank money before they wake up?

FYI slow response doesn't mean they are interested it simply means they haven't responded. Nothing more, nothing less. Nice try though.

Edited by CO Admin

I have not found that many caches. Normally there is nothing of real value left in the cache that I have found, nor do I care. I search for the fun of it, be it a hard micro or a nice hike to a secluded location. Would I bother going after a cache that has a silver dollar in it, more than likely not. I don't understand your passion for wanting to put silver near a cache then post the numbers and a link, why not hide your own cache and put the silver in it as a FTF reward. Is this a for-profit scam that you dreamt up? I don't understand why you are trying to make things more difficult than they need to be. All that I see is trouble for trying to maintain your system. If I find the silver who would be responsible for updating the information - the next 10 people come by and waste their time looking for something that is not there because someone did not update the information. As far as I am concerned hide your own cache and put your own silver in it, don't shove it down my throat.

lrgoodger, dude, calm down and take a breathe. NOBODY has a problem with you putting silver IN a cache! Just do it. The problem is that you're trying to promote something that is "shady". I admit, I read about what you're tyring to promote and I was excited until I got into the details and costs. IT'S A SCAM when some guy wants you to pay aprox. $15 for $6 worth of silver. Do a simple google newsgroup search on the subject and see the light.

Actually, there are many caches that have nice trade items (swag) in them. The GOWT (Geocachers of West Tennessee) have a mega-multi (14 legs) covering all of West Tennessee. Most of the original containers were stocked with items ranging in price from $2-$5. The last leg was stocked with items ranging from $5-$15. I still haven't made it to the final stage yet, but the hunt will be fun without the swag. The total mileage will be about 500 miles to finish the multi so the swag is there as a prize for those avid geocachers.

I would suggest that the silver be placed in the cache, rather than beside or near. However, if it is too big, it could always be placed in a small container and placed near the cache (with the owner's knowlege and permission). The owner might even have a suggestion as to where to place the container.

As for the commercialization part of this thread, if that is your intention, we prefer not to have that interfere with our

RASHO (RecreationalActivity/Sport/Hobby/OBESESSION)

As always, HAPPY GEOCACHING!!! :)

Edited by pcsenn
Yikes, I've heard it all. When's the Ponzi guy gonna show up?

I was curious abou this, so I dialed 1-800-PONZI-GUY:

"We're sorry, but the Ponzi guy's busy administering the U.S. Social Security Program right now... Due to this long-term committment, he has little availability to run other schemes or scams at this time. However, your call is important to us. At the beep, please leave your name, number, and a detaileded description of your proposed scam. If yours is a common pyramid scheme, please hang up and dial 1-800-PYRAMID. Thank you and have a nice day."

:lol:

So far, they are silent.  That means they are seriously considering it and probably checking out to see if I am who I say I am.

Hugh, that means Ponzi Guy's seriously considering returning your call! :lol:

If the swag doesn't fit in the cache, the obvious answer is to save it for a cache that it DOES fit in.

I wonder if "pyramidcaching.com" is available as a URL?

Edited by Team WorldPeaceTurtle