Open Carry In The Woods

gudel

I use my HK USP45 with USP9 as backup, or the Beretta 92FS sometimes as backup.

Just curious--why the need for a backup?

And, I don't carry, but am giving it serious thought, only because I often go out by myself and there is wildlife around. With no one with me to outrun, I might need it someday :)

I use my HK USP45 with USP9 as backup, or the Beretta 92FS sometimes as backup.

Just curious--why the need for a backup?

And, I don't carry, but am giving it serious thought, only because I often go out by myself and there is wildlife around. With no one with me to outrun, I might need it someday :)

Given that the referenced post was made four YEARS ago, I doubt that you are going to get the response that you are asking for.

Never felt the need to protect myself from criminals. I thought of bringing my 12gage when I did a hike in bear country. In the end I decided it would be too heavy to pack up the mountain. We just made sure to do a lot of talking so that any animals near by would mosey on before we walked into them. Kind of a bear bell type approch

I'm kind of thankful I cache in the UK. Have to say I've never been in a situation where I've thought "I wish I had a gun."

Different world :)

You live in a country that has a reccomendation from the medical community to blunt the ends of kitchen knives. I'm sure they exempted medical knives er...scapels from the reccomendation.

Yes, it is a different world. You are no safer in it, but it is different.

I'm kind of thankful I cache in the UK. Have to say I've never been in a situation where I've thought "I wish I had a gun."

Different world :D

Different? Really?

Here's what your news says about how different y'all are...

From the London Evening Standard - http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...te-in-europe.do

UK 'has worst violent crime rate in Europe'

Britain has a higher violent crime rate than the US and any country in Europe, according to the Conservative Party.

Different indeed! When criminals can't get guns, knives will do just fine :)

6682119999a787130318_30173t.jpg

In the absence of guns OR knives, he with the biggest tree branch rules!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Looking at some pics in interesting caches, I notice that most people geocaching in the woods, deep in the woods. Some people found a certain "special" plant cultivation area, usually the greenthumbs are thugs too.

Who here carry guns while geocaching in the woods? Animals is the least I'm afraid of, drug dealers or other two legged critters are the most I'm worried. I use my HK USP45 with USP9 as backup, or the Beretta 92FS sometimes as backup.

Don't use a Backup but at night I'm never without Mr. Glock when caching.

ScubaSonic

I don't own a gun.

I'm not anti-gun, I'm just quite certain I'd shoot my eye out.

Turn the gun around. :D

:):D:D:sad:

Thanks, that post made my day!

Yeah, for all the dumb jokes I made yesterday, that was the one for which I was most proud. ;)

Luckily I am a better shot with bullets than jokes... :)

On Topic: Never do I carry open, though it is legal in West Virginia. It invites too many people to react. Concealed is different as no one sees it or knows who is or isn't carrying.

I cache with 3 labs. We have crossed paths with a few bear, a couple of coyotes and timber wolve and I STILL think it was a cougar. I do carry my 12 ga. shot gun during grouse season. I only took it once while looking for a new cache in case we kicked up a bird or two. A fellow cacher did see yje open case on my trucj seat and did not go looking for the cache.(the cache was located on DNR property and open to hunting)They did not want to screw up the hunt for hunter, even thou they didn't know it was me.

Bluntly I would not carry openly except under rare circumstances. In my opinion it often defeats the purpose. If you are legal to do so carry concealed if you have practiced drawing from concealment if you have not then get to practicing. I carry everywhere legal to do so and have for years. For the record I luckily have never had to use my weapon and hope I never do, but if I ever need that particular tool I will not be wishing I didn't have it. Anyone that cannot handle that I am fine with. It doesn't make me mad or disappoint me we all have to make our own decisions and I will simply leave the home or the business and not return. That is the choice I have made for my family and myself and I have never regretted it nor questioned it. It is not always easy but if you truly feel that way and have researched the issue and taken the time to be proficient carrying safely around anyone at any time is an option. Many do not feel as I do and carrying concealed makes them comfortable because the aren't aware of a weapon and allows me to keep myself and my family safe. This in my opinion is the best way to make everyone reasonably happy without conversations like this one that make some uncomfortable.

....i believe if your going to carry a gun anywhere you need to be properly trained to do so ...... once you squeeze the trigger you have to be prepared for the aftermath ( in case you miss n hit an innocent )

i dont believe in open carry minus police n millitary ( job oriented )

only concieled , it shouldnt be shown off, and should be your last resort ....

i carry , legally , the reasoning for me is ive been robed with a gun to my head , my 100 lb 4legger had a run in with a 600 lb 4legger , more reciently my parents had an intruder in there home no shots were fired but my lil bro recieved a broken hand in the scuffle the revealing of the gun stoped the intruder....

i know that the resonings arent issues while caching but if it happened then whos to say it never would while caching

i cache with my wife and our children sometimes others. most of us arent the fastest in the world id like to believe id give my family time to get to safety if it came to it

i hope it never does....

Save the guns for other uses since it will do not much good in the backcountry. Any type of baddies will most likely use stealth instead of full on charge, and if a rogue animal attacks, you'll have a split second to plan your death. It is proven that bear spray works more effectively then any armed weapon. As for the bad guys, it's much better to run, then to stick around

Just a quick question thats been nagging at me, I hope its not too far off topic: (if anyone knows)

If you Tasered a bear, how effective would it be?

That visual alone was worth the bump.

If you tasered a bear it would get all mad and then eat your brains, remember DONT SCREW WITH BEARS!

i mean is it that hard to understand

Different world :unsure:

Don't live in the UK, but I am thankful that I moved to Australia and have never needed nor felt the need to carry a gun.

I have loads of friends that live in and near London and they don't feel the need to carry or even possess a gun either.

Nice world :P

If I lived in Alaska, Canada, or Zimbabwe, I'd carry. Here? Nope. And yes, I'm a gun owner.

I wouldn't if I were you, at least not in Canada, eh. You'll get thrown in the royal(e) jail(e).

I DO live in Alaska, and on occasion I do cache and carry. :)

My family and I were out for a walk in my NEIGHBORHOOD in October when we were confronted by an angry juvenile bull moose that backed us into a corner. We tried our hardest to get out of harm's way, and much to my relief, the unsuspecting neighbor who's doorbell we were ringing incessantly opened the door and let us in.

A full grown bull moose is bigger than most horses. This juvenile was as big as the small horses I've ridden in the past, and he was NOT happy. It had nothing to do with us, I'm proud to say. I think he had recently been separated from his mother and was chasing people around the neighborhood. He got to us because he chased two little girls down the road on their bikes.

Anyway, he was 8 feet from me, had his ears back and looked like he wanted to dance on my head. I was between the moose and my family with my jacket unzipped, one hand on my gun (Alaska is now a concealed carry state-no permit required). I already did my best to get the moose to leave us alone, waving my arms, yelling, threw my hat at it.... The neighbors let us in. Thank God the neighbors let us in.

I have no agenda. It's just a (true) story I wanted to add to the thread.

You bet I carry. A Gps, a Cell Phone, swag, water, compass, geocaching sheets, and sometimes, when they get tired, a kid.

See? I carry a lot.

If I lived in Alaska, Canada, or Zimbabwe, I'd carry. Here? Nope. And yes, I'm a gun owner.

I wouldn't if I were you, at least not in Canada, eh. You'll get thrown in the royal(e) jail(e).

I DO live in Alaska, and on occasion I do cache and carry. :)

My family and I were out for a walk in my NEIGHBORHOOD in October when we were confronted by an angry juvenile bull moose that backed us into a corner. We tried our hardest to get out of harm's way, and much to my relief, the unsuspecting neighbor who's doorbell we were ringing incessantly opened the door and let us in.

A full grown bull moose is bigger than most horses. This juvenile was as big as the small horses I've ridden in the past, and he was NOT happy. It had nothing to do with us, I'm proud to say. I think he had recently been separated from his mother and was chasing people around the neighborhood. He got to us because he chased two little girls down the road on their bikes.

Anyway, he was 8 feet from me, had his ears back and looked like he wanted to dance on my head. I was between the moose and my family with my jacket unzipped, one hand on my gun (Alaska is now a concealed carry state-no permit required). I already did my best to get the moose to leave us alone, waving my arms, yelling, threw my hat at it.... The neighbors let us in. Thank God the neighbors let us in.

I have no agenda. It's just a (true) story I wanted to add to the thread.

Any type of baddies will most likely use stealth instead of full on charge,

And there will no doubt be more of them than there are of you, so whilst you might get one or two of them, they are definitely going to get you.

Well as long as there are less then 14 I'm good with one clip, and have had the training so they are not getting me.

Scubasonic

Question, in America can you go in a store and just buy a gun without having to go through courses? Here in Canada you have to go through safety courses and what not. and if you want to get a concealed weapon (like a hand gun) well then that would take a long time to get.

Question, in America can you go in a store and just buy a gun without having to go through courses? Here in Canada you have to go through safety courses and what not. and if you want to get a concealed weapon (like a hand gun) well then that would take a long time to get.

I have a CWP in Washington State, and on Oregon, Washington had no traning, if you had a clean record you got the permit. But in Oregon there was training before they would issue the permit, as well as wanting to know why you wanted it.

Scubasonic

As long as you do not have a criminal record you can walk into the store and buy a handgun but there is a 5 day waiting period if you do not have a concealed permit. If you do have a CWP then you get the gun as soon as you pay the money.

Scubasonic