60cs Locks To Roads

Panda Fan

Am I the only one that has problems with my 60cs?

Any time I Find a cache by following a road, and them when I park and then find by "Off Road" it locks me onto the nearest road. The only thing I can do to fix this is by turning the power off, then back on. Is there a better way? :D

I keep hoping that Garmin will fix this bug with a firmware update. :D

Turn off the "Lock On Road" function...?

On the Map page, press "Menu", Select "Setup Map", Press "Enter". Scroll over to the first icon in the upper left - an "N" surrounded by arrows - scroll down to the "Lock On Road" setting and set to "Off"

I didn't think I needed to do that because I had switched to off road. It only seems to lock to roads after I have navigated to the cache area by following roads, but once I switch over to off road it still locks me to the road.

If I don't use follow roads then I don't seem to have that problem at all.

To me that seems like a glitch that garmin needs to fix. Or maybe add it as another choice on that menu or off road menu.

Thanks for the help. :D In the end I did make that change. I knew it was there, but I think there should be a better way to resolve this issue.

"Follow Road" is a routing issue, designed to tell the unit to autoroute. "Lock on roads" is an accuracy/sensitivity issue, designed to tell the unit that may be experiencing a 20 foot position error, "No, I'm not driving on the train tracks beside the road, I'm on the road." I guess Garmin could automatically switch the lock off when you change from Follow Road to Offroad.

I think some definitions are mixed up here.

The question "follow road" when doing a "go to" of a waypoint or something tells the unit to create a route using the roads on the map.

The 60CS can be set to always ask this question before calculating a route or can be set to a default setting. If you select off-road then the 60CS will create an "as the crow flies" route.

(a "follow road" route generated to off road points will have a route that goes to the nearest road and from there a straight line to the point)

The "lock on road" setting in the map setup only has a visual effect, it means that when you are on or near a road the 60CS will put your cursor on that road (probably with some calculations on direction to put you on the right road) when you get to an area where there are no roads (middle of a field or so) your cursor will behave like "lock on road" is off, when you get near a road again the cursor will snap back to that road, it works a little like the "snap to grid" function in some drawing programs.

I have this "lock on road" setting to always off because it has no bearing on navigating at all and that way the GPS shows the real GPS position and not where it thinks I am on a road.

"lock on road" also has no bearing on the tracklog, that will still be the real GPS position and not the roadlock position.

I think everybody here knows the definitions of the terms. I think some of us think that others are confusing the terms while they are actually not, and therein lies the confusion.

I think Panda is recalculating the route for off road when getting ready to grab the cache. It would be logical for some to think that by asking for an off road route that the GPSr would know enough that the user does not want to be tied to the roads anymore and would like to have the GPSr display their position out in the field. But because Panda has the Lock On Road feature turned on, it stays on despite the fact that Panda has requested an off road route.

Personally, I think requesting an off road route should be grounds for automatically changing the Lock On Roads setting to be turned off. Still, I think there might be others out there who would think that the setting should remain on. If this setting was to be turned off automatically, you would have to turn it back on manually after the recalculation. If not, that would mean that Lock On Roads would be turned on automatically by requesting to follow roads - and THAT would make ME very angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry :D

So BlueDeuce - you say you don't experience any problems when going off road, even though you have the Lock On Road setting turned on? What firmware version are you running on?

Edited by Neo_Geo

If I understand, you're saying that when Panda selects off-road the map shows her location as being on the road. I assumed she was looking at the arrow since that's the screen that'll pop-up after selecting off-road.

I don't look at the map when off road, so I'll have to check that.

Edit: gender

Edited by BlueDeuce
I think everybody here knows the definitions of the terms. I think some of us think that others are confusing the terms while they are actually not, and therein lies the confusion.

I think Panda is recalculating the route for off road when getting ready to grab the cache. It would be logical for some to think that by asking for an off road route that the GPSr would know enough that the user does not want to be tied to the roads anymore and would like to have the GPSr display their position out in the field. But because Panda has the Lock On Road feature turned on, it stays on despite the fact that Panda has requested an off road route.

Neo Geo - You hit the nail right on the head. ;)

I think with all the bells and whisels this GPS has, that it should be smart enough to know when I am off road not to snap me to a road.

But I guess I will leave Road Lock off. If that will fix the problem.

Thanks everyone for you input.

P.S. To me the funny thing is, that if I turn off and turn on my 60cs it will quit trying to snap to a road until I try and follow roads to the next cache location.

Well sorry for trying to put things clear.

The two have no connection with each other, even if I request off-road route calculation I might still want to be locked on road while driving there.

The Streetpilots have always done it that way (they do not allow you to change the locked on road setting)

Personally I have the locked on road to "always off" like I said before it only matters to the display of the cursor on the screen.

PS. Panda fan, lock on road (snap to a road) does not activate for a short while when the 60CS is getting a GPS fix (it seems to me that it needs a certain accuracy and movement before it'll snap you to a route)

I noticed something strange with the 60c and 4.0 firmware. If I have the unit set for lock on roads when autorouting, and recalculate to off road mode, the tracks will stay locked on road. I have to have lock on roads disabled for the tracks to track properly while hiking to the cache. I do not remember having this problem with 3.8 firmware. :laughing: ImpalaBob

I read the thread, and saw that you have sorted most of the questions out already. But not all of it.

My old eTrex Vista can lock on road, in spite of not being able to create a route which follows the roads only (autoroute).

In all aspects, the GPS will act like it has actually measured your position to be on the road, when it has locked on to a road. You can see that it has happened, since the accuracy circle disappears when a lock on a road has occured. This implies that you show the circle, of course, on units where it can be turned off.

This means that it will continue to show the distance to the cache, measured from the road, as long as the lock persists, even if you are going off the road, into the woods.

Lock on a road will release if you move parallel to the road, provided that you are a significant distance away from the road. If you move perpendicular to the road, it will release a lot sooner, since it seems unlikely that you are still on the road, with that direction.

To lock on to the road in the first place, after power on, you have to exceed a speed of 10 knots, to make it likely to the unit that you are in some kind of vehicle, which in turn makes it likely that you are indeed trying to follow the roads.

As long as you stay at walking speed, it will not lock on, but it will remain locked, once you have exceeded the locking speed limit, even if you later move at a slower pace.

Once you make it unlock, for example by walking in a direction that's perpendicular to the road, you have to exceed the magic speed again, to renew the lock.

It's my definite opinion that these settings should indeed be separate. If you make some kind of connection between the route creation and the map display, you create a whole set of new problems. The proper thing is to learn how it works.