Hunting Season

Frodo_Underhill

In answer to a question Toucan Thompsen had on the NJ thread - I thought it would be helpful to start a discussion on the hunting seasons in the region. I am going to chat a little bit about NJ. However since this is a regional concern others who are experts in their areas may want to speak up and add information for their states and localities. SOmeone else may want to add some NJ info as I am no hunter - I just try to stay out of their way!

TT:

In NJ seasons vary by what zone you are in, day of the week, time of day, etc. If you thought the North / South division was a trip you should check out what NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife has done to the state.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/

They usually have a good guide of the regulations and seasons that can be downloaded as a pdf from the site for offline review. NJ Fish & Wildlife Digest - 2005 Hunting Issue

There unfortunately is no easy answer - you need to read up a bit before you go out in season. Some general guidelines to keep you out of trouble.

1. When in doubt wear orange and lots of it.

2. Not the best idea to cache in WMA's and State Forests during hunting season - except on Sunday which is usally closed to hunting - but this could vary - so read the regulations.

3. If there are deer stands in the area - probably not a good idea to cache during season.

4. If you see lots of empty pick up trucks and 4x4's along the side of the road - a good sign there are hunters nearby - not the best time to cache.

5. Don't go out during rifle season - its short and crazy - people and animals get hurt then.

6. Put your buckskin jacket, white hat, etc. away for the season unless you want to be a trophy.

7. If you hear gun fire in the area - don't cache there that day.

Its all common sense. The hunters were here first and have a limited season so a little courtesy and effort to stay out of their way goes far. Of course I have heard one humerous comment from hunters - they like us since we make a lot of noise and flush out the deer. The only problem I ever had was doing cache maintenance on a Sunday and being approached by a hunter who indicated that this was his area and asked if I was planning to hunt there. I gave him a lame excuse I was looking for a benchmark and we had a good conversation once he realized I was not poaching his territory (not that you can reserve a territory - but they have the guns and I don't). Also an area may be closed to hunting - but that does not mean the hunters have stopped - they may be unaware of the regs or they may be ignoring the regs etc.

You probably don't want to get confrontational with the hunters as they have guns and you may not. Best to do urban caches and suburban parks at this time of the year. Though if you are careful and read the regs you can get about the other areas without too much dificulty.

Good luck and don't end up on someone's trophy wall!

And to make this even more complicated, many towns have their own regulations on hunting. I've seen some patches of woods locally, that are no bigger than 20 or 30 acres that allow hunting with a township permit.

I've had several run in's with hunters. (mostly pre geocaching) Only once did the guy I meet really scare me, but I think he was drunker than Jim Morrison on New Years. Most of the time, I felt bad, as I knew my presence completely blew any chance that had bagging anything.

I generally wear something orange whenever I go out ... I figure that will help them find my body.

Hey, there's a new puzzle cache for you Toucan (I think you got a new nickname :D ) Figure out the dates of all the different hunting seasons and divide by the licensing fees to get the final coordinates. :D

Frodo,

Hunting is not permitted in New Jersey on Sundays! Probably some remnant from the Blue Laws.

I've met many hunters whilst hiking. Deer hunters/shotgun seem to be the most unruly. Muzzle-loaders and bow hunters seem more trustworthy. Perhaps because of the added disclipine in their sport?

Where was I? Lehigh Gap, Pa. On the AT. A toxic clean-up site, due to zinc smelting in Palmerton. Warnings about drinking the water, or bringing small children here... Six men harnessing a deer carcase to carry it (what?) five hundred feet down the hill? I wouldn't eat a deer from that location!

Upstate New York... Columbia County. (My parents used to own land there.) Picture a Pinto halfway down a 30º slope on a pipeline. With a deer tied to the roof. Three jeep-type vehicles trying to pull it out. "Excuse me. You aren't allowed to hunt here. This land is posted. A pipeline is not a public right-of-way. This land is privately owned an posted against hunting." In the middle of the night, someone ran our mailbox down.

<Cue music from Deliverance.>

One of the better lines: "You're going to walk back up that hill?" "Yup, hiking back to my car." On the AT near Greenwood Lake, NY.

In general, most hunters are cognizant of hikers. Waved at one in a tree stand on the Highlands Trail, near Dunker Pond. He saw me long before I saw him.

.... Hunting is not permitted in New Jersey on Sundays!  .....

Agreed.

However the point I wanted to make is that it does happen on Sundays regardless of the regulations. ;)

So don't let your guard down. I still wear Orange on Sundays in the season as a precaution.

Hunting is not permitted, but target practice is.

Go figure.

This means there are lots of little pieces of lead flying around on a Sunday, potentially more than you'll ever see on a Saturday.

if I'm not mistaken, some townships prohibit the discharging of firearms on Sunday too.

On another note, I was recently out on a Sunday, a meet up with someone doing target practice with a musket. Black powder and all. Loud as all H-E 2x hockey sticks!

For those of us on the west side of the Delaware, the complete Pennsylvania Hunting Digest in pdf format can be downloaded at this site.

If you desire segments of this information check this site.

The digest is a complete and somewhat complicated document. Of interest to the geocacher is the following info:

A. Dates for all hunting seasons. The dates vary substantially throughout the state.

B. Orange ware requirements, which vary by season.

Waterboy With Wife

Last year I spent the last day of turkey season with my daughter hiding 4 caches in PA's State Game Lands in Columbia County. Probably not a smart move. But we both wore orange caps and made a lot of noise as we walked around saying things in a loud voice like, "Don't shoot. We're not turkeys. Don't shoot. We're not turkeys.""

Well, maybe they were busy laughing their heads off as we passed by, but we didn't see any hunters or hear any shots. We did see a few turkeys though including one that was hopping around on one foot. Must of tripped over a cache container.

Ok, So honestly..How many geocachers got injured buy some hunter when they were out in the woods in NJ??? B/c with all this talking about watch out for this and cachers should do that. I'm starting to think people are getting shot at 24/7 by some crazy hunters.. What's the real deal???

No geocacher has been shot yet, but nobody wants to be the first one.

...ut we both wore orange caps and made a lot of noise as we walked around saying things in a loud voice like, "Don't shoot. We're not turkeys. Don't shoot. We're not turkeys.""

Why would you lie like that? :)

Edited by briansnat
Make sure Avroair knows not to go geocaching in his Plushie deer outfit.

661288b3-85fa-4f86-bbd4-79ad7c55aa19.jpg

All is lost! :laughing:

First he was talking about it around the campfire at GONE, he mentioned it to me the other day on the phone, and now this. I hear that costume will be featured on his new personal coin.

I heard he was going to host a "Plushie Deer Event" where everyone has to wear a deer suit to be able to log the event. The event will be at the Lotsa Hunters Wildlife Management Area and is sheduled for the first day of hunting season. <_<

Edited by Tiffany's Slaves