Gps Orientation?

Cadeuses

Well as you may have already guessed, you have a newbie here that is just starting out.

I am using a Lowrance IFinder GPSr and have a question as to which orientation is best to hold it for optimum satellite reception? :D

I don't know what kind of antenna it has, which of course is half of the problem. :D

Since you didn't specify which model you've got, I found a quick site: Lawrance Ifinder

...for one of the models that gives basic specs on a model similar to yours. The unit I use indicated which way to hold it for best reception in the owner's manual. You might want to check there too. Hope this helps and welcome to the addiction...I meant hobby. :D

(Edited to give better site response)

Edited by Jester2112

Thanks for the replys. The owners manuel doesn't describe the type of antenna, whether it is a patch or helix-something type. That's why I don't know which orientation is best suited for this GPSr. I am hoping some experts on the lowrance equipment will come forth with the info.

The model was described... IFinder. Not H2O, not Hunt, not Atlantis etc. Just IFinder... I believe it was intoduced after the GO and GO2 models.

Cheers.

All iFinders have a "patch" antenna, therefore it should technically be held relatively flat. I believe internally it's mounted at a 10 or 15 degree angle, so it should be tilted slightly up towards you for an absolutely horizontal orientation. You can see the antenna (the square thingy on top) when you remove the unit's interchangable cover and see what I mean.

However, it's been my experience that the affect of the unit's angle is minimal. I'm more concerned about tree cover and WAAS access when I'm using mine.

reid.

My iFinder Pro doesn't seem too concerned which angle it is being held at.. I've done the experiment, watch the satellite strength screen while holding @ various angles, and doens't seem to have significant difference.

Patch antenna equipped GPSr's are supposed to work best held flat though, but I often carry mine in a coat pocket (held vertical) while snowmobiling, motorcycling, etc.. and get perfect tracklogs after my ride. Your mileage may vary :D

Ok... now that I got through that... I've decided to change over to a different brand... and do some comparison GPS-ing. I've purchased a GPSMAP 60C. It hasn't arrived yet... should be in by the weekend. :blink:

I'm looking forward to the built-in geocaching abilities. This one has the quad-helix antenna... so I presume that means I hold it Vertically? :laughing:

Cheers. Cadeuses

Ok... now that I got through that... I've decided to change over to a different brand... and do some comparison GPS-ing. I've purchased a GPSMAP 60C. It hasn't arrived yet... should be in by the weekend. :blink:

I'm looking forward to the built-in geocaching abilities. This one has the quad-helix antenna... so I presume that means I hold it Vertically? :laughing:

Cheers. Cadeuses

Yes the 60CS likes to be held vertically. There will be some interesteing differences between the 60CS and the iFinder. You won't see the great reception you had with the iFinder, but you will see a lot of other great features, especially if you get the City Select mapping software.

Ok... now that I got through that... I've decided to change over to a different brand... and do some comparison GPS-ing.  I've purchased a GPSMAP 60C.  It hasn't arrived yet... should be in by the weekend.  :laughing:

I'm looking forward to the built-in geocaching abilities.  This one has the quad-helix antenna... so I presume that means I hold it Vertically?  :blink:

Cheers.  Cadeuses

Yes the 60CS likes to be held vertically. There will be some interesteing differences between the 60CS and the iFinder. You won't see the great reception you had with the iFinder, but you will see a lot of other great features, especially if you get the City Select mapping software.

I didn't know that it liked to be held vertically, thanks for the tip Brian. :blink:

You won't see the great reception you had with the iFinder

Man,

That is just the opposite of what I expected to see.

I first tried a Garmin Legend, worked great - accuracy usually less than 30' even in the woods.

Wanted a bigger screen, so returned the Garmin and got an Ifinder Pro. Accuracy was usually listed by the unit as 400-600 feet, even with a clear sky-view. Took it back less than 24 hours after purchase.

Went back to Garmin Legend, just decided to get used to the smaller screen, and have been happy with it.

Tim

Wanted a bigger screen, so returned the Garmin and got an Ifinder Pro. Accuracy was usually listed by the unit as 400-600 feet, even with a clear sky-view. Took it back less than 24 hours after purchase.

Don't let that fool you. I was using an iFinder H20 and the "accuracy" was rarely under 100 feet and often closer to 200 feet when under trees while the Garmin and Magellin units I had along were consistently 20-40 ft. But the H20 consistently had a lock on more satellites than either the Garmin or Magellan units and put me right on the cache each time. Often while the Garmin and/or Magellan still had me 50 or more feet away.

That number is only the unit's own estimate of how accurate it is and doesn't reflect the actual accuracy. Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance all use different methods of calculating this and it seems that Lowrance's is much more conservative.

:) Anyone remember the plan old yeller etrex?

I know the accuracy is subject to many things, but as a relative noob ( 24 finds ) I followed my 9 yr. old w/ the etrx in the dark, thru fairly dense woods. When she said it's right here according to the gpsr....we were 6 ft. from it.

I have follewed to w/ in 10 ft. of several caches.

Is that an oddity?

Matt :laughing:

I have a GPS Map60C now, and really love it.....but I dont see a difference in accuracy at all from this one to my old yellow....but when I went from ole yeller to the blue legend I found that my yellow was better for accuracy.....walking with a buddy at same time for same cache,.....the yellow would always bring us closer to cache than the legend would...

Don't let that fool you. I was using an iFinder H20 and the "accuracy" was rarely under 100 feet and often closer to 200 feet when under trees while the Garmin and Magellin units I had along were consistently 20-40 ft. But the H20 consistently had a lock on more satellites than either the Garmin or Magellan units and put me right on the cache each time. Often while the Garmin and/or Magellan still had me 50 or more feet away.

That number is only the unit's own estimate of how accurate it is and doesn't reflect the actual accuracy. Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance all use different methods of calculating this and it seems that Lowrance's is much more conservative.

Well, I tried several Magellan units a few years ago, and was less than impressed with their overall performance.

Then, when I tried the Ifinder, it appeared to be using Magellan software - at least that was my impression from the layout of the nav. screen and others.

That was enough to steer me away from Lowrance.

Tim