Gps's With Altimeter

JohnnyMarshal

My wife is going to buy me a GPS for my birthday. This will be our first gps unit. We live in the mountains surrounding Phoenix, AZ...so there is LOTS of hiking to do out here. With the different elevations, we really want one with an altimeter. This seems to elminate every entry level device I can find. As a result, Im to the point where if Im spending $300, I may as well spend $400 for the Garmin 60CS. But then you add the software, accessories, etc. it's now $500. Im fine with spending that much, but I just want o make sure Im not missing another option...

Can someone list the GPS units with Altimeters? Also, does Garmin plan on coming out with a unit that has expandable memory? I assume 56mb is enough for hiking Arizona? I have no real desire for automobile navigation...so I am not worried about City maps...just Topo or whatever it is called.

The Vista C should have an altimiter.

The 76CS will also have one.

For topo you shoudl be able to fit the entire state and a good chunk of lands adjoining arizon with topo.

If you do'nt mind Black and White the plain old Vista will have an altimiter but 24mb of ram. You will likely get most of AZ Topo in the GPS but may have to leave behind a couple of remote areas.

I don't know that Garmin has any plans for an expandable handheld GPS. They have done so in their Auto based GPSs, so you never know.

The eTrex Summit has an altimiter, but no mapping ability. It's probably been discontinued but you may find it out there.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I agree with Knight on the Vista or the Vista C. I have a b/w Vista and a 60CS. We use both of them to benefit from patch and quad helix antennas. But the Vista is just as useful as the 60CS. Additionally, there are lots of add-on doodads for the Vista for things like hang gliding and such. It's a very tough unit and now there are color units out there, it's a steal for the feature set. The color screen is nice, and USB is great, but for a good unit with an altimeter for a good price you can't beat the Vista. If you want color, the Vista C is great. It has geocaching features, USB, and it's a lot smaller than the 60CS and packs away in a lot less space.

- T of TandS

Arizona, excluding the area around Las Vegas, the strip of maps along the NM border, and the area south of Tucson, is 23.8MB, just right for a Vista C. :D

Edit: The main drawback to the Vista C (if it is one) is that there is no serial connection. If you want to download routes and tracks to (non-Garmin) computer software that is "GPS compatible," look for USB connectivity. Most software uses a NMEA standard that is serial-based.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I have a 60CS which is a great unit, but I would buy a 60C for less money that would give you just about everything you want. The electronic compass on the 60CS doesn't seem to be accurate enough for using to geocache and I haven't found a use for the barometer. the 64 meg of ram is plent for what you want to do. I have also talked to a fellow cacher who sold her Vista C because it wouldn't lock as well as her Magellan SporTrak Pro.

I am going to expand a bit on Starbrand's post because I am new to GPS (and geocaching) and this is something that really confused me when I set about purchasing my GPSr.

Point 1: All GPS receivers are capable of calculating altitude through the GPS satellites.

Point 2: Some GPSrs, such as the Garmin 60CS and the Magellan 600, can also determine altitude through barometric pressure.

When a unit is advertised as having an altimeter, it means a *barometric* altimeter. As Starbrand noted, one reason for having the barometric altimeter is increased accuracy. However, you must enter the current barometric pressure or a known altitude to calibrate the unit. This is similar to altimeters on aircraft, and this feature typically appeals to those using the GPSr in hang gliders or ultralight aircraft. Broadcasts from an airport tower are an ideal way to get the current barometric pressure--I'm not sure where you would get it on some remote mountain trail.

A couple closing points--

Garmin does not use data cards and memory cannot be expanded. This makes units with cards offering "unlimited" storage sound like a great idea *until* you find out those cards usually have to be removed from the unit and inserted into a card reader in order to interface with a computer. This usually involves removing and reinstalling the batteries of your GPSr. What a pain! There is no way I would buy a unit that uses cards unless there was an external connection to plug the unit directly into the computer. If you are not sure what I mean, ask any salesman to demonstrate the process of hooking up a GPSr to a computer.

The memory for waypoints and tracks is reserved and is not included in map memory. You can max out your tracks and waypoints without affecting the advertised memory capacity of a GPS unit.

FWIW - once you discover that for a few hundred bucks you've equipped your car with a state of the art navigation system, you may change your mind about the autorouting.

I used a Vista for 3 years, and it's a great GPS. Just the right size for hiking, and it is very easy to operate with one hand, even with gloves on. Plenty of memory for maps of the local area.

I now have a 60CS, and while it's a little bigger and a little heavier, on the road it is nothing short of a dashboard-mounted miracle. I used it on a 1600 mile trip in unfamiliar territory, and it routed us every mile of the way. And this was in a rental car - try pulling a built-in nav system out of a car to use in a rental :( .

Media601 makes some good points. Especially that you need to calibrate the altimeter to a known elevation.

I have been testing my eXplorist 500 with the Topo mapping software in it. It has a very good receiver and the elevation readings have been very accurate. At some waypoints, including benchmarks, I have compared the GPS reading, then go to the map page for the topo reading, then go home and put the waypoint in Natl Geo Topo. In most cases, they have all been within a 10 to 20 feet range, never over 50 feet. I can't see how an barametric altimeter can be more accurate than this.

My wife is going to buy me a GPS for my birthday. This will be our first gps unit. We live in the mountains surrounding Phoenix, AZ...so there is LOTS of hiking to do out here. With the different elevations, we really want one with an altimeter. This seems to elminate every entry level device I can find. As a result, Im to the point where if Im spending $300, I may as well spend $400 for the Garmin 60CS. But then you add the software, accessories, etc. it's now $500. Im fine with spending that much, but I just want o make sure Im not missing another option...

Can someone list the GPS units with Altimeters? Also, does Garmin plan on coming out with a unit that has expandable memory? I assume 56mb is enough for hiking Arizona? I have no real desire for automobile navigation...so I am not worried about City maps...just Topo or whatever it is called.

Want every single option in a nice sized GPS that will do anything that any other GPS by Garmin can do plus more.

Garmin GPSmap 60CS.

Undisputed champion, except by people who aren't fans of the pricetag.

I have a casio wristwatch that I wear that has a barometric altimeter and shows rate of ascent/ descent. As with the other notes above this device requires calibration. I can manually set my starting elevation and off I go. I have seen these watches online for under $100.00, but you might have to place a bid on that big auction site. It might be a compromise, but I might save a nickel.

My Explorist 500 has a great altimiter. It is on the mains screen and it shows exact elevation at every moment. As you move the elevation changes. I am getting to appreciate the E500 nore and more every day.

CAStarman

While the Exposrist 500 has a altitude reading, it does not have a barometric altimeter.

I do not see a real big acvantage to a barometric altimeter, I have used my Explorist 500, Meridain Gold, Sport track Color and Sport track map (none of which have a barometer) along with my Suunto watch that has a Barometer and such a very accurate altimeter. The altitide reading for whatever GPS I have had with me at the time and my Suunto watch have always been withing a few feet of each other.

I got the Garmin GPSMAP 76CS. If I had purchased it locally, including CA tax, it would have been $632.00. I got it new, in the box, from eBay and it was delivered to my door for $397.00. Then I purchased CitySelect for appx. $100.00. I added an external antenna (which I rarely end up needing or using) and a RAM suction mount. If you are careful who you buy from you can get some VERY good deals on eBay.

[Edit]

I highly recommend getting the invisibleSHIELD for whatver unit you buy. It's $10.00 with lifetime replacement. That $10.00 investment totally saved the screen on my GPSr from a scratch that would have ruined the thing. This is NOT like the cheesy screen protectors you get from Radio Shack or somewhere in a pack of 10. This thing is awesome.

Edited by thrak

ALL Garmin GPS will report altitude. But NO GPS has a built in altimeter, i.e that relays up on barameteric pressure, that I know of. All altimteres must be calibrated from a know altitude to function, my Sounto watch include. So you can buy a Garmin Yellow and have as good an altimeter as a 60CS, LOL.

cheers

ALL Garmin GPS will report altitude. But NO GPS has a built in altimeter, i.e that relays up on barameteric pressure, that I know of. All altimteres must be calibrated from a know altitude to function, my Sounto watch include. So you can buy a Garmin Yellow and have as good an altimeter as a 60CS, LOL.

cheers

You might want to read this from Garmins web site

The GPSMAP 60CS also offers an electronic compass and barometric altimeter for highland adventures. These sensors, when combined with GPS technology, provide enhanced bearing and elevation readings.

cheers

Garmin GPSs with built-in altimeters have an auto-calibrate mode, which works quite well. When I've compared mine (eTrex Vista) to known elevations, it's always within 10', which is good enough for anything I need. A consumer GPS calculating elevation just by satellite has an error of around 40' to 100'.

A consumer GPS calculating elevation just by satellite has an error of around 40' to 100'.

This is not what I have seen with my Magellan Meridian Gold and Explorist 500. When used with my Suunto Vector which has a barometric altimeter both my GPSr have been within 10 feet of my Vector.

Magellan's own specs say the MG's vertical error is over 30 feet, and I'd bet that's in a best-case scenario. The well known rule-of-thumb, that vertical error is about 3× that of horizontal error, is usually about right. Magellan's own specs gives the vertical accuracy at slightly more than 3× the WAAS-enabled horizontal accuracy (3m vs. 10m).

And the range of error is just that, a range. Just because a reading might be within 10' doesn't necessarily mean there's a higher degree of accuracy. If the range of error is 30', that's bound to happen 33% of the time.