You Know You're A Geocacher If....

Here's a few to get you started. I'll pick the best responses, and compile a master list

:lol:

You know you're a geocacher if....

you give your home lat/long (from memory) to anyone who asks you where you live

you can program a waypoint on your GPS blindfolded

you ALWAYS have spare batteries in your car

you have driven your minivan down an unimproved two-track to find a cache

you spend 80% of your vacation planning researching nearby caches.

you use the free web-access at libraries when far from home to find nearby caches

you have more than 100 nearby caches pre-loaded in your GPS

you always have cache page print-outs from geocaching.com with you

you have ever skipped a meal during a caching binge

you traveled more than 50 miles one-way for the express purpose of getting an FTF

I don't know if anyone has already started this list... If so, please point me to the link.

Here's a few to get you started.  I'll pick the best responses, and compile a master list

:lol:

You know you're a geocacher if....

Ok.

you give your home lat/long (from memory) to anyone who asks you where you live.

Can do but don't.

you can program a waypoint on your GPS blindfolded

Not quite... I'm all thumbs.

you ALWAYS have spare batteries in your car

Guilty

you have driven your minivan down an unimproved two-track to find a cache

Guilty.... but I later traded the mini-van in for a decent 4x4 pickup! So what if the family won't fit in it!

you spend 80% of your vacation planning researching nearby caches.

But of course... what else would I do?

you use the free web-access at libraries when far from home to find nearby caches

Been there... done that! But don't really need to. I now carry a db of every cache in the state in my laptop and PDA

Bh... only 100? My GPS holds 1000 and there are 7000 in my PDA :lol:

you always have cache page print-outs from geocaching.com with you

Nope.... paperless!

you have ever skipped a meal during a caching binge

Who needs food when there are caches to find?!?

you traveled more than 50 miles one-way for the express purpose of getting an FTF

Shoot... I've gone that for for a regular cache... not just an FTF!

I think my farthest FTF is around 150 miles.

I don't know if anyone has already started this list... If so, please point me to the link.

At least a dozen times.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

ok, ok... I'm new to this. Realized this topic has already occurred 4 times. I checked them all out, and here are (IMHO) the best of the best ...

you have caught yourself looking for clever hiding places in your own yard

you're driving your 4 year old to preschool and he says "There's the coordinates" when he sees numbers on a telephone pole

you say "Someone should put a cache there" at every park you pass

you have to sort through the batteries in your pocket(s) to find change for the phone.

you were late to your brothers wedding because someone hid a new cache in the area.

you have a revolving credit card for the dollar store.

your prize bloodhound is trained to sniff out caches

you have a ziplock FULL of "possibly useful" batteries that you just CAN'T bear to throw out!

your dashboard cellphone holder has never held a cellphone

you goto the local building supply store to just check out possible cache containers.

you have more GPS units then you have tv/vcr/stereo/DVD remotes.

most if not all of the waypoints in your GPS start with "GC"

you never leave home with out at least one GPS.

you do a funny little dance near a hidden ammo box.

You know most of the backroads, parks, open spaces, public grounds, rock formations, dollar stores, goodwill stores, thrift stores, and fuel stops within a 100 mile radius of your house.

No matter how hard you try, you just can't pass an old dead tree without looking in it or saying "That would make a good spot".

your Medical Alert Bracelet says "In Case of Emergency, GoTo N37:34.911 W85:33.911"

you buy a backpack child carrier for the sole purpose of bringing your baby on cache hunts.

you look at modern art in front of gov buildings and wonder how you can hide a microcache in it!

you stockpile altoids tins for microcaches!

you don’t know how to read a map, but you’ve found over a thousand caches.

you now know just how many dirt roads there are in your area.

the homepage on your browser is set to www.geocaching.com.

you spend at least an hour every day revising your geocache web page(s).

you can read the "additional hints" quite naturally without clicking on the "Decrypt" link.

you think that the "additional hints" are for whimps.

you always make sure that you have trading trinkets and your GPS with you when you leave the house.

all of the "junk" in your junk drawer has been replaced with new items.

you think that coordinates are more efficient than directions.

you can translate between WGS84, UTM and NAD27 in your head.

you are writing a screenplay entitled, “Geocaching: The Movie”.

you think that geo-raiding should be a capital offence.

somebody asks you if you have any "cash", and you immediately give them the coordinates of all of your hidden "caches".

you start each day off by eagerly checking your cache for new visitors.

your idea of “close by” is anything within a hundred mile radius.

you spend $100,000 on a car just because it comes with a GPS.

your brand new $100,000 car is covered with dirt and full of stickers and cheat-grass because you realized that there was a cache “close by” the dealership.

you legally change your name to your geocaching username.

you’ve ever traded items directly between two caches because you didn’t have any “trading trinkets” with you.

you always leave the house at least an hour early so you can catch a cache along the way.

you can honestly say that you’ve intentionally been to more than one virtual cache and/or micro cache.

at Christmas, your idea of “high quality” items includes pocketknives, sunglasses, geo-patches, etc...

you are saving all of your 35mm film canisters for your multi-cache.

you have hidden caches in more than ten states.

you know the exact coordinates of every cache in your home state.

you met your spouse at a cache.

your honeymoon consisted of 7 days, 3 hotels and over 200 caches.

the engagement ring that you gave your fiance' came from a cache.

you put your marriage proposal in a cache and gave your significant other the coordinates.

all of your family vacations are based on where the most caches are hidden.

the three websites you visit when you are planning a trip are www.expedia.com, www.geocaching.com, www.mapquest.com...in that order.

you no longer have that uneasy feeling about searching around on property that you aren't sure isn't private.

you always bring your light meter so you can act like you're just "looking around for the best light to take a picture" in case there are non-geocachers in the area.

you've ever caused yourself to hyperventilate by taking the "hard way" to a cache.

even after losing 10 pounds, you argue that geocaching simply CAN'T be exercise, because it's too much fun!

you no longer notice the stares that you get while climbing a tree in a park or digging around in the dirt while wearing your best Sunday suit.

you see the world as just one big multi-cache.

everywhere you look, you think to yourself, "That would be a GREAT place to hide a cache!"

you have endless debates about whether geocaching is a sport, a game or a hobby.

you have boots, backpack, water bottles and a hiking stick in your trunk, ready at all times just in case

your six year old told Santa that he wants an E-Trex Legend for Christmas.

you are thinking of moving to have a more dense cache environment

the Easter Egg Hunt at your house involves your kids putting on coats over thier PJs, hiking boots and a GPS unit.

you leave a nice warm house in the pooring rain at 2AM to try for a first to find.

your child's first word are "Found IT"

you drool when passing the GPS section at the sporting goods store.

your 2 year old grandson thinks a hike in the woods always ends with finding a box.

1. You look down to take your next step on the trail and it was going to be exactly upon the rattlers head that was stretched out across the trail. Adrenaline can make a righty jump with his left foot ten feet away in the opposite direction.

2. You have lost count of the rattlesnakes you have encountered.

3. You'll clean house when the mountains are gone.

4. You sit and watch the school of fish's behavorisms instead of catching them.

5. www.thebeastinthegarden.com

6. www.deadmentellnotales.com

7. Your wearing out your fifth pair of Merrells.

8. You have two Camelbaks and the zippers are worn out on both. Camelbak does send you free lid seals if yours wear out by the way.

9. You take your camelbaks to the automotive upholstery shop for sewing repairs.

10. You know how to get there five other ways rather than payoing to get in.

... You wish when looking in the phone book or at an online map they had the gps co-ordinates instead of the address for where you need to go...

.... You wonder why the media doesn't give you the gps co-ordinates for the story they're covering...

And last but not least...

... You always carry an extra pair of shoes/outfit in your car just in case you get trapped in mud while looking for the latest find...

You actually have more finds than forum posts! :lol::(

(Yar; flame away! :lol: )

You don't waste any time on vacation planning toe nearby caches; you did all the planning before you left. Now you are just in seek mode. :(

PS you already read all of those old threads, probably replied in them too, but still read this one to see if there were any new witticisms.

Edited by wimseyguy

you keep track of today's date by long it has been since the last / will be till the next event.

you're disappointed someone gives you a street address instead of a set of coords

someone asks for directions to a landmark or attraction and you almost slip up and tell them to turn at XXX's cache, and then go straight north pass unknown-park-noone-ever-knows-of :lol:

OK - you know you're a geocacher if...

You're sitting there debating whether you should make the drive to get that single cache :lol: , or save the gas and catch the cache on the way to someplace you need to go (I know - to a real geocacher, that's not even a option :lol: ).

So you call a ladyfriend you just met and ask if she'd like to meet you for coffee (our second date ), at the Borders, right next to the cache in question.

Then you rush so that you beat her there, allowing you time to grab the cache . Talk about pressure... <_<

Fortunately (for her ) I was able to find the cache quickly and still meet her on time. Then, after coffee, I handed her the GPS and had her find it as well. All in all, a very nice date!

Cache on! :lol:

The cell phone one is hilarious. My girlfriend says it doesn't help though because I ususally have a camera hanging around me, a printed paper, and a swag bag hanging from my belt.

You know you're a Geocacher if...

...you have listed Geocaching on a resume in hopes it will recruit new members and create a chance to talk about caching.

...your favorite cologne scent is DEET.

...you have ever gotten a friend mad at you for getting her lost in the woods.

...on a busy day you say, "The Muggles are out in strong forces today..." And get wierd looks from your peers.

Waded through a waste deep river, 50 feet wide to get a cache 300 feet away. Thus avoided having to park elsewhere and the long hike.

Know all of the potential caches within 20 miles of all your friends and relatives houses (also know zipcodes for their towns).

Edited by WN1E

Someone should put a cache there (any park you pass).

Guilty of this!!

Also:

You know you are in trouble when you say you are going to the store, but are really going out to get a FTF in the dark.

Spend most of your time at work thinking of potential cache placements.

Edited by WN1E