Explorist 600 Vs Gpsmap 60cs

miss_twilight

So my boyfriend bought me an eXplorist 600 (from Frys, ouch! We found it on-line way cheaper at Harmony computers today thanks to reading the bug thread on the eXplorists!) but I've heard lots of good things about the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS (which is $390 at Harmony computers.)

The eXplorist already seems to have some basic Washington maps. Does the Garmin come with anything or do I have to purchase the topography maps? If I have to purchase maps for the Garmin, which do you suggest? I only plan on doing Geocaching in Washington State, mostly on the West side of the Cascades but occasionally in Eastern Washington since my parents live there. It seems there are two options - the US Topo and the 24k topo (west). I'm assuming the 24k is more detailed.. is there any reason I should get one over the other?

Anyone find the GPSMAP 60CS for a better price than $390 (plus $10 S&H)?

Regardless, I'm going to take this eXplorist back (has to be back by Friday or it's mine forever or something), if I decide I want to keep it I'll order one from Harmony since they're only $289 instead of $450.

What else should I consider purchasing to go along with either GPS? I know the eXplorist suggests an SD card. Do I need one for the Garmin? The eXplorist didn't even come with a belt clip, I read that the Garmin does.

Thanks for any suggestions.

(Last year he bought me a NavMan pocket pc, but you couldn't even enter Waypoints on it!! I took it back and have been looking off an on for a GPS since. Doesn't seem like prices have changed at all.)

*EDIT* OK, I just read that Garmin doesn't do flash or SD cards. So is the 60CS' 56MB enough?

Never done this before, so... <shrug>

Edited by miss_twilight

Aaah, the age-old dillema of Magellan vs. Garmin :huh:

I love my e600-- but it has many, many flaws. As one poster said, waiting for new firmware is like waiting for Gidot... lack of software updates is very frustrating and is my biggest complaint about Magellan. I hear that Garmin is only slightly better. What I noticed, having used both, is that the Garmin has far better looking maps and 256 colors instead of 16 makes a big difference, aesthetically. The user interface is also far better on the Garmin, with cute add-ons like a calendar and the Garmin is a much better auto-router (although DirectRoute hasn't failed me TOO many times... :( ). However, after testing the 2 units side-by-side, I believe that Magellan has got Garmin beat in the hardware department-- which is a big deal. My eXplorist 600 will keep a lock almost anywhere. We live in L.A. and hunt urban caches in alleys, parking structures, corridors and even buildings. I am shocked at how close that e600 can get us with a slab of concrete over our heads. Apparently, Magellans lie about reception and just kind of guess for you-- but since it always guesses right, I'm cool with that :huh:. Also, the file structure on the Magellan is better than the 60CS, IMO. It's easy to organize and retrieve files.

But all that really doesn't matter for me, since L.A. is almost 60MB. So the deal breaker for us is the SD card. I can't imagine not having it. Being limited to 56MB would be incredibly prohibiting.

So-- hope that helps. It's really a subjective thing, try messing around with both of them and see what you like. Just know that neither come without their SERIOUS flaws.

It seems like anyone who bought a 600 from Harmony sent them back with many problems, myself included. I sent mine to the Canadian repair and they just sent a new one as there where to many things going wrong . Think twice about your 600 purchase......if its working don't return just to get it cheaper somewhere else.

That's just my opinion!!! :huh:

It seems like anyone who bought a 600 from Harmony sent them back  with many problems, myself included. I sent mine to the  Canadian repair and they just sent a new one as there  where  to many things going wrong . Think twice about your 600 purchase......if  its working don't return just to get it cheaper somewhere else.

That's just my opinion!!! :huh:

That is true. I bought mine from Harmony and had to send it back because it was a total lemon. But... Magellan DID replace it with a new and excellently working one, so technically I still got a good e600 for only $300-- I just had to go through a bunch of BS for it :huh: .

I bought a Garmin Map 60CS a few weeks ago from Gander Mt for $500 (OUCH) I think I'm going to buy one online and return the other. But the unit itself is pretty sweet. I havent looked into Topo maps yet, but I want that option.

As for geocaching, whats the best way to use gpx and loc files on the garmin. Is there a way to load all the details into the unit, like the desc. Right now I load one GPX file into the garmin, and then load it onto my pocket PC and use a GPX viewer to read the details. Its kind of a pain in the a**, but then again I dont have to print out anything. I new to the GPS software and GPS units as well.

Thanks

I am a professional geographer and a geocacher, and have owned an eXplorist 600 for about a month. I had to return the first unit due to a bad screen. The second one works fine. I use all the features; it's the best GPSr I have ever owned for recreational use. I would look very carefully at the eXplorist 400, 500, and 600, despite what the Garmin folks say.

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM HARMONY COMPUTERS!!! I too purchased a defective unit from them and was informed when I retured it that it would take 30 days to receive my refund. So after emailing them my displeasure, they told me I'd have it at the end of the week. End of the week came...no money. Called the following Tuesday and they said they credited my account and I'd just have to call my bank and find out what's up. So my bank AND I tag teamed 'em and they said...oops...we really didn't refuned it yet...it's happening right now. 4 days later I see the money. Sending out all those defictive units can't be a coincidence, 30 days to refund a customer's money, and blaming a bank for a non-credit....kinda shaky. That said, I'd definitely go with the 60cs. After returning my ex600 and getting the Garmin, I'm convinced that Garmin simply makes a better product right now. Hit pricegrabber.com or epinions.com for the best prices.

Wow, Harmony is that bad, eh?

I've been out of town and not able to do anything on the computer anyway so I didn't order from them. :laughing:

Thanks for all of the replies.

I don't know if I'll ever use the extra features on the cs, but I ordered that one anyway. I need all the extra fun toys I can get... :lol: Costco didn't have the cs, just the c, so I ordered from Amazon, which still turned out to be pretty expensive. At least I can go knock on their door if they send me a bad one.

Edited by miss_twilight

Trade it for an Explorist 500, the Magnetic compass is a waste of money, if you want a compass buy a real one for less than $10.00

I have not had any problems with my 500

As far a Garmin, maybe some day Garmin will have a GPS with a file structure like the one in the Explosist 400, 500 and 600.

Garmin has far better looking maps and 256 colors instead of 16 makes a big difference,

How many colors do you nead on a map to read the map, 16 is just fine.