Best Pocketpc Gps Software?

ahreno

I switched to a pocket pc and can't seem to find any decent software... I have tried Mapopolis but you can't even make and save waypoints... at least not easily. I like the garmin maps and would LOVE to be able to use them on the pocketpc but i'm not about to spend $200+ on garmins CF GPS unit... if only they would release ppc software. In any case, I'm looking for a good PPC Gps software... Topo maps are nice, waypoints a must, auto route... etc...

any suggestions.

I switched to a pocket pc and can't seem to find any decent software... I have tried Mapopolis but you can't even make and save waypoints...  at least not easily.  I like the garmin maps and would LOVE to be able to use them on the pocketpc but i'm not about to spend $200+ on garmins CF GPS unit...  if only they would release ppc software.  In any case, I'm looking for a good PPC Gps software... Topo maps are nice, waypoints a must, auto route... etc...any suggestions.

I use mapopolis on my pocket pc and think it is great. Did you use the gpxtomaplet converter that mapopolis makes for easily converting gpx files to maplets. I'll be more than happy to go over everything you can do with mapopolis if you want to email me. The Maryland Geocaching Society has an excellent article on their website about different mapping programs to use with pocket pc. You might want to check it out.

http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching

LSUFan

Edited by LSUFan

For map software, I vote for Mapopolis, too. Very fast at panning around the maps and zooming in/out. (If you want an example of slow "bad" software, try the pocketpc version of Microsoft Streets & Trips.) The gpxmaplet utility (google for it) is was what sealed the deal for me. I paid for a "map pack" subscription (something like 30 bucks) and then spent a lunch hour downloading all the maps for the entire U.S., plus some of Europe.

To read cache pages and logs, google for GpxSonar. Also decent is GpxView.

i haven't yet tried geocaching with my ppc yet... but how do you make a way point IN mapopolis?

Gpxtomaplet is good to use if you want to make several waypoints all at the same time. If you just want to make one waypoint, then do it one of these ways.

If you know the coords of the waypoint you are wanting to set up, like say from a cache page:

1. tap on tools at the bottom of the screen

2. tap on find

3. tap on latitude/longitude

4. tap and change all of your coords for degrees, minutes, and thousandths

5. tap on add landmark

6. type in the location name for the cache GC**** (if your keyboard hasn't appeared to let you type, tap on the bottom right-hand icon to bring up the keyboard, then tap it again to close the keyboard.

7. you can type in additional info for this cache if you want to. Make sure under category(optional) that geocache is selected---it makes searching easier if you categorize it-------also under the icon option on this page, it's easier to find on the map page if you make sure the icon you select is the american flag. You change the icon associated with the cache by tapping on the left/right arrow keys beside the icon symbol. If you use the flag icon, This makes your caches appear as red dots on the maps when you are zoomed out. When they are red dots, it's easier to see them seperated from towns and communities on the maps(which by the way are yellow dots)

8. Once you have selected and changed all the options you want, then tap on OK at the top right of your screen----all done now

I was going to tell you how to mark a waypoint when you have your gps going but remmebered you haven't got that far yet.

Hope this helps. There is a little learning curve, like in all programs. Once you practice a little with it, you'll like it more and more.

what i wanted was say i'm at a restaurant, and want to save the location there...  that's what i can't figure out how to do...

OK, you can do it this way if you have a gps card running in your pda, a bluetooth gps running(if applicable to your pda), a standalone gps hooked up with wires, or just know from looking at a map on your pda exactly where you are and want to mark a waypoint at. If you have a gps running with mapopolis all you will do is tap on the blue dot at the #4 stage below.

1. tap on tools

2. tap on maplets

3.tap on add location

4.tap on the position on your map where you want to add a waypoint

5. then type in the location name, select category, and icon as shown in the above forum post to finish it all out.

Hope this helps

Edited by LSUFan