Ok, I Give...

Jester2112

From the forum guidelines linked at the top left corner:

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

it is a new forum identity created by a user so that they can post "anonomously." it's usually not considered a complement to be referred to as a sock puppet, as people oftentimes use sock puppet accounts to log in and be obnoxious. some whackos even use sock puppet accounts to reply to their own posts, as started with their regular identity. i guess they do this to give people the illusion that other forum users agree with their point of view. it's actually pretty disturbing, if you ask me! :huh:

eta: oops, i'm too slow!

Edited by denali7
From the forum guidelines linked at the top left corner:

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

A FULL 60 seconds to reply to my post? Can't you do any better than that? :huh:

Thanks for the information. I just wasn't looking in the right spot. :huh:

Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted

That "guideline" should be updated. We have all seen these posts and they are still here.

I am sure some get deleted, but that implies they all get deleted and that is not the case.

Plus, some sock puppets are "known" and allowed.

But, I am not trying to cause trouble. :huh:

Unless they're cache approvers. In which case sock puppets are OK.

But how are they socks other than all of us are? They do business and/or post regularly etc. A true sock is done to totally hide their normal forum persona so that nobody knows who they are in relation to that. Not as in "real life," but as in that you won't know their regular "forum persona." You know a reviewer's "forum persona" or "reviewer persona." You don't know whose true "forum persona" a sock is. Reviewers may or may not have a regular player persona and reviewer persona that they use to meet the role, but you know both and know the role. Socks have just one regular account and then use the sock to post what they don't want to under their normal account.

P.S. I know of some socks used by both reviewers and regular forum members that have been allowed because they were used for harmless or legitimate reasons and not just to troll or stir up trouble.I figure a bit of tolerance is OK there, but let's face it, most socks are up to simple trolling and little else.

Edited by carleenp

Some reviewers use a separate player account and quite frankly, I on't blame them. They peform a vital service to the community free of charge and catch tons of grief when they have to deny a listing.

If I were a reviewer, you can bet your life that I would keep my true identity secret for as long as possible.

I guess it depends on what you do with a sock puppet account. Reviewers have theirs for reasons stated. Looking at this one, you will see finds. It is also pretty obvious who is doing the typing, though the puppymonster's thinking is sometimes much better than mtn-man's. It is easy to search puppymonster's posts out. Just like the puppymonster, they have all been in honest fun.

How many sock puppets are charter members too? :lol::lol: