Top 15 Benchmark Cachers

LaRobley

I dunno, I don't cache, and don't foresee starting. I benchmark hunt but mostly as a professional. Since Holo's site already delineates the status of who has accomplished what in any way we want, and is based on his research which he himself did. You are basically duplicating his effort, based on his work.

Having you designate yourself in charge of a top anything, while using Holo's research to accomplish it, especially since most of us will not likely remember seeing you in this forum prior to today, and you haven't been, kinda has me feeling that you are sort of stealing from Holo's work to accomplish your own. We do not know you from adam's off ox. Holograph is an established and well respected member of our forum here, and duplicating something from his site, that his site already does is being sort of disrespectful of Him as well as to the rest of us.

By the way, This is Benchmark Hunting, Not Benchmark Caching, There is a difference and we like it that way. If you had gotten to know us, you might have been a bit more sensitive to everything here the whole way around.

I'd like to welcome you to to the benchmark hunting forum, as I see you have been hunting, but please have some respect for Holo's work, and our aspect of the hobby. There is no prestige your website can offer or bestow upon us which we have not already earned from his.

Rob

Man for a person that has only done 25 benchmarks, Were I have been keeping track of utah and Idaho benchmarks for almost a year. And Iam not stealing from holos since I looked at names on gc.com had had to look at each persons profile. which took 3hrs of looking and as far as I can tell on my list there are only 2 pure benchmark hunters that have never done a Geocache. I could of pulled the most of the names from the benchmark site or this forum. Plus If you looked at my site even on the utah and idaho benchmarks its had a link to Holos site for months. And Then my site is in no way trying to compete against holos site. I could never come close. I just wanted to see the top benchmark hunters broken down in a simpler way. That why I have it were you can click on a name and it goes to there profile. Iam not sure what it has to do with me actually posting on the benchmarking forum since I do read it quite often has anything to do with it. So far Iam getting the impression that if your not part of this forum you don't belong....I have done 72 benchmarks and I really enjoy the challenge as I do Geocahing... Which this forum wouldn't be here if it wasn't for geocaching. Iam not here to start anything I just enjoy my hobby.

larobey -

Good job on the new list. Kudos, also, for giving Holocenes.com the proper attribution (in this forum and on your site). He's one of our peeps and deserves the credit you gave him for his outstanding service to our community.

I found your list interesting because of benchmark hunter DCJ. All the other names on the list are familiar to me but DCJ is a new one. Over 1,000 found (and all the logs have pictures).

BTW - who is the other pure benchmark hunter?

If I may suggest one change: call us benchmark hunters. While most of us have done caching, we do view the two activites as being distinct. The term "Benchmark Cacher" is just confusing as it blurs the distinction between tupperware, on the one hand, and critical components of our national infrastructure, on the other.

Again, nice job and welcome to this forum.

Will

Thanks I reelly appreciate it. Of course you and Artman 831 benchmarks. I have been watching DCJ since I live in the same area and I have met Me & Bucky. And I really enjoy looking at the Pictures. I have changed the name also. And I apologize If I have upset anyone That not my intention.

Edited by larobley
I found your list interesting because of benchmark hunter DCJ.  All the other names on the list are familiar to me but DCJ is a new one.  Over 1,000 found (and all the logs have pictures).

Spot-checking some of DCJ's logs suggests he posts just a closeup of the marks he visits.

While of course this is a valuable contribution, I think most of us like to see at least one area view showing the mark in situ.

We live in a large country with benchmarks set in cities and towns and villages, on mountain tops, along the coast, in the desert, and on the plains. I think most of us would agree that it's more interesting to see how the disk or other mark fits into its environment than just looking at a closeup.

DCJ, if you're lurking here, feel free to step up and say hello, and please let us see some of the gorgeous countryside around your benchmarks.

-ArtMan-

Welcome Larobley,

The benchmark hunting forum here is quite concerned with proper terminology. We've even had rather heated discussions on the definition of a benchmark, (or bench mark). :huh: Sometimes it seems to be a little too picky on words, but in hunting marks or stations we like to eliminate as much confusion as possible. This is simply an extension of that way of thinking.

I've viewed your website and it looks good. Knowing what it takes to create a website, you've done quite well. Personally, I don't see a problem with having two websites keeping tabs on the top benchmark hunters. Perhaps it will foster more interest in others to join our aspect of the hobby.

I'm not motivated by numbers, but it's fun to watch the competition. My enjoyment comes from finding "forgotten" or "almost forgotten" marks. Those are the most satisfying ones of all. Unfortunately, theres not a ranking system for finding obscure marks, but that's ok with me.

You won't find me in Holoscenes stats either. This is because I've never submitted an NGS recovery report. Perhaps I will begin at some time in the future, but I'm still learning from others here in this forum.

Again, welcome to the Benchmark Hunting Forum.

- Mitch -

Thanks Difficult Run I really appreciate it. I have two caches to try to get people interested in benchmark hunting. I have been looking at the logs and photos and I really have learned the difference of just taking a picture of the disk and surronding area. And I really understand the challenge there is in Benchmark Hunting.

That which is measured is that which will be maximized. Stats and rankings are important to some. Holograph's list measures reports, found or not. Ranking folks for the number of "found" reports will drive the number of "found" reports.

While I do not doubt the folks who made the list have found a great many marks, spot checking some of the found reports from people on the list reveals that some have been quite loose on verifying intersection stations. This is especilly true of water towers that have been replaced.

larobley,

I can Proudly Stand behind my 25 Geocaching scored "Benchmark" finds. I can stand behind the ones I didn't find too. And all the thousands I never logged here and don't intend to. It's a Career and been at it long before Geocaching. How many I have doesn't matter. My Survey Markers worked per week would eclipse my total score here, and many times in less than a day. To be sure, I have not counted all of it. Helping others become better hunters is what I most enjoy.

Rob

...While I do not doubt the folks who made the list have found a great many marks, spot checking some of the found reports from people on the list reveals that some have been quite loose on verifying intersection stations. This is especilly true of water towers that have been replaced.

The only benchmark I ever looked for (outside of work) was water tower on a hill. The hill was missing, this led me to believe the water tower was also missing. Never did log it, I was looking for it to place a cache, and the benchmark was to be a clue. I have found other marks, entirely incidental to other activites but never log them. I think it's funny when cachers who also hunt benchmarks find one at random and scurry around like ants under a magnifying glass looking for the camera...But they enjoy it so, more power to them.

I agree with GH55. A site that lists benchmark hunters' find counts and lists them in order of find count is somewhat counterproductive.

From a geocacher's point of view, I can see that the find count would seem to be an important measure of accomplishment.

The number of benchmarks found is not a good measure of accomplishment, however.

I can appreciate an interest in making a website page in hopes that people will like it, but in my opinion, holoscene's site has the correct focus on benchmark hunting accomplishment measure and this new website page of top benchmark hunters does not.

While I do not doubt the folks who made the list have found a great many marks, spot checking some of the found reports from people on the list reveals that some have been quite loose on verifying intersection stations. This is especilly true of water towers that have been replaced.

If you have first hand knowledge of this, I hope you have also posted correct logs (as a note or not-found) to set the record straight.

-ArtMan-

larobley -

On a constructive note - you could change your top 15 benchmark hunters in the following way:

1. Get the found count as you have already done

2. Get the total number of logs (like holoscene did) by searching by user in the advanced benchmark search page.

3. email each person on the list, asking them to:

a. go to the geochaching homepage.

b. click on "MY ACCOUNT"

c. click on "Benchmarks"

d. then, click on each log type (Didn't find it, Found it, Mark destroyed, Write note) and record the number for each.

e. send you the 4 numbers

4. Then you could put in your webpage, for each person, 5 columns; the 4 types of logs and their total.

For any that don't email you back, just put a "?" in the Didn't find it, Mark destroyed, and Wrote note columns.

Although we have gone on and on here about the importance of geocaching's giving all 4 log type counts, they've never done it and only each individual can find out their own counts.

So, if you could do the 4 things above, it would be a really interesting contribution!

Okay Black dog trackers this is what I came up with.

I counted your stats it says 563 records I came up a little short here is what I found.

Found 318 destroyed 9 No Find 197 notes 32 =560

plus 4 that showed not logged which you left notes = 560

it took 20 minutes. but the 318 finds versus 302 is strange.

I will look into doing my stats that way if holo and anyone else dosen'y have a problem. I not here to cause any problems.

Edited by larobley

larobley -

Interesting. I just now looked in "MY ACCOUNT" and found these numbers as per the method I gave earlier:

Didn't Find It: 206

Found it: 302

Mark Destroyed: 8

Wrote a Note: 48

Total: 564

I don't know what the difference is in Found-it counts of 302 vs. 318. The no-find numbers are a bit different too. I rarely if ever do multiple logs on a PID, so I doubt it is that. (I think I added a Note-post onto either a found or not-found log once or twice.)

I guess I figure at this point that these differences are fairly small and don't really matter much or care which method is used.

I think if you did this kind of list in your website with some of the top people (I'm not one of them), it would be really cool!

(playing devil's advocate) here's a question.....

This list of top hunters only shows the numbers that are logged at the GeoCaching site. What about all the ones recovered that were monumented after 2000 or so when the GeoCaching site was loaded?

I have logged about 15 with the NGS that will never show on the GeoCaching stats page because they are not in the GeoCache daatabase.

wondering........?

You won't find me in Holoscenes stats either. This is because I've never submitted an NGS recovery report. Perhaps I will begin at some time in the future, but I'm still learning from others here in this forum.

You're in the stats now. It's easy enough for me to add people who've never submitted NGS recovery reports, it's just not so easy for me to find out who they are. I made an attempt a few weeks ago to find some of the most active pure-Geocaching.com benchmark hunters, and did find a surprising number of people who've logged many hundreds and even thousands of benchmarks. There weren't active in this forum, and they didn't report to NGS, so they had never come to my attention.

As a general rule, I don't add many pure-Geocaching.com geocachers unless they fit into the uppermost ranks of the statistics, or they ask to be added, or they are active in the forum community. There are just too many of them out there.