Waymark Created But Not Logged

In my mind, there's a bit of a loose end in the concept of Waymarking as presently done. I have looked at several categories, waymarks, and logs, and have seen 2 different scenarios:

1. A waymark is created and the creator doesn't log the new waymark.

2. A waymark is created and the creator logs the new waymark.

I don't understand why there is such a difference. More specifically, I don't understand the significance of scenario #1. (I would always do #2.)

Does it mean that the creator of the waymark:

a. is signaling that he/she never actually visited the waymark?

b. thinks that logging the new waymark is superfluous or too much work?

c: thinks that logging it is somehow cheating, unfair, or illegal?

d: is simply waiting for "Date Last Visited: not yet" to change, like watching for the first cusomer?

e: just didn't think of logging it?

f: for whatever reason, although meeting the criteria for creating the waymark, did not want to or could not meet the criteria for logging a visit to the waymark?

I have noticed both scenarios occurring within the same category for several instances of categories. It seems that there should be some standardization of the Waymarking concept spelled out concerning this.

I just don't care. I'm mainly interested in sharing the spots right now, not in running up a "find count." I haven't logged visits on the waymarks I've entered in the system, nor do I plan to for the several ones I'm working on in draft form. Yet, in another category, I retro-logged a memorable visit to a plane crash site when a friend set that site up as a waymark.

I don't think of it as a gray area - just an alternate way to play the game. If I choose to play it like I used to play the Locationless cache game I take a list of categories I'm interested in along on a trip and look out for new waymarks to create. If I play it the Virtual cache way I take along a list of waymarks to visit and log. The advantage of the new system is that if I find a new waymark and then get home to discover that it's already been found I now have the option to at least log the visit - something I couldn't do (other than by posting a note) in the old LC days.

I haven't been logging my WM's either. Not sure why. I've been visiting the sites before Waymarking them. I guess I've said all I want to say in the descriptions.

After panning individuals for creating Waymarks that they don't visit, I finally made one from home (although I've driven by/stopped at the site numerous times before).

John Denver's Last Flight

Under the Plane Crash Sites (managed by mtn-man) Category. I mostly did it from home because there didn't seem to be anything at the site to indicate where the disaster happened, so it took me a couple of days to find a reliable source to locate the crash site. I went out yesterday to confirm the area was correct, and found a large piece of driftwood with "John Denver" carved on it. That's the only indication of the horrible events that unfolded in 1997.

I still believe the ground truthing option is best when possible, and that's probably how I'll continue to play the game. As far as logging? I'm not sure it really matters that much to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when the Stats come out B)

Edited by Touchstone
just an alternate way to play the game. If I choose to play it like I used to play the Locationless cache game (...) If I play it the Virtual cache way(...)

Do you really think it still goes about a game ? Or is Waymarking something different, like a big directory of interesting things to see or do in the world ? I imagine that lots of information that is today contained in the logs of the Geocaches (the real ones, not the virtuals) will find its place on the Waymarking site. Example : after finding a cache in Germany, I had the pleasure to eat in a very good & cheap restaurant near the parking place. I logged this information in my log of the cache. But, after a few weeks, my log has now the 59th place in the cache's log history. Who will still find it ? With Waymarking, I could write down the name & position of this restaurant in the appropriate list. It would then be easily found by anybody visiting the regio (for geocaching or not...). And those persons could then log their experience (good or bad) with this same restaurant. Not for getting "found it" rewards, but to share information with the community.

We have created several waymarks but have not logged them. Yes, we have visited them, otherwise we wouldn't have photos. I guess at this point, with being the 'creator' of a waymark, we equate it to being the 'cache owner', and since you don't log your own cache, you wouldn't log your own waymark. I know they are different things, and I know it has been posted that it is perfectly acceptable to log your own waymark. I think we just haven't had enough time to get our brains out of the geocaching mindset and into the Waymarking mindset. We could very well log our waymarks later. In fact, if we visit them again, we will log them, even if only to update information on the waymark.

Also, one of those waymarks we created we visited several months before Waymarking came into being. A couple of them we visited a couple of months before Waymarking came into being. Do we log them with the same day we created the waymark - even though we didn't actually visit them on that date? Do we log them with the actual date we visited, even though that date is before Waymarking was created? Will the system even allow that? I think I'm still just in a dilemma about how or when to log the waymarks we created!

I see the Waymarking thing as a way to create a large database of things/places, etc. If I visited 6 months ago, then create a waymark today, it gives someone the location to visit to 'verify' the information I provided in when creating the waymark. Me logging it adds nothing - I'm only going to provide the information I already did to begin with. To me, logging my own waymark only adds a number count to my stats - eventually. It really adds nothing else to the waymark or the category.

I think that it is totally appropriate to log a visit to a waymark that you have created. I think that I have a problem with creating a waymark for your category, however.

I do see Waymarking as a game. It is what LCs and virts went, so it's the same game, in my opinion.

To me, creating a category is like creating an LC. In general, I wouldn't log my own LC (with some exceptions), so I probably wouldn't create waymarks for a category that I manage.

Creating a waymark is like creating a virt. While I wouldn't log a find on my own virt, I don't se a problem with logging a waymark. I realize that this is where my logic breaks down, but I look at it this way:

Lets say that I really like lighthouses. I might want to visit every lighthouse that I can. I log my visits at WM.com and track my progress. I discover a lighthouse that hasn't yet been waymarked. I create the waymark and log my visit. This way I can have a record of my visit to this lighthouse.

My logging of the find doesn't effect anyone else's enjoyment of the waymark and wasn't really made easier because I created the waymark. I don't think my log effects anyone else's drive to be FTF because I think in Waymarking, this drive is more geared toward creating the waymarks as it is with LCs because the first to log a visit to a waymark is really the second person to find the item; the first being the waymark creator.

We have created several waymarks but have not logged them. Yes, we have visited them, otherwise we wouldn't have photos. I guess at this point, with being the 'creator' of a waymark, we equate it to being the 'cache owner', and since you don't log your own cache, you wouldn't log your own waymark. I know they are different things, and I know it has been posted that it is perfectly acceptable to log your own waymark. I think we just haven't had enough time to get our brains out of the geocaching mindset and into the Waymarking mindset. We could very well log our waymarks later. In fact, if we visit them again, we will log them, even if only to update information on the waymark.

Also, one of those waymarks we created we visited several months before Waymarking came into being. A couple of them we visited a couple of months before Waymarking came into being. Do we log them with the same day we created the waymark - even though we didn't actually visit them on that date? Do we log them with the actual date we visited, even though that date is before Waymarking was created? Will the system even allow that? I think I'm still just in a dilemma about how or when to log the waymarks we created!

I see the Waymarking thing as a way to create a large database of things/places, etc. If I visited 6 months ago, then create a waymark today, it gives someone the location to visit to 'verify' the information I provided in when creating the waymark. Me logging it adds nothing - I'm only going to provide the information I already did to begin with. To me, logging my own waymark only adds a number count to my stats - eventually. It really adds nothing else to the waymark or the category.

Same here. I don't quite yet know what to make of the site, so I'm just going with what I know and will work out the details later.

If I create a waymark, of course it's because it's not already someone else's creation, it's not for me, it's to share with others who may be interested in those categories.

I have been to all but one of the 6 I've created. I was creating one fountain that I have driven by many times, and knew of another, to add to the category. I got the coords from GE. If they're wrong, I'm sure the first person to try to go there will let me know post haste!

3 of them I was at, many years ago, and found the coords and created them since they fit the category. I probably won't revisit those 3.

The fountain I drive by I will Log as Visited when I go there to verify my coords, and take pics of it.

I also created a Landlocked Lighthouse, I created it based on a previous visit, and then went to verify it, took pics, and then logged it.

I can create Waymarks for what I know, if I go to them, then I'll Log a Visit.

I also want to create another, for a zoo, but that category says a pic is required to create one, so I'll wait until I go there, rather than creating it and going there afterwards.

The few I created already didn't require pics.

So, to me, creating a waymark is based on knowledge and getting/having coords; logging one I wouldn't do until/unless I go there, or was there very recently.

Makes the most sense to me.

Bootron and I have discussing the addition of a "Founder's Log" that will somehow be set apart from the first log (FTF). I understand why some folks want to save that first log for the first person to visit their waymark, but there also needs to be some place for the founder to put more information not suitable for the waymark description.

For instance, if I add a Brewery waymark, it might not make sense for me to write about what I had to drink/eat in the waymark description. The founder's log would be the place for that information, while reserving the first regular log for the first finder.