Cache Not Allowed Indoors?

BillP3rd

I placed a cache (http://geocaching.jayhawk.net/denied/cache.html) but the approver feels that caches inside libraries shouldn't be listed. I've seen dozens of these and personally found two. The objection is that strictly speaking a GPS receiver isn't *required* to find the cache. The posted coordinates are for the entrance to the library.

Are new caches inside libraries banned?

There's a library cache near me which was placed this summer.

There were 4 of us waiting in line for the library to open that morning, which was fun. Once the library opened, we all sat in around a table and signed the log. Pretty cool - no bugs, and kind of like a geocaching event. We had to whisper, though.

Library caches are ok, in my opinion. And apparently in the opinion of my local reviewer.

I've found a couple inside a library. (TN., CA, and IN come to mind.) I've found several more inside bookstores. Some have been very well done. Some haven't. It's not unlike tupperware in the woods in that regard.

As to how it can be considered geocaching, it involves the placement of a container with a logbook potentially with exchange items, using a GPS and/or clues to locate it, and working with property owners to ensure that it is welcome and that its well-being is preserved. That sounds much more like the textbook definition of geocaching than a lot of what we see these days. It's kind of neat to be able to walk to a terminal 30 feet from a cache and log it.

GCHK9B is as clever as any I've seen and amazingly implemented - way better than than most. GCGYG6 is pretty well done. I could dig up more if necessary, but I think I'll have to call Hemlock on this one - placing/finding a cache inside a library that meets the definitions and rules of geocaching isn't out of the question.

Could it be that the real objection is the distance from you to the cache?  Renton, WA to Estes, Co is pretty far.

If that was the real issue, the approver would have said so. Typically a library cache has the staff involved and they will help maintain it which solves the maintenance issue.

But in this case, wouldn't that mean if you were over a thousand miles away, that the "staff" would then need to "adopt" the cache?

Could it be that the real objection is the distance from you to the cache? Renton, WA to Estes, Co is pretty far.

Not a problem.

1. I own a home in Estes Park. In fact, I'd bet cash money that you can't find a Estes phonebook without my name in it (you'd have to go back 70+ years!)

2. My sister lives nearby and maintains all of my Colorado caches. They're listed under her geocaching id.

3. I've placed 7 others in the area, all "approved".

Could it be that the real objection is the distance from you to the cache?  Renton, WA to Estes, Co is pretty far.

If that was the real issue, the approver would have said so. Typically a library cache has the staff involved and they will help maintain it which solves the maintenance issue.

But in this case, wouldn't that mean if you were over a thousand miles away, that the "staff" would then need to "adopt" the cache?

The library staff was enthusiastic about the cache. The library director approved it personally. In fact, he placed it! Distance isn't an issue. I'm a part-time resident.

Is this a question of caches being placed in LIBRARYS or caches being placed indoors altogether? I found a cache inside the lobby of a hotel...and also a cache inside the visitor center of a park! I don't see a problem with a cache being indoors (or in this case the library) as long as you have permission from the right people and explain completely the game and what people will be doing as they search, and what they are searching for.

How can finding a cache inside a library be considered geocaching?

I couldn't help but notice that Mr. Hemlock here has the quote of the day B) Anyway, back to the topic on hand...

That's because he is a grade A Oh-fishul Groundspeak Lackey , and has the power to be swayed by constructive thoughts & commentary.

And his indoor caches are the hardest hit in the country, and people are finding them as we speak.

How do you do it?

I couldn't help but notice that Mr. Hemlock here has the quote of the day B) Anyway, back to the topic on hand...

That's because he is a grade A Oh-fishul Groundspeak Lackey , and has the power to be swayed by constructive thoughts & commentary.

And his indoor caches are the hardest hit in the country, and people are finding them as we speak.

How do you do it?

How do I do what?

We've found three library caches. Two of them consisted of cache pages which gave coordinates for the library building itself and information on how to find additional needed information once inside. That information consisted of coordinates that led us to a final cache.

The other one listed coordinates that took us to a place just outside of a library. Once there, we then found the information needed to find the log only cache that was placed inside.

There's not a thing wrong with these types of setups!

How do you do it?

How do I do what?

Take two....

I'm talking about Hemlock...not you!

This cache has a micro attached to a light pole outside the library. Inside the micro are directions as to how to complete the cache. In this case you are directed to a drawer in the library and the log book in which you are to extend a story. Would something like that satisfy everybody?

I might add that I have found five library caches, three of which are in Colorado Springs.

You can have a cache out of your normal area with local help. The locals don't need to adopt the cache, they don't even have to be geocachers.

You can have a cache out of your normal area with local help. The locals don't need to adopt the cache, they don't even have to be geocachers.

Not an issue.

1. I'm regularly there.

2. The cache is posted by my sister who is an active cacher and lives there.

3. The library director (who I personally talked with) approved and placed the cache.

This cache has a micro attached to a light pole outside the library. Inside the micro are directions as to how to complete the cache. In this case you are directed to a drawer in the library and the log book in which you are to extend a story. Would something like that satisfy everybody?

I might add that I have found five library caches, three of which are in Colorado Springs.

That's an excellent example, since GPS use and coordinates are relevant for part of the hunt. Ditto for the example where GPS reception was available indoors due to large windows.

These examples differ from a "geocache" that said to just leave your GPS at home and proceed directly to the library.

Great question - and I have a two fold answer.

In Utah, there's several caches that are outside the libraries. The owners apparently did not have permission to place them.

Anyhow, when a few geocachers went in the library looking for them, the librarians felt it was disruptive and rude, and requested that all geocaching activities outside, inside, and round the library be ceased, and removed from the premisis. If they could find them, they said, they would be immediately destroyed because it was "disruptive, rude, and not what the library was intended for".

Apparently, however, they do permit the boyscouts, girlscouts, and local school children in there without parents for hours every day after school. (You tell me which is more disruptive....)

The key here, is that the geocaches just got cammo'ed better, put outside, hidden in corners of the farthest parking lots, and a note on the cache saying go during off hours.

Just some thoughts from the edge. :laughing:

~Rose

... These examples differ from a "geocache" that said to just leave your GPS at home and proceed directly to the library.

Darn it, I agree with Keystone. I hate it when that happens.

The problem that I see with this cache is that it gives too much information. I wouldn't need my GPSr (or the coords) at all to find this cache. I just have to drive to the library and look it up.

I think that your idea is a very good one, but you should severely limit the info that you are giving on your cache page.

I would just give the coords and the hours of operation. My clue would be 'Look it up'.

I just like the fact that this library cache actually has the approval of the library staff. I've done 4 library caches to date, 1 of which had permission, the other 3 did not. One of those caches without library permission was in an actual book...that got checked out! :) That cache was promptly archived. :lol: