Traviling Cache

the butterfly effect

Following up on what Keystone said, I'll reference a previous post of his outlining some of the issues with travelling caches:

1. Placing the traveling cache in a restricted area where caches aren't allowed.

2. Owners who didn't update the coordinates for their moving cache, creating confusion.

3. Finders who did not log their retrieval of the moving cache, causing others to search at the given coordinates, wasting their time and possibly creating environmental damage.

4. Cache is out of range for the owner to maintain.

5. No control over whether the selected cache location meets the other listing guidelines on this site (too close to railroad tracks, etc.)

Hydee later followed up with:

We have had them, there were a ton of complications with them and they are something we do not support. I would not expect to see moving caches return as an option on this site.

So, unfortunately you cannot create travelling caches any longer.

Put a travel bug tag onto a small container, and you're off and running!

But you can't have that container listed here on the site as a geocache. New traveling caches are no longer listed, since a rule change in 2003.

Is Traveling Cache different than having a travel bug inside a new geocache??

Put a travel bug tag onto a small container, and you're off and running!

But you can't have that container listed here on the site as a geocache.  New traveling caches are no longer listed, since a rule change in 2003.

Is Traveling Cache different than having a travel bug inside a new geocache??

In terms of what your eyes see when you open a big cache, the answer is no. You either see a moving cache with no travel bug tag, or you see a travel bug tag attached to a container that has some stuff inside it. Same container.

But in terms of how the website is designed, and how geocaches are perceived by land managers, the answer is yes. A travel bug is permitted and a traveling cache is not.

and beyond that, an ammo-can that has a TB tag attached to it has some benefits that a moving cache does not:

• it will travel from one approved cache location to another
  • the coords of the TB do not have to be continuously updated to keep it current as the cache it is visiting will provide that information

the above characteristics tend to deal with most of the problems seen in the past with moving caches, but there is still the problem of maintenance over the long term if the TB moves too far from the owner to easily maintain...to that end, I have written the mission/goal of the 3 "ammo-can wiith logs and trade-items" that I have running in the world to include their being required to circulate within my maintenance range...

This is an example of a travelling cache that's been around for two and a half years (before the guideline change) It's a magnet so the possibilities are there for mostly urban placement but it gives you an idea of what has to go on for a travelling cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCD079

There are a variety of reasons for not allowing them. Keystone posted these last month when the question came up then:

1. Placing the traveling cache in a restricted area where caches aren't allowed.

2. Owners who didn't update the coordinates for their moving cache, creating confusion.

3. Finders who did not log their retrieval of the moving cache, causing others to search at the given coordinates, wasting their time and possibly creating environmental damage.

4. Cache is out of range for the owner to maintain.

5. No control over whether the selected cache location meets the other listing guidelines on this site (too close to railroad tracks, etc.)

I can point to specific examples of some of the above problems.

Hope that helps.