Sub-category Proposal: Wal-mart Stores

This listing would definately fit under the Places category, then stores/retail directory. I can easily pin every store in the U.S. (and many abroad), inluding all the detail behind them (square footage, grand opening date, internal stores; i.e., McDonalds, Subway, Wells Fargo Banks, Hair/Nail salon, Bakery, Deli, Seafood, etc., and more). I'm willing to do the work for what could be the largest sub-cat out there!

If we're going to be serious about this, we may as well put the number one retailer in our directory. Where else can you buy a lobster and batteries for your GPS. It's also a place that sells GPS units, if you're into that "geocaching" thing.

Hey, I agree 100%, but if the higher ups are going to do it anyway I might as well lead the charge with something I have a interest and higher than average knowledge of.

I do hope they do away with chain retail and fast food, but I fear the few of us who have spoken up will be covered by the masses who will want these sorts of things.

The sub category of stores/retail has already been created, it's only a matter of time until it happens.

I tried, but couldnt fit a lobster into my GPS

<_<

Anyway, I am totally against putting retail establishments or fast food onto the site, but it seems that's what they're going to do and that's what the site is all about. I feel that no franchised retail or food establishments should be located here, but again, majority rules here.

My argument for the category is that there are many diverse looking Wal-Mart stores out there. Some are blue, some green, and one that I work in is brown. There are a few that are "green" stores that operate with partial solar power and other electricity saving options. There was a store that just opened in my area that has a place for the Amish to park their horses and buggies (and yes, a local was hired to "maintain" the area). A lot of interesting things out there that we don't see every day.

Personally, I don't think I'm going to spend much time at Waymarking.com, though since I'm helping to fund it I wouldn't mind being in charge of something there and this is my business......time shall tell. :laughing:

I can easily pin every store in the U.S. (and many abroad),

The problem I see here is this sort of proposal will take the "fun" aspect out of Waymarking for lots of people.

By establishing a category, and then filling it (in the name of advertising no doubt), it leaves no incentive to most people to log the stores. I say this as it seems that people value the creation of a waymark much more tha logging an existing waymark.

I am still hoping that TPTB are busy at the moment trying to come up with a way of seperating these "commercial" categories from the "for the fun of it" type. I dont envy them if they are, there is a very blurred boundary.

I would have to vote no. Simply because there are other ways to locate a Wal-Mart. Such as going to walmart.com and search for a store. I believe these waymarks should be for things that cannot be found on the internet, like all the signs of old route 66, states' historical markers and the like. Things that are more genuine that WalMart.

I would have to vote no. Simply because there are other ways to locate a Wal-Mart. Such as going to walmart.com and search for a store.

HaHa, you stole my original argument. I did make the same statement about McDonalds in a separate thread, yet there is an entire subcat for McDonalds already. What is going to stop anyone from putting more franchised places on the site???? Wendys, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. all have locators on their web site so why do they need to be here??

I believe these waymarks should be for things that cannot be found on the internet, like all the signs of old route 66, states' historical markers and the like. Things that are more genuine that WalMart.

I'm on your side here, but I'm just trying to make a point a different way. I think it's silly to use the resources to document retail stores and chain fast food, but it's going to happen eventually. I enjoyed the idea of finding places and having to find information to log a cache. To me finding a McDonalds and having to order a number three combo meal is not my idea of an adventure.

I can easily pin every store in the U.S. (and many abroad)

OK, OK, I did not mean I was going to fill in all the blanks or put all the stores here, but I could provide additional information if not posted.

Edited by bp_guy
I would have to vote no. Simply because there are other ways to locate a Wal-Mart. Such as going to walmart.com and search for a store. I believe these waymarks should be for things that cannot be found on the internet, like all the signs of old route 66, states' historical markers and the like. Things that are more genuine that WalMart.

Good point. If you can type in a Local Search in Google Earth with a single word, then it's at your fingertips.

Put in 'walmart' and any town and you see where all the Walmarts are, coords, directions, everything at your fingertips.