Finding A Waymark

Okay, I may just be missing something obvious, but I'm having some difficulties searching for waymarks in specific locations.

For example, we'll be visiting Mt. St. Helens this afternoon, and I'd like to see if there are any waymarks of any kind along the route, or more specifically, at the Johnston Ridge Observatory at the top. The only way I can find to search for waymarks is by postal code, and only within a 10-mile radius. My difficulty is that there is not a zip code for anything with quite a few miles of this location, which means that unless I know specifically what I'm looking for, I can't find anything.

Is there a way to do a search? If there's nothing there, I'd love to add a waymark for the numerous cool things at the top. However, if I can't find out before I go, I probably won't bother going to the trouble.

There aren't a whole lot of waymarks in the database so using the "search for waymarks" feature will be highly disappointing for you in the first year. As it ramps up I expect all sorts of interesting items to pop up for you. We'll also be integrating networked KML files to allow you to use Google Earth as a sort of waymark browser as well.

At this point you should look at this as a scavenger hunt of sorts. Pick a few interesting categories and see if you can find something that fits the category subscription. Check out the things the category manager is looking for (information-wise) and go out and mark them! It's a community database that needs love.

Personally, I think the idea of Waymarking is terrific. It will lure people to interesting and novel places without adding litter to our landscape. I much prefer to find places off the beaten track rather than be searching out some trinket in a non-descript location. Fortunately, there are many Geocaches in great locations, but these are offset by some located in some drab location. Also, quite often the caches are located off trails to prevent muggles from finding them, however, this results in new, off-trail paths to be created which may harm the local ecology and be destructive.

I firmly believe that a mechanism be set up so one can search for all waymarks within a given search radius as can be done with Geocaches. It's rather laborious to have to first select a category and subcategory, only to find a listing of waymarks from areas many, many miles from your intended search area. They are not even listed by state! The search capability has to significantly improve before I think this program will become popular.