Becareful Were You 'pee'

trail hound

Archery Season will open today (Sept.10) in some parts of N.J ,Oct. 1st in other parts.

Bow hunters typically hunt from treestands and wear total camoflauge. Making it difficult to detect them.

So be forewarned ladies... Take a good look around before you pee.The person watching could be me :D:D:D ....... :laughing:

Yeah,,Yeah,, I know...It's 'WHERE' not 'WERE' (to early in the morning)

Edited by trail hound

Yeah, I recall last year bushwacking on Turkey Mtn and saw something odd on the ground. Walked over to pick it up, then heard something and looked up to see a totally camoed bowhunter in a tree stand.

It was a bit unsettling because I greeted him and he didn't say a word. Just stared at me. I knew he was hunting illegally as it was in a Morris Cty park where it is not allowed. I walked away half expecting an arrow in the back.

I'm ok with the bow hunters as they are usually pretty thoughtful about their shots (as they need to retrieve their arrows if they miss).  Rifle guys are usually good too.  But when the shotgun hunters get out there, that's when I worry. B)

There is no rifle hunting in NJ. It's all shotgun and bow. You can use a rifled slug gun (shotgun) but not a regular rifle.

-dave

I'm ok with the bow hunters as they are usually pretty thoughtful about their shots (as they need to retrieve their arrows if they miss). Rifle guys are usually good too. But when the shotgun hunters get out there, that's when I worry. B)

The bow hunters also need to be pretty close up and have a good view of their target. Its the rifle hunters that scare me. How are they going to tell the difference between a deer and me in my Bambi outfit from 100 yards away? Thankfully it isn't an issue in NJ, but in NY and PA it could be.

There is an article in the Star Ledger today about a Bow hunter that was chased by a black bear about a half mile through the Black river Management area in Chester yesterday. The DEP conservation officers searched for the bear but didn't locate it. I believe Hartclimbs Duck season -Wabbit season cache is in this area. So be careful to all that search for this one.

Thanks for the tip, Trailhound! B) I had a, uh situation in the woods yesterday and had that thought--except I thought, gee, I am glad it's not hunting season yet. Better pay closer attention and get ourselves some blaze orange hats.

Briansnat, that's just the creepiest thing. I fear other people in the woods much more than bears and other large fauna.

Thanks for the tip, Trailhound!  :huh: I had a, uh situation in the woods yesterday and had that thought--except I thought, gee, I am glad it's not hunting season yet. Better pay closer attention and get ourselves some blaze orange hats.

Briansnat, that's just the creepiest thing. I fear other people in the woods much more than bears and other large fauna.

Hey Sue ....Quess what? I WAS WATCHING YOU YESTERDAY FROM MY TREESTAND!!!

Were you the blonde that did the Munachunk Tunnels on Saturday???? You were in a black jeep and with some guy .....You two were tiptoeing around the mudpuddles and laughing and carring on !!!!I couldn't wait for you to leave....You were scaring everything away!!!!! :(

Just kidd'n (I read your log :) ) :D:huh:

I'm ok with the bow hunters as they are usually pretty thoughtful about their shots (as they need to retrieve their arrows if they miss).  Rifle guys are usually good too.  But when the shotgun hunters get out there, that's when I worry. :huh:

The bow hunters also need to be pretty close up and have a good view of their target. Its the rifle hunters that scare me. How are they going to tell the difference between a deer and me in my Bambi outfit from 100 yards away? Thankfully it isn't an issue in NJ, but in NY and PA it could be.

For one think Bambi didn't weigh 240 pounds! Secondly, about the plushy thing... nevermind i could go on all night! :huh:

The bow people don't worry me as much as the shotgun people. :(

I'm ok with the bow hunters as they are usually pretty thoughtful about their shots (as they need to retrieve their arrows if they miss).  Rifle guys are usually good too.  But when the shotgun hunters get out there, that's when I worry. :huh:

There is no rifle hunting in NJ. It's all shotgun and bow. You can use a rifled slug gun (shotgun) but not a regular rifle.

-dave

NJDEP

Rifle Permit

A valid rifle permit is required for coyote, deer, squirrel and woodchuck hunting with a muzzleloading rifle; raccoon and opossum hunting with a .22 caliber rifle; and for dispatching trapped animals other than muskrat with a .22 caliber rifle. Initial rifle permit applicants must be at least 10 years old and have successfully completed a rifle Hunter Education course. Rifle permits for 10 to 17 years olds will be valid only for muzzleloaders. No persons under 18 years old may hunt with centerfire or rimfire rifles.

-dave

NJDEP

Rifle Permit

A valid rifle permit is required for coyote, deer, squirrel and woodchuck hunting with a muzzleloading rifle; raccoon and opossum hunting with a .22 caliber rifle; and for dispatching trapped animals other than muskrat with a .22 caliber rifle. Initial rifle permit applicants must be at least 10 years old and have successfully completed a rifle Hunter Education course. Rifle permits for 10 to 17 years olds will be valid only for muzzleloaders. No persons under 18 years old may hunt with centerfire or rimfire rifles.

Ummmmm... There IS a black powder rifle season...

And for those of you who think black powder means an inaccurate bullet that does not travel far... like an old smooth bore flintlock...

Think again...

A good Sharps 0.54 caliber (black powder), in the right hands has better range and accuracy than a Winchester 30-30

(which when pointed at the right angle has a range, altho not accurate, of almost 8 miles)...

A scoped Winchester 30-30 has an effective range of about 225 yds.

A scoped 12 ga. shotgun with a sabot slug has an effective range of about 200 yds.

(More if using 00 or 000 buck shot).

A scoped Sharps .54 cal. (black powder), has an effective range of 1500 yds.

ANYWAY... no matter what hunting season it is... Bow, Black powder or Shotgun...

To be safe, you should wear "Hunters Orange" when going into the woods...

Either a vest or hat...

You'd be surprise at how similar a Geocacher's a** and a deer's a** look the same when poking out of bushes, maybe trying to locate a cache?

And also wear something that will give off a metalic sound when walking...

(won't be a problem for stayfloopy!)

P.S. that said...

DO NOT WEAR A WHITE HANKY HANGING OUT OF YOUR BACK POCKET!!!

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors
The bow people don't worry me as much as the shotgun people.  :lol:

Dunno. I was hiking south on the AT from Rte 23 in High Point State Park. Saw a confused-looking guy with a cross bow standing in the middle of the trail. He had me plenty worried.

I don't believe crossbows are legal in NJ. At least they weren't at one time. I don't keep up on hunting laws that much.

I'm ok with the bow hunters as they are usually pretty thoughtful about their shots (as they need to retrieve their arrows if they miss).  Rifle guys are usually good too.  But when the shotgun hunters get out there, that's when I worry. :lol:

-dave

NJDEP

Rifle Permit

Are we talking deer or small game in this thread. I hope that any hunter who has passed the hunter education course in NJ would not mistake a human for small game (same goes for any other animal as well, but I digress) .22 rifle is only for racoon and opossum - (Which is in season shortly BTW) The rifle mentioned below for deer are muzzeloaders only - .44 + Much like the rationale mentioned that "bow hunters are safer because they need to pick their shots because they only get one" (which I don't wholly agree with) a muzzeloader only gets one.

In reality, a safe and legal hunter will cary any weapon in a safe condition, will identify his or her target, will identify what is BEYOND their target, and will only fire if the entire shot picture is safe. Now I am not going to claim that every hunter that is out there is perfect, but the vast, vast, majority of them are. And those of us who are tend to "police ourselves" Those that are safe will correct those that are not. I tend to get a little edgy when people start protraying hunters as people whos' only goal is to go into the woods and blast away at everything in sight (not that you said that, but this thread seemed to be heading in that direction). Some of my best days hunting have been days where I never fired a single shot, but it's not the same as a hike, there are differences. Its hard to explain, but it's different. Anyway, this is just my two cents. If everyone takes proper percautions everybody should get along just fine. And if ANYBODY sees ANYBODY hunting where they should not be, my advice is mark the waypoint and leave, and then call the rangers in the area and tell them what and where you saw it. The Rangers in NJ take their job VERY seriously and have no sympathy for people who skirt the law.

-dave

Edited by Phonedave
Thanks for the tip, Trailhound!  :lol: I had a, uh situation in the woods yesterday and had that thought--except I thought, gee, I am glad it's not hunting season yet. Better pay closer attention and get ourselves some blaze orange hats.

Were you the blonde that did the Munachunk Tunnels on Saturday???? You were in a black jeep and with some guy .....You two were tiptoeing around the mudpuddles and laughing and carring on !!!!I couldn't wait for you to leave....You were scaring everything away!!!!! :o

Just kidd'n (I read your log :D ) :lol::lol:

:o Our Jeep's blue. Oh, and there was no tiptoeing, that's for wimps. With us, it was all stomp-and-splash, all the time. :o

I'm ok with the bow hunters as they are usually pretty thoughtful about their shots (as they need to retrieve their arrows if they miss).  Rifle guys are usually good too.  But when the shotgun hunters get out there, that's when I worry. :lol:

-dave

NJDEP

Rifle Permit

Are we talking deer or small game in this thread. I hope that any hunter who has passed the hunter education course in NJ would not mistake a human for small game (same goes for any other animal as well, but I digress) .22 rifle is only for racoon and opossum - (Which is in season shortly BTW) The rifle mentioned below for deer are muzzeloaders only - .44 + Much like the rationale mentioned that "bow hunters are safer because they need to pick their shots because they only get one" (which I don't wholly agree with) a muzzeloader only gets one.

In reality, a safe and legal hunter will cary any weapon in a safe condition, will identify his or her target, will identify what is BEYOND their target, and will only fire if the entire shot picture is safe. Now I am not going to claim that every hunter that is out there is perfect, but the vast, vast, majority of them are. And those of us who are tend to "police ourselves" Those that are safe will correct those that are not. I tend to get a little edgy when people start protraying hunters as people whos' only goal is to go into the woods and blast away at everything in sight (not that you said that, but this thread seemed to be heading in that direction). Some of my best days hunting have been days where I never fired a single shot, but it's not the same as a hike, there are differences. Its hard to explain, but it's different. Anyway, this is just my two cents. If everyone takes proper percautions everybody should get along just fine. And if ANYBODY sees ANYBODY hunting where they should not be, my advice is mark the waypoint and leave, and then call the rangers in the area and tell them what and where you saw it. The Rangers in NJ take their job VERY seriously and have no sympathy for people who skirt the law.

-dave

Well put...

Actually, I've been hunting in NJ since the late '60's...

and the only time I felt unsafe was in Wittingham WMA...

on opening day for pheasant...

It was back in the 70's and a bunch of obviously "city boys" were running (litterally) and taking shots at anything that moved... while they were running...

We left and went elsewhere...

I still advise wearing hunter orange while geocaching...

It's probably more likely you can get hit during small game season than deer season... as in small game (at least birds) you are trying to hit a moving target...

and the someone may not see you walk around the end or over the top of a burm...

And do not underestimate what a blast of high brass #6 birdshot will do to a geocacher...

Best to aviod caches in WMA's during hunting season...

Thanks for the tip, Trailhound!  :o I had a, uh situation in the woods yesterday and had that thought--except I thought, gee, I am glad it's not hunting season yet. Better pay closer attention and get ourselves some blaze orange hats.

Were you the blonde that did the Munachunk Tunnels on Saturday???? You were in a black jeep and with some guy .....You two were tiptoeing around the mudpuddles and laughing and carring on !!!!I couldn't wait for you to leave....You were scaring everything away!!!!! :o

Just kidd'n (I read your log :D ) :lol::lol:

:o Our Jeep's blue. Oh, and there was no tiptoeing, that's for wimps. With us, it was all stomp-and-splash, all the time. :o

O.K. ...O.K......Ya got me....Well it looked black in your profile :lol:

-dave

NJDEP

Rifle Permit

-dave

Well put...

Actually, I've been hunting in NJ since the late '60's...

and the only time I felt unsafe was in Wittingham WMA...

on opening day for pheasant...

It was back in the 70's and a bunch of obviously "city boys" were running (litterally) and taking shots at anything that moved... while they were running...

We left and went elsewhere...

I still advise wearing hunter orange while geocaching...

It's probably more likely you can get hit during small game season than deer season... as in small game (at least birds) you are trying to hit a moving target...

and the someone may not see you walk around the end or over the top of a burm...

And do not underestimate what a blast of high brass #6 birdshot will do to a geocacher...

Best to aviod caches in WMA's during hunting season...

I have been avoiding placing caches in Flatbrook-Roy WMA for just that very reason. Thats where we hunt phesant. During the off season its a nice place to go and cache - I would love to place some around the beaver pond area. Also some of the abandoned houses and wells from the old Tocks Island project would be interesting places to bring a cacher. But during upland game season I would be leery. I don't think anybody would be shot, but it might unnerve a few.

I know what you mean about "city types". We call them "meat hunters" They are they ones who will be staking out birds roosting in trees along the road. Then at sunup, they bag them and go home. It more enjoyable to buy a chicken at the grocery store if thats what you are going to do. I have also seen some people do some stupid things hunting. But you tend to see the same core of people year over year, and the unsafe ones tend to get weeded out. They are the ones who think its all running through the wood blowing stuff away. They soon find out its not, and never come back.

-dave

Edited by Phonedave

I am in the middle of moving to Jefferson. I am pretty sure my neighbors hunt in the park that abutts my back yard. I am setting up a tree stand to pick them off, or at least the game they flush into my yard. Geocachers are welcome and besides, the paitnballs won't really be lethal.

Anxiously awaiting my first bear encounter in my yard... and my wifes reaction.

........and you thought the scopes on the weapons were for aiming at game!

Actually, any hunters I know or have met casually pride themselves on being the poster children for safety. Even commuting through hunting areas, I cannot say I have observed anyone unsafe. I tended to keep my eyes peeled after 25+ years experience in firearms training. The only unsafe incident I know of involved hunters being robbed at gunpoint exiting the woods somewhere on Canistear Road about 5-8 years ago, never solved to my knowledge.

Play it safe but don't prejudge the hunters. If you ever notice the hunters' reaction to anti-hunting demonstrations caught by NJ News or other services, it's not the hunters that are loud, obnoxious and out-of-control.

Archery Season will open today (Sept.10) in some parts of N.J ,Oct. 1st in other parts.

Bow hunters typically hunt from treestands and wear total camoflauge. Making it difficult to detect them.

So be forewarned ladies...  Take a good look around before you pee.The person watching could be me  :D  :D  :D ....... :D

Yeah,,Yeah,, I know...It's 'WHERE'  not  'WERE'  (to early in the morning)

editted::tyrades

what exactly is the point in hunting?

meat can be bought in markets and wildlife conservationists can cull the numbers of wildlife populations themselves instead.

Edited by GeoKender

meat can be bought in markets and wildlife conservationists can cull the numbers of wildlife populations themselves instead.

You could ask the same question of Geocaching...

Or fishing...

Fish can be bought in a market also...

Same thing that attracts fishermen to fishing... attracts hunters to hunting...

and why does a conservationist have to be hired to cull the numbers when hunting is such a popular soprt, and serves the conservation of resources...

BTW... NJ has one of the best, most successful Fish & Game Departments in the US...

Sorry... a bit off topic... this really is not the forum to discuss the pros/cons of hunting...

You could ask the same question of Geocaching...

Or fishing...

Fish can be bought in a market also...

Same thing that attracts fishermen to fishing... attracts hunters to hunting...

and why does a conservationist have to be hired to cull the numbers when hunting is such a popular soprt, and serves the conservation of resources...

BTW... NJ has one of the best, most successful Fish & Game Departments in the US...

Sorry... a bit off topic... this really is not the forum to discuss the pros/cons of hunting...

Exactly

One thing that hunting has done, at least for me, is has given me a GREATER repsect for animal life.

Its one thing to go to a store, and buy an nice shiny, sanitary, pre-wrapped, package of meat. You bring it home, cook it, and never give a thought as to where it came from, or what it once was.

Its an entirely diffent story when you must do all the work yourself, and you see that meat is a) a living, breathing, animal, and b ) messy. I am well aware of what I am eating, and where it came from, and what was sacrificed evertime I eat meat, weather it came from a sterile grocery store, or from the fields.

-dave

Edited by Phonedave
I am in the middle of moving to Jefferson. I am pretty sure my neighbors hunt in the park that abutts my back yard. I am setting up a tree stand to pick them off, or at least the game they flush into my yard. Geocachers are welcome and besides, the paitnballs won't really be lethal.

Anxiously awaiting my first bear encounter in my yard... and my wifes reaction.

Hey BMSquared... you should apply to join the JGS (Jefferson Geocaching Society)... Skully and Mulder, Treequest, Yeolwoodman, Tiffany's Slaves to name a few that you might know.

Are you going to give your brother your new address or just the 'tudes?