Your Pic As Avatar

ADKcachers

Maybe it's a "persona" that the avatar portrays on the website.

A character in a larger story, and piece in a puzzle.

Or maybe....it's just a picture...I dunno. ;)

I think of it as an expression of likes, dislikes, hobbies, interests etc. I often use anime women since I like anime. I obviously don't look like them since nobody looks like an anime woman (I wish! ;)). But I think my current one is closest to my own look, although I don't have black hair. Not now at least.... And it really still looks little like me. Here it is since I might change it soon, which would confuse people when I do (sorry that it is showing so large):

28280_2600.JPG

Anyway, real photo or not, an avatar is an expression. It could be used for varying reasons. Nothing wrong with using a real photo. It means something to the person or they would not have used it. That could be vanity, it could be that they are particularly grounded in reality and express that with their own image (I use my own first name with last initial over "a made up screen name" because of that in a way), it could be that they just plain like the pic, or just that they hadn't thought of anything else yet. Or other varying reasons. All are good and fine. :D

And then at times people change them. I cycle through several quite a bit and add ones for various reasons. I usually have a reason for the change.

You, it's who you are. Your stuck with it. Some people are ok with that and use their own pic.

This is my theory. Most of us are frigging ugly. We use fake avitars to protect everone else. A few of us don't care and put up the real deal as an avitar. They are just as ugly as everone else but have gotten used to it. Some day people won't judge people by the color of their avitar but the content of their avitar. Or something like that. If we have to judge an avitar by content then let them all be on a par with Christmas Carleenp. Then again, others use an avitar to promote a book. Ad Space avitars. If someone paid me enough money I'd sell my avitar space and include a nice quote. They would get exposore, unless it's christmas.

After two years of using the outhouse, <insert wise cracks here> I made a decision to incorporate my own photo. If (after looking at my mug) you think its vanity, then maybe I'm better looking than I suspected. :D

Actually, an avatar is an integral part of one's persona; people learn to identify with it. In my case, because of my propensity for making myself misunderstood, I decided that maybe it would soften my remarks somewhat if people could see my real human face (I think we sometimes forget that there is an actual human behind each of the posts in a forum).

You know; it's kind of like using a smiley emoticon to help illustrate your remarks.

BTW, “tanks” for asking. :laughing:

I don't think it really matters what you use. It can stay the same or it can change. I don't see it as vanity to use a rl photo any more than I see it as making someone more "cool" to have a non-rl avatar. For many years on gaming boards I used an avatar that came from the movie Wizards. The good wizard in the movie was named Avatar and I figured it fit. :laughing: Heck, maybe I'll use it here - never can tell.

Pic of the wizard Avatar:

thrak-avatar.jpg

After two years of using the outhouse, <insert wise cracks here> I made a decision to incorporate my own photo.  If (after looking at my mug) you think its vanity, then maybe I'm better looking than I suspected.  :D

Actually, an avatar is an integral part of one's persona; people learn to identify with it.  In my case, because of my propensity for making myself misunderstood, I decided that maybe it would soften my remarks somewhat if people could see my real human face (I think we sometimes forget that there is an actual human behind each of the posts in a forum).

You know; it's kind of like using a smiley emoticon to help illustrate your remarks.

BTW, “tanks” for asking.  :laughing:

Thanks for putting yourself on the limb with an avatar of yourself. :D

People have photos of themselves in their profile pages, and I don't see much difference between that and self-portraits on avatars.

I agree that seeing faces can alleviate misunderstandings. :D

As for my avatar, don't stand there and stare too long at the Budd RDC - getting hit by a train isn't fun. :D

Edited by budd-rdc
We need to start a kilt thread!!!

You start it; I'll respond. I've never worn one, but I know that kilting is in my stars! We real men don't need no stinkin' shorts. :o

(Just to keep on topic) nice avatar, Doc. B)

Oh, and nice avatar, Crim; that one makes you look like a pirate! B):grin:

Edited by sept1c_tank

Abso-friggin'-lootly! I mean, I'm a fem, so don't think they make kilts for my kind (they call them something else, but I rarely wear them so don't remember), but can I observe the kilt forum? Especially if photos are encouraged?

dadgum, not only do both Dr. and Criminal have dadgum fine gams, but I sure as hell didn't know that kilts were made/manufactured in a fabric other than plaid. Camo? Awesome!

Oh, and just to stay on topic - as sept1c so succinctly phrased it - my avatar is what I aspire to. For those who have been living in a cave since 1996, that is Lara Croft, THE Tomb Raider. The original Geocacher (well, next to Indiana Jones, but I KNOW they didn't have GPSrs during the first two WW's) and my (however fictional) heroine.

No, I don't look a thing like her... well, exept maybe for the red hair, and the large chest and the backpack. Yeah, the backpack!

Your Pic As Avatar, Do you think that you're so attractive?

I've noticed that many cachers use their picture as part of their avatar. Is it vanity? Is it the ultimate expression of identity?

Isn't there a thread or two asking why people use made up user names / pictures?

For whatever reason most people seem to not use their real name and photo, but as has been said, a few just don't care.

I don't always use my own picture, but this thread was started when I was using this picture as my avatar:

39219_6000.jpg

My current avatar is a picture that was taken about 5 years ago when I was 30 pounds heavier and beardless. The pipe was pretty cool, though.

When I first started posting here I never dreamed of using my own picture in my avatar. Since getting to know some of these people in person, I think it's kind of nice to have a sense of who's who from time-to-time, though the standard goofy avatar images are fun too.

All-in-all, I like it when the picture is a glimpse into the person's psyche and not just some random weirdness they found on an avatar page some place.

Bret

I think RKnight is pretty much on target.

That is why I am currently using a photo of one of a semiurban deer family I have been photographing that exists in a watershed near the SF Peninsula.

He ( or she ) is pretty darn cute and very brave. B)

What I see is that only a few use their own pic...

Not vanity..just showing my other true love...scuba diving. As it says At 300' even I have a pretty face. Think nitrogen narcosis. Fellow divers will understand it. But I think it's good to have a real photo because you can identify fellow cachers out on the trails and not mistake them as muggles. How many times have you been involved in a stand off near a cache not knowing the person on the other side of the light pole from you is a fellow cacher waiting for you to leave?

Edited by cudlecub

Abso-friggin'-lootly! I mean, I'm a fem, so don't think they make kilts for my kind (they call them something else, but I rarely wear them so don't remember), but can I observe the kilt forum? Especially if photos are encouraged?

dadgum, not only do both Dr. and Criminal have dadgum fine gams, but I sure as hell didn't know that kilts were made/manufactured in a fabric other than plaid. Camo? Awesome!

Hey, one of the original geobabes!

Yes, women can wear kilts, and no kilts are not the same as skirts.

And Crim, wait a few weeks before starting that thread, so I can add a few pics of my own! :huh:

Kilt #1 isn't even here yet and I'm already looking at #2.

Hey, one of the original geobabes!

Yes, women can wear kilts, and no kilts are not the same as skirts.

And Crim, wait a few weeks before starting that thread, so I can add a few pics of my own! :huh:

Kilt #1 isn't even here yet and I'm already looking at #2.

OK Mo, but it's getting very popular so you better hurry:

29bafaab-306a-49e9-add8-63fba400ec02.jpg