2006 Midwest Geobash

Bjorn74

We've already got our vacation planned for this event. Knowing the location, It'll be bigger, better, and badder than this years event. Pretty tough to top Scook's Cincinnati Chili, Kilted Cacher's bagpipe playing at dusk, and all the effort that went into the days presentations. I also have never seen a pot luck spread like the one on Saturday. We wouldn't miss this one for anything.

We've re-launched the web site in preparation for really gearing up to July. Seems early, but Christmas will be here and gone before you know it and whala - then comes JULY. Right? It'll seem like it, trust me.

So everyone start getting ready for the wildest week of geocaching fun. Start asking for time off (I have my week in already) and save up to send that non-caching SO on a cruise or something so you can come party your head off with hundreds of other cachers from all over the midwest, United States, and world.

http://www.midwestgeobash.org

Only 32 people watching after the cache page has been up for 5 days? I'd have figured we'd have 50 watching by now.

Last year's page had 123 watchers at it's pinnacle, by the way. If this indicates anything, we're about 1/4 of the way to last year's attendence already. Spread the word and visit the forums at the event web site.

For anyone looking out for too many email alerts, my tip is to sign off about a week before. That's when all the bug drop posts begin, even though it's also when the logs can become a bit more interesting, too.

Anyone willing to plan a Bill & Gary run for 'out of town cachers' who don't know better?

We will hopefully have it done by then. The cooler weather of spring makes B&G so much easier! I could be around to laugh...eerrrg...aaggh "guide" the newbs! :mad:

I'm in the process of collecting the best cachers the Ft Wayne area has to offer to take on B&G. My only fear is what kind of ideas they get and use against us. :(

Wulf

Hmmmmm .... I really want to make the whole scene this time. ... cruising in at 5AM after an all-nighter on the job and then cruising back out a few hours later to get back to Indy just didn't cut it the last time. .... hmmmmmm ... I think I'm still allowed in Michigan, have to check with my parole officer.

Edited by Torry
Hmmmmm .... I really want to make the whole scene this time. ... cruising in at 5AM after an all-nighter on the job and then cruising back out a few hours later to get back to Indy just didn't cut it the last time. .... hmmmmmm ... I think I'm still allowed in Michigan, have to check with my parole officer.

If you dress up like a penguin and get into the middle of the migration, you'll never be noticed!

Updated the event page and site with some stats foo.

Reminder to please RSVP even if you're not camping as we'll be using the RSVP data to arrange for free swag and plan for meal attendance.

What to bring... well. Camping stuff yes. Anything else you want besides :D Just keep an eye on the event page and anything you *need* will be posted there, but I don't think you'll need anything. You could even get by without bringing food if you want as we'll have concessions run by the 4H open during regular meal times monday through thursday and all day Friday and Saturday. In addition, we're working on evening meals - more to come on that.

Free coffee and donuts in the morning too. Might not be able to feed everyone this year, but the early bird gets the donut. So to speak.

Adult beverages are alllowed insofar as they do not impose on the family friendlyness of the event and those would be up to you to bring.

If you have a kiddie pool or something - bring that B) We'll have air conditioning, but the venue lacks water features so a wading pool will let you cool off. 24 hours a day. No tickets, we promise ;)

I was just going to say that :) lol.

Some pretty exciting stuff is in the works for this event. Hoping that anyone who is able will attend. It's called the "Midwest" geobash, but that's more about where it is than who we want to come ;) Love all y'all midwesterners, but this is an open invitation to the world to come enjoy this event!

We're into the build-up for the MWGB as we speak. There are some incredible things in store for everyone who makes it out for a day and even more for those who can last the whole week. The best way to get notices is to put a watch on the cache page. Remove it once the bug drops start, though. The second best way is by watching the MWGB forums at www.midwestgeobash.org. We will try to get announcements here as they happen, but it's much more likely that this area will get summary data as it accumulates.

A few things to remind folks of:

Please register on the MWGB web site. This is the list we will use to create the "goodie bags" as the event approaches. We will be making some fancy name badges for everyone who signs up. If you aren't registered, which is free, you won't be on the list.

Electric sites are nearly gone. We will have some electricity at the two host camp areas, but not enough to run anything more than some lights and a stereo. If you want to plug in your camper, RV, or Richie Rich Inflatible Mansion, you'll need to hop on an Electric site ASAP.

We have not finalaized the Saturday Sessions yet. If you would like to participate or have a suggestion, send me a note and we'll see what we can do. This was one of the great parts last year. We hope to build up to exceed the high expectations set in 2005.

Big Update.

We have some big things happening in GeoBash-land this week.

To start, official 2006 Event Tshirts will be on sale in the next few hours (or so I'm told) as will the official Geocoin for the event. Groundspeak has graciously stepped up to sponsor the Tshirt this year. Images are linked off the front page at www.midwestgeobash.org .

The schedule is posted in as fluid a form as we can get it. Trippy will be otherwise occupied next week, so we won't see it change until he comes back. Post in the MWGB forums if you are planning something that you'd like others to participate in. There will be a couple of three changes to the session schedule on Saturday and we hope to be able to make a big announcement about programming specificly for children for Friday night. If you are making your travel plans with youngsters, make room for a big-time event thingy.

Hopefully I'll have more tomorrow.

Don't forget to RSVP on the GeoBash page so we have a nametag for everyone in your clan.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Countdown Begins

With 3-2-1 Penguins!

We have received word today that Big Idea is allowing us to show several Veggietales andf 3-2-1 Penguins movies at the 2006 Midwest GeoBash! This will help us provide some entertainment for the younger crowd, although I suspect that we will provide some laughs for the older folks too.

Our Schedule will begin with :

3-2-1 Penguins - The Doom Funnel Rescue!

and

Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Samson's Hairbrush

Both will show Friday night, July 7th. Time TBA.

Some might remember that Minnesota Cuke has an Easter Egg hidden that is a video of the Veggietales production crew doing some geocaching! The Doom Funnel Rescue has a hidden surprise that will take most of us older folks off guard.

At this point, we are hoping to have some drinks and popcorn available for the activity. Nothing is set in stone, though.

We hope to put together some more videos to show earlier in the week. The schedule will be announced closer to the event. Watch the MWGB Forums for updates.

We have worked for several months to put this together. We hope you get a chance to enjoy the videos with us.

Edited by Bjorn74

Hmmm... Perhaps I missed it, but I looked all through the web page and these postings and nowhere could I find the location for this evert. From the Hotel listings I assume it's in Michigan somewhere.

The coordinates are on the web page and the first bullet says, "This year's GeoBash is graciously hosted by the Michigan Geocaching Organization (MiGO) in Davisburg, MI."

Here's a Google Map though: http://www.midwestgeobash.org/stats.php

This may be premature, but my family is relatively new to caching still and are just learning about events like this. We'd like to be able to plan to attend this event next year and I was wondering when you start planning for it. I guess what I mean is, is this an annual 4th of july week event? Also do you always use the same site/city? Sorry if these questions have been asked/answered before we've been to small events and really enjoy them. Next year our daughter will be 1 & 1/2 by spring and camping might be a bit easier so we look forward to events like these! Thanks for any info!

This is only the second Midwest Geobash and the first happened on a fluke. Ask Bjorn about the fluke because it's pretty humorous.

Anyway, the first MWGB was in Ohio and this year's in Davisburg, MI. I would put my money on a different venue. It would get old if it was just the same thing over and over again, so moving it seems the best idea to me.

As for when the planning begins, who knows. But if you have some ideas, send them to Bjorn or trippy, they are always open to new ideas.

We'd like to be able to plan to attend this event next year and I was wondering when you start planning for it. I guess what I mean is, is this an annual 4th of july week event?

This is the best I can answer right now. We will be trying to get a venue more toward Chicago next year. We will be looking for another fairgrounds but without a significant sponsor picking up some of the tab it won't be a few of the places we've looked into already. We are aiming for a week(end) in July that is not inclusive of Independence Day but may consider a date in August.

It's a lot of IFs, but we'll know in a few months and we'll let everyone know.

See you next year!

Oh, and don't forget the hotel options. Camping isn't "required" but it is encouraged for those who want the full experience. It's sort of the opposite of getting the spa package on a 7-Day cruise.

in the "between time" from the 2006 event to the 2007 event, you can keep up to date on what's happening at

http://www.midwestgeobash.org

There's a link there to sign up for our newsletter which we will send out... someday :laughing:

Next year's venue is going to depend largely on finding a place that can host the size of event we expect in 2007 and within our fairly limited budget.

We're now taking applications for our "Double Secret Platinum" level $1 million sponsors if anyone is interested :laughing:

We just got home from bashing...I hope everyone gets a good nap! I know I need one after picking up wobbly pop cans and whirlygigs! It was great to see everyone...AREA51 was fun, the later the better. I'm glad to have gotten to spend some more time with cachers I knew of but didn't KNOW. I almost even enjoyed hanging out with umc [:laughing:]. BWR bluegrass rocks! I enjoyed cards and dinner with Eric and Raine and the NWOGEO crew. Way to go MiGOers+Bjorn!!! Thanks for electing windmill alley "most explosive"!!!

-Mrs. BBD