Photos Required

The site really seems to be taking off now. I just checked and had several new submissions to approve. Unfortunatley I'm learning quickly that a lot of folks aren't following the instructions that I set up. The biggest issue I'm having is that folks aren't adding the required photos to the gallery.

On the positive side I love the fact that I can quickly reject the submissions and that the finder can easily resubmit them. However, it would be nice if there were an option I could enable that would require the photo to be added prior to the finder submitting it.

Any way to get that on the to do list?

Thanks,

Dave

Honestly I doubt that it would be a high priority item to add, considering all of the other big ticket items. You may want to update your new waymark requirements so that it is very clear you require a photo. However keep in mind that many people do not have digital cameras.

You may want to update your new waymark requirements so that it is very clear you require a photo.

I carried the rules over from the old Locationless caches and have verified that they do show up clearly. I think the problem is that when browsing through the directory the users don't neccessarily have to go to the "more detail" page. As a result they don't see the posting requirements.

I know I mentioned this somewhere, but I can't find it.

What I'd like to see is a way for a waymark creator to add additional logging requirements, so that when you log your visit on the waymark, the category's logging requirements show AND any additional requirements for this specific waymark show as well.

If the category owner didn't like the additional requirements, they could work that out with the waymark creator during the acceptance process.

--Marky

You may want to update your new waymark requirements so that it is very clear you require a photo.

I carried the rules over from the old Locationless caches and have verified that they do show up clearly. I think the problem is that when browsing through the directory the users don't neccessarily have to go to the "more detail" page. As a result they don't see the posting requirements.

There's a section on the category edit page that says this:

Please list any specific requirements for posting a new waymark in this category (optional; these instructions will be displayed on the waymark entry page):

They are listed at the top of the new waymark page.

What I'd like to see is a way for a waymark creator to add additional logging requirements, so that when you log your visit on the waymark, the category's logging requirements show AND any additional requirements for this specific waymark show as well.

Earthcaches do this. They have an additional textbox field that says:

How do people log this Earthcache?

And the waymark owner can enter text to describe logging requirements.

So was the purpose to create the Waymarking to move the locationless caches over to another type of system or to create a new type of gps use identifying neat locations for others to visit? The restrictions that have been placed on this particular one alone (president birthplaces) is just as restictive as the original without the benifit of a count change in the GC stats... To what end? And until it gets kicked back, i didnt know that i dont have all of the required pictures to post....

There's a section on the category edit page that says this:

Please list any specific requirements for posting a new waymark in this category (optional; these instructions will be displayed on the waymark entry page):

They are listed at the top of the new waymark page.

OK I see them. I already had my requirements posted and they do show up on the add page, although looks like my formatting is off. I guess HTML characters aren't supported so I'll adjust that.

So was the purpose to create the Waymarking to move the locationless caches over to another type of system or to create a new type of gps use identifying neat locations for others to visit?

Both. They aren't mutually exclusive.

The restrictions that have been placed on this particular one alone (president birthplaces) is just as restictive as the original without the benifit of a count change in the GC stats...  To what end?

The idea that it is an actual solution for locationless caches, not forcing a square peg in a round hole.

In my top-level summary for at least one of my waymark categories, I'll be adding a sentence that says "See below for detailed waymark creation requirements." This will hopefully remind casual browsers to read the description BEFORE going out into the field to get coordinates. I observed in another forum thread that people were quoting my summary description and overlooking the detail, and then saying that my description was too vague.

We threw out some rapid fire ideas and I think we figured out an elegant solution for the photo requirement.

We'll be adding a new waymark variable called "Display image" which will have an "optional" checkbox. If you uncheck it for a waymark category it will require the submission to have an image uploaded on the waymark creation page. It will also be very obvious for someone submitting a new waymark that the photo is required.

The waymark variable will double as a way to display an image on the waymark page. After the waymark is submitted, the waymark owner can select other images from a dropdown box to display for the waymark, including the images uploaded by those who logged the waymark.

We threw out some rapid fire ideas and I think we figured out an elegant solution for the photo requirement.

I like it. I like it a lot. Will this be something that can be utilized for both the waymark creating AND the visit log?

--Marky

That would be a different concept but I can see how that would be good to do. I'll add that as a feature request but I'm going to give it a low priority since the waymark creation process is more important at the moment. Good idea! The Jeep contest entry page does this sort of thing now.

We'll be adding a new waymark variable called "Display image" which will have an "optional" checkbox. If you uncheck it for a waymark category it will require the submission to have an image uploaded on the waymark creation page. It will also be very obvious for someone submitting a new waymark that the photo is required.

The waymark variable will double as a way to display an image on the waymark page. After the waymark is submitted, the waymark owner can select other images from a dropdown box to display for the waymark, including the images uploaded by those who logged the waymark.

That sounds perfect. Thanks Jeremy!

Dave

I would never ever require a photo with you in it because I know how impossible that can be when you are in the middle of nowhere by yourself. I'll risk a few armchair logs rather than make it a game that cannot be played by everyone. It sorta hurts my felings that some category managers would choose to exclude me by requiring a photo with me in it.

1. I really like the ideas Jeremy summarized! Thanks!

2. I sympathize with mikemtn, as I often go out and about on my own. Therefore my categories say to post a photo with EITHER you or a member of your group in the photo, OR your GPS in the photo (the classic "hold one arm with the GPS" shot). This is also helpful for those who don't want their likeness posted, for privacy reasons.