Maybe An Example Would Help

As a rule, I like it when things change. I enjoy learning, and am annoyed when people complain about evolving processes.

That being said, I’m trying to embrace Waymarking. But I can’t seem to make it “work” for my style of searching. I suspect I’m missing something, so with that in mind, I’m proposing a scenario for which somebody can hopefully supply a working example using the new site.

I’ll start off by saying that I currently rely on Pocket Queries, which don’t appear to be currently implemented in Waymarking.com. I’ll assume that something akin to PQs will be implemented at some point, and that GSAK and/or other tools will accommodate them. So for the sake of my example I’ll leave things in terms of manual searching and hard-copy listings.

In today’s world (i.e.: using geocaching.com), I find myself heading to a new area, wanting to find all the “interesting” caches in that area. So I can enter coordinates and a radius and get all caches that fall therein. From there I can ignore anything that immediately looks uninteresting and start exploring those things that do look interesting. I can then print them out and go caching.

In the world of Waymarking.com, it appears that I need to start with a ZIP code, rather than coordinates. That’s fine if I’m in an urban area, but doesn’t help if I’m in a remote area. A ZIP code could be awfully imprecise in sparsely populated areas, and makes it difficult to zero in on natural or man-made features that I’d like to target.

But let’s say that I can adequately center on my area of interest. I’d like to see everything “interesting” starting at my center point and working outwards. I’m not looking for anything in particular, such as bars, landlocked lighthouses, swamps, rendering plants, or anything else. I just want to see what’s closest so I can figure out what I want to explore without driving all over creation. It appears to me that, once I’ve selected my area of interest, Waymarking.com will present me with a list of categories, and from there I have to browse each of those to see proximity.

I have explored the site but am quite willing to believe that I’ve missed something. If somebody can offer some steps to give me what I want – start with a point and show me what’s interesting based on distance, regardless of category – I’ll feel more warm and fuzzy about this whole new world.

TIA!!!

Edited to change "densely" to "sparsely"

Edited by tls11823

I don't have all the answers... and I've just recently been browsing the site myself. But you can enter coords as an "origin" (see it under the "My Origins" section of the "My Page" page). It may not be the most eligent way to do it but you can create an origin with the coords of the area you are interested in and use that in your searching.

However, the rest of your senario seems to still remain true. The waymarks are listed by category rather than all together by proximity to the origin. Perhaps this is something being worked on. It is also something I'm struggling to get past as I make an attempt to find the usefulness of this new site. I'm not there just yet.

Edited by mini cacher

Thanks, mini. I did miss the ability to add coordinates. It would be nice to have something a bit more on-the-fly for one-time searches, but this will get the job done.

Now if somebody can address my other concern I'll be fat, dumb, and happy (instead of just fat and dumb).

Let me clarify one statement. You can actually get a list of waymarks centered around your origin.. but only once you have decided if you want "people", "places" or "things".

Again its not the most elegent way to do it but....

After you have entered a main category (people, places, or things), rather than turning on the location filter with your origin, you can use the very simliar looking search feature just above it using an origin. This will produce a list of all waymarks in that main category centered around your origin. This list will be limited to 10 miles, allowing you to broden it to 50 or 100 miles. The problem then is, you get everything regardless of if it interestes you or not. I see no way to filter your search. I doubt there is an easy way to program it any other way. So depending on where your origin is, your first page might be a bunch of Starbucks and McDs before you get to that cool monument and bridge

Edited by mini cacher
Thanks, mini.  I did miss the ability to add coordinates.  It would be nice to have something a bit more on-the-fly for one-time searches, but this will get the job done.

and you can also click on the "Advanced Search" to get to a form that allows several different types of search... includeing just entering coords one time.

Edited by mini cacher