Taking Pictures Of Cachers...

Lone Monkey

Imagine you are on your way to a cache.

You round the corner on a trail, and the next thing you know... *CLICK* :o

a box on a tree just took your picture! :blink:

This happened to me a while ago when I was out at dusk around the fall season. It turns out that some hunters use these to scout out deer trails. Do you think that someone would drop some hard-earned cash on one of THESE to take pictures of cachers? I was curious if someone has done something like this before? What are your thoughts?

-LM :o

EDIT - Spelling

Edited by Lone Monkey

Apparently it doesn't bother them so much. One of the cachers in our area uses them to figure out what kind of deer are on his trails so he'll be ready for hunting season.

He says they may get spooked but he can't tell because he keeps getting pictures of the same ones night after night. And they're just hanging around, not running away. The one he uses even has a flash.

I have and use frequently two stealthcams. Never on a cache though (They range from 50 to 600 dollars). I've have a bunch of pics of hunters walking within feet of them and they have no idea. They funny thing is that the cameras are ALWAYS on posted land where nobody has permission to hunt. Two of them got mauled by bear, one was TOTALLY destroyed and another just shows some battle scars. I've been told that for some reason they are attracted to the scent of 35MM film.

When I saw these things in the various catalogs I get, I thought it would be cool to set up a cache with one. The cost, however, is still too high for my wallet. If I ever did set up a cache like this, I would be sure to either explicitly state that it was a webcam type cache, or hint at it. I could image some people would be upset that they were photogrpahed when they weren't expecting it.