Money Making Suggestion For Gc.com

pdxmarathonman

Over in the travel bug section it has recently become known that new geocoins can be made trackable on this site. And for a fee these coins can have their own unique icon that shows up on the User Stats page. Many cachers are buying coins being minted by groups and individuals. A lot of the prospective buyers are indicating that they'd buy more of the coins if the coin has its own icon. Fewer if not.

So, my suggestion to Groundspeak:

Rather than limiting the icons to the coins, simply sell the icons directly to the cachers. There is a huge demand for icons on the stats pages. It seems that the coins are a secondary nuisance. So, cut out the middleman! Sell the icon for about $3 each. Just have a page with many selections of icons, click the icon and a paypal page will send the money to gc.com and voila!, the icon appears on the page. Everybody is happy! And we save all the trouble of designing, minting and mailing all those coins! Maybe even set it up so that one could even buy activation codes for icons so that they could be left in caches for other cachers.

(should this be in the geocaching.com forum?)

Do you think the icon fever will go down whenever Jeremy et al. get a chance to reorangize the stats icons, into some sort of menu submenu thing?? (thus ending the 40 icons stacked up on each other problem?)

(should this be in the geocaching.com forum?)

Do you think the icon fever will go down whenever Jeremy et al. get a chance to reorangize the stats icons, into some sort of menu submenu thing?? (thus ending the 40 icons stacked up on each other problem?)

I was just getting ready to move it. :blink:

Yeah, this is a Geocaching.com specific question rather than one about the game itself. I'm moving it to the Geocaching.com forum so it can be addressed there.

Bret

Doubtful... I know I'm hoping they add more icon for different cache types even if it means people have to have their current cache icons changed to something else.

(i.e. trad/multi/mystery night caches changed to the night cache icon or Canoe, boat, scuba changed to the hydro-cache icon, etc but then again, I'm an icon whore... still missing the ape...)

Doubtful... I know I'm hoping they add more icon for different cache types even if it means people have to have their current cache icons changed to something else.

(i.e. trad/multi/mystery night caches changed to the night cache icon or Canoe, boat, scuba changed to the hydro-cache icon, etc but then again, I'm an icon whore... still missing the ape...)

I didn't want to use the "w" word, but it seems that the frenzy is picking up. Hopefully reaching a peak.

Thanks for the proper classification CYB.

I think you should create a new category of cache called the Icon cache. Each gives you a cute little icon like Pokemon. Gotta cache them all...

For an additional fee you can sell a super premium membership and have limited edition icons. Then you can charge for an event and have special Icons for the event only caches.

If your posts in the forums are angsty all your icons could convert to dark side icons, and if your poses are light and fluffy and full of love you can get light side icons...

The potential is enormous!

I'm a bit weary on the Geocoin icons, since up until recently, most of the icons were the same 23.gif and cluttered up the profile page without real variety or aesthetics.

In order to make the experience tangible, I propose color-coded Travel Bug icons for additional fees. It shouldn't cost too much more to have them anodized in matched colors. Kind of like the Yellow and White Jeeps, except you can own them.

I'm also waiting for a sequel to the Project APE type marketing promotion, so we can go hunt for a themed cache with a unique icon.

I'm a bit weary on the Geocoin icons, since up until recently, most of the icons were the same 23.gif and cluttered up the profile page without real variety or aesthetics.

In order to make the experience tangible, I propose color-coded Travel Bug icons for additional fees. It shouldn't cost too much more to have them anodized in matched colors. Kind of like the Yellow and White Jeeps, except you can own them.

From what I've read on the forums, the reason most people weren't getting different icons on the coins was the $150 one time fee Groundspeak was charging... To my knowledge, Maryland mdcoin.gif was the first group to pay that and have their own icon. NY is supposed to also have it's own icon. NYIcon.jpg

I'm sure in the future, other groups will do it. It remains to be seen if older coins will get new icons at some point.

From what I've read on the forums, the reason most people weren't getting different icons on the coins was the $150 one time fee Groundspeak was charging...

For the life of me I can't understand why that is. If you can afford putting up $1500 to get tracking numbers another $150 shouldn't be that big of a deal.

For the life of me I can't understand why that is. If you can afford putting up $1500 to get tracking numbers another $150 shouldn't be that big of a deal.

To me, your comment answered the question. If people are already spending $1500 on tracking numbers, why should they have to pay another $150 for an icon. They feel it's squeezing blood from a stone. I see both sides...

To me, your comment answered the question. If people are already spending $1500 on tracking numbers, why should they have to pay another $150 for an icon. They feel it's squeezing blood from a stone. I see both sides...

$1.50 per coin -vs- $1.65 per coin. ;)

From what I've read on the forums, the reason most people weren't getting different icons on the coins was the $150 one time fee Groundspeak was charging...

The option wasn't available until recently.

I was glad when they started selling "found it" logs in the "sams sized" 2K blocks. I haven't actually been caching in over three years. All that hunting is a secondary nuisance (those pill bottles and ammo boxes are hard to open and they're often dirty and in icky places) so I was glad when they cut out the middle man.

I was glad when they started selling "found it" logs in the "sams sized" 2K blocks. I haven't actually been caching in over three years. All that hunting is a secondary nuisance (those pill bottles and ammo boxes are hard to open and they're often dirty and in icky places) so I was glad when they cut out the middle man.

Now we're getting somewhere. This is exactly where the game needs to go. This, combined with the above-mentioned personal icons is going to revolutionize the game!

Beautiful idea.

I think every cacher should be able to have a personal icon. Then if you meet them you can claim a meet-n-greet. Every cacher could pay $100 to set up their icon $300 if Groundspeak designs it for you.

I know this may have been posted in humor, but you know somebody will try to run with this idea.

I, too, love the icons. Right now I am keeping up except for an APES, CITO, and an OHIO Geocoin, but give me time and I'll have those too.

Wow, making trackable geocoins is expensive. Now I understand why most people unique geocoins aren't trackable, but still if I had the money I'd make it trackable. Don't wanna just a have a coin that's a collectors item. I want it to be moved all over the world just a like a travel bug. And the extra $150 I'd pay to have a personel icon!