Dumber Than A Box Of Rocks?

During this phase of the Waymarking website new categories are not being accepted. This is so the servers aren't stressed too much. See this topic which is pinned at the top of the "Waymarking Category Proposals" forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=105848

If you want to join in on the convo on how this process will work see this topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=105704

Hope that helps,

Robbie

-Team Robrad

Edited by Team Robrad
All I really started out to do was create a waymark for a Nat'l park here in the area. The parks category says that waymarks cannot be created by users, and there are only 2 subs currently available, neither of which fit the waymark.

This will happen a lot for the first part of Waymarking. For now you will not be able to log the park unless it fits into another sub category somewhere. Once the category proposal system is set up you can propose National parks for a category...if it is approved you are set.

For now we just all have to log what we can and sit tight.

-Robbie

Team Robrad

During this phase of the Waymarking website new categories are not being accepted. This is so the servers aren't stressed too much. See this topic which is pinned at the top of the "Waymarking Category Proposals" forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=105848

It's not a server stressing problem. The site has been tested with over 4 million waymarks in the database. The issue is how to determine the best way to create and manage a new category. It is important to plan for this before launching a large number of categories, so it is less a technical issue than a procedural (or social) one.

It's not a server stressing problem. The site has been tested with over 4 million waymarks in the database. The issue is how to determine the best way to create and manage a new category. It is important to plan for this before launching a large number of categories, so it is less a technical issue than a procedural (or social) one.

Gotcha, thanks for setting my straight! :blink:

Jeremy

I Thank You for the reply, I guess the vernacular has me somewhat confused. I did not want to start (what I call) a category, I merely wanted to post a waymark. When that was not possible under the two existing (what I call) sub-categories, I thought I would try to do that. If what I have learned from this is correct, a Nat'l Park sub-category is actually a category all to itself. If this is the case then it would be required to go through the entire process, proposal, discussion, approval.

If this is correct then I have learned a valuable lesson about this new feature of GC. However this now begs the question "shouldn't National Parks be automatically be listed?", not just the ones that will stamp your NPS pass. I know you are no doubt overwhelmed with the enormity of this project and the response it has garnered, just let me state for the record GREAT IDEA and GREAT JOB!

I did not want to start (what I call) a category, I merely wanted to post a waymark. When that was not possible under the two existing (what I call) sub-categories, I thought I would try to do that. If what I have learned from this is correct, a Nat'l Park sub-category is actually a category all to itself. If this is the case then it would be required to go through the entire process, proposal, discussion, approval.

Aha! Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I think one of the big issues for now is that there aren't a lot of waymark categories to choose from. We're trying to rectify that as soon as we can!

However this now begs the question "shouldn't National Parks be automatically be listed?", not just the ones that will stamp your NPS pass.

I think for the passport cancellations (my category in fact), all national parks should have stations for stamping your passports. But parks themselves could also be their own category. It just has to be submitted through the process which is admittedly still being worked on.

I know you are no doubt overwhelmed with the enormity of this project and the response it has garnered, just let me state for the record GREAT IDEA and GREAT JOB!

I think for a lot of folks it will take a while to get used to the idea of Waymarking. It wasn't exactly what people expected though I'm not exactly sure what exactly was expected. It has been fun to see people logging and marking locations however. I hope many of you are having fun with it.