Why Can't Fellow Cachers.........

srt4guy

Well after 829 previous caches I have to assume they know one or two things. And they did state that they "assumed the bearing was magnetic".

Since they've been to your cache, perhaps you should contact them for their input on how to make sure people don't trespass.

It wouldn't hurt, More 'misunderstandings' will.

Criminal, we know exactly what you mean. My Mom and I placed The John Index with Elvis Stuff. Ton's of Geo Woodstockers that logged it and almost none of them did it correctly.

We could have deleted all their posts, we could have emailed them the questions and asked them to edit their logs, but we just choose not to bother.

They enjoyed the find, we enjoyed their logs. Life's too short to sweat the petty.

human nature to do things in our own way.

angsty

Funny, Ive never seen this word used so much, by so many people on the same site,

or any other site for that matter.

My first memory of this was the "teenage angst" useage long ago. Is everone lacking a Thesaurus ?

Well, most people followed the simple instructions for logging this cache, but many have not.  I'm not getting bent out of shape over it.

We sure did. The boys want to go back and do it again. They've got some more creative stuff to add.

Our Fun

Hey, I did that one too. My log. As a matter of fact...

I believe that was the only time I have ever followed cache page instructions. I make all my cache finds without a gps, cache page, car, bicycle or any other aids... and I only go at night time... and I always find no less than 15 caches per day.

Ever since Criminal made me lie in public I haven't been able to stop. Do NOT follow cache page instructions what ever you do. And don't go near the Tall Tales cache.

- - -

Let's see... How can I make this on-topic? Well, most of my mistakes or unnecessary time spent looking for caches is when I don't read the cache page fully. No bid deal, I think to myself. But when someone whines at one of my caches it is often because they didn't read the simple instructions on my cache page (and all my cache page instructions are simple). And then I think, boy what a dummy, can't they read? It doesn't seem so dumb when I do it though.

Why can't fellow cachers.."follow simple directions? and follow the rules?"

Sometimes when we write something it is crystal clear to us but cryptic to others. One of my favorite hints was: "at the base of a birch tree", for a cache that was in a dense forest of birch trees.

I checked the listing that prompted this and it did say you should use a compass and gave the bearing, but the hider didn't say that they had used "true", not magnetic. Most simple compasses obviously point to magnetic north and you can only mathmatically correct for declination, which in the area of the cache, is about +15 degrees. The second finder, who I know to be an expert bushwhacker and real mountain climber, assumed and used magnetic and found the direction to be 15 degrees off from his reading. He gave the reading he found specifically and correctly.

There is still some confussion about whether ALL parts of the cache are public even though the entry point may well be. It would probably help if the listing was reworded to clear up some of the points in question. I'd rather give too much information than too little, unless the lack of information is one of the elements in a puzzle cache.

human nature to do things in our own way.

angsty

Funny, Ive never seen this word used so much, by so many people on the same site,

or any other site for that matter.

My first memory of this was the "teenage angst" useage long ago. Is everone lacking a Thesaurus ?

At this point its reached the 'Running Joke' stage. Heck, I think it may even be beyond that stage, and getting close to 'Cliche'. :blink:

follow simple directions? and follow the rules?

I have a cache where the idea is for it to have only one, very nice item inside. I ask that you mention what you found in the cache in your log, but not what you left and that there always be only one item inside. Kind of a grab bag cache. I also have a laminated copy of the instructions inside the container for those who don't have the cache page along.

I've had to go back several times to remove stuff from people who "took nothing and left xxx,bbb and yyyy" and about half the people who took the item inside didn't mention what it was in their log. Go figure.

Well dang it, how do you expect me to follow the rules when you won't even tell me what they are??? :blink:

Rule #1: There are no rules.

Rule #2: You may not ask, under any circumstances, what the rules are or what they mean.

Rule #3: All rules are actually 'guidelines'

Rule #4: The cache owner makes up the rules.

Rule #5: My dad can beat up your dad.

Rule #6: If you object to any of these rules, see Rule #1, #2 & #3

Rule #7: Thirty days has Septober, April, June and NoWonder, all the rest have peanut butter, except for my old mother. She's got a red tricycle. But I took it, now it's MINE!

Rule #8: Failure to comply with Rule #2 will result in Cthulhu rousing from his dead but dreaming slumber, rising up from the city of R'lyeh in the depths of the sea, and driving you insane before he eats your brain.

Rule #9: Failure to comply with all these rules will result in the Rule 8 penalty applied to you and to everyone you know.

Rule #10: If you don't like my list of rules make up your own. However, see Rule #5.

I hope this clears up your confusion

Edited by CompassCollector

Sometimes when we write something it is crystal clear to us but cryptic to others. One of my favorite hints was: "at the base of a birch tree", for a cache that was in a dense forest of birch trees.

Heh, we did this one. The hint was "rock pile", and the area was about half a football field of river rocks. :blink: AND the coords were off by 25 ft. :o:o

Yeah I had some disquietude about that one. (See, I have a thesaurus!)

Edited by Old Bill

wow this got way out of hand very fast. the original post was about following directions, as in "put cache back exactly as found" the in the log the finder states "placed cache on top of rock so as easier to see" am i wrong to be miffid about that? or in the log the finder states that he told a muggle exactly what he was doing, showed her the cache , draged it back to her let her kid pick out a toy, so now she can tell whoever where it is. i'm putting my money on this one dissapearing.i thought that we were not supposed to show muggles where the stuff is? maybe i'm wrong but if my caches start to dissapear i'm unhappy

wow this got way out of hand very fast. the original post was about following directions, as in "put cache back exactly as found" the in the log the finder states "placed cache on top of rock so as easier to see" am i wrong to be miffid about that? or in the log the finder states that he told a muggle exactly what he was doing, showed her the cache , draged it back to her let her kid pick out a toy, so now she can tell whoever where it is. i'm putting my money on this one dissapearing.i thought that we were not supposed to show muggles where the stuff is? maybe i'm wrong but if my caches start to dissapear i'm unhappy

Oh Oh, Do I see some rules in this??

Or attempt at rules?

Oh well

;):D;)

Edited by Byron & Anne
wow this got way out of hand very fast. the original post was about following directions, as in "put cache back exactly as found" the in the log the finder states "placed cache on top of rock so as easier to see" am i wrong to be miffid about that? ...

Hey, we will decide what the thread is about--got that? When you start off a thread with a vague and provocative question, you waive any right to complain about the direction it takes. ;)

Personally, I think Garmins suck. Hitler's mother wouldn't use a Garmin to hunt lame-a** urban micros. And what's with "waypointing?' Talk about lame--just the thing for touchy-feely, namby-pamby educated welfare-loving liberals.

And the hurricane victims--why couldn't they just follow directions? It's their own dadgum fault for being born below sea level.

And guns! Anybody who doesn't like guns is a gutless European.

Hey all you trolls! This guy wants us to follow directions! :D Whaddyasay we teach him a lesson?

wow this got way out of hand very fast. the original post was about following directions, as in "put cache back exactly as found" the in the log the finder states "placed cache on top of rock so as easier to see" am i wrong to be miffid about that? ...

Hey, we will decide what the thread is about--got that? When you start off a thread with a vague and provocative question, you waive any right to complain about the direction it takes. ;)

Personally, I think Garmins suck. Hitler's mother wouldn't use a Garmin to hunt lame-a** urban micros. And what's with "waypointing?' Talk about lame--just the thing for touchy-feely, namby-pamby educated welfare-loving liberals.

And the hurricane victims--why couldn't they just follow directions? It's their own dadgum fault for being born below sea level.

And guns! Anybody who doesn't like guns is a gutless European.

Hey all you trolls! This guy wants us to follow directions! :D Whaddyasay we teach him a lesson?

If you start a church, I'll be your first disciple!!

Rocky's Rule #1 (Ahem...) Half of the people you meet every day are below average.

I think that about sums it up.

Without any (Ahem again...) Dread, terror, fear, trepidation, anxiety, malaise, distress, disquietude, solicitude, worry, anguish, agony, suffering, torment, grief, misery, sorrow, heartache, ruefullness or dolor.

What gets me is there is little effort to move travel bugs toward stated goals.

GeoForse

Guilty! (Well once anyway). Early in my caching career I had grabbed, logged and moved on several TBs. None had any stated goals attached and I was not aware that any did. Some did have tags saying that they "wanted to see how far they could travel" but that was all. Until one day with rain starting (I melt) I grabbed one, signed the cache log, and hightailed it back to the truck. When I got home a few days later and went to log the TB I saw that it had spicific goals which I was in no position to fulfill. The best I could do was log the grab, put it back in circulation as quickly as possible in a location similar to the stated goals and send an appology yo the owner. Needless to say I examine all TBs carefully before grabbing one now.

Despite all the silly and/or OT responses in this thread, it is a legit concern. I don't know whether its people who are clueless, or just who don't care.