Creating Cool Cache Pages?

fishfam

Are there any threads on how to create cool cache pages? I don't know how to add hit counters, html or flash but would like to be able to do some of that. Shoot, I only just figured out how to add attributes. :D

If for some reason there aren't any threads on this already, wanna start one? :D

Are there any threads on how to create cool cache pages? I don't know how to add hit counters, html or flash but would like to be able to do some of that. Shoot, I only just figured out how to add attributes.  :D

If for some reason there aren't any threads on this already, wanna start one?  :D

Thankfully, you can't add Flash, Shockwave, Java apps or Javascript.

Try getting a basic WYSIWYG html editor (there are plenty of freeware ones). Copy the source between (but not including) the <body> tags into the cache editor text box. Remember that links and images need to fully qualified, and images have to be hosted on the web, not your PC. JPGs can be uploaded to your account here. Other formats can be hosted at sites like ImageShack. Make sure you use a site that doesn't expire images.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I vote for not making cache pages too cute. We're all bombarded by whiz-bang web pages many times a day. When I'm researching caches, I never say, "wow that guy really put together a great-looking cache page." I'm looking for information - steak, not sizzle. And some of the "cool" things that people do degenerate into nonsense when exported to CacheMate or something else. Also, although I have broadband access at home, I sometimes log on with very slow dial-up access in hotel rooms. Your cool graphic is likely to get a reaction from me, but it won't be positive.

And let's not even open up the floor for discussion on music on cache pages...

I vote for not making cache pages too cute. We're all bombarded by whiz-bang web pages many times a day. When I'm researching caches, I never say, "wow that guy really put together a great-looking cache page." I'm looking for information - steak, not sizzle. And some of the "cool" things that people do degenerate into nonsense when exported to CacheMate or something else. Also, although I have broadband access at home, I sometimes log on with very slow dial-up access in hotel rooms. Your cool graphic is likely to get a reaction from me, but it won't be positive.

I DO look at the cache page as an extension of the owners personality.

I DO say "WOW, that guy really put together an interesting cache page!".

There is nothing more boring than seeing a cache page's description that looks like:

------------------------------------------

Difficulty: * Terrain: *

easy drive up micro. have fun

or

This one is a "No Brainer".

Have fun, be carefull!!

BORING!!!

A cache page that clues you in on local history, or a fun story, or an interesting fact about the hide, IMHO, makes for a complete caching experience. Creating an interesting page is half the fun of hiding a cache for me.

Ed

I vote for not making cache pages too cute.  We're all bombarded by whiz-bang web pages many times a day.  When I'm researching caches, I never say, "wow that guy really put together a great-looking cache page."  I'm looking for information - steak, not sizzle.  And some of the "cool" things that people do degenerate into nonsense when exported to CacheMate or something else.  Also, although I have broadband access at home, I sometimes log on with very slow dial-up access in hotel rooms.  Your cool graphic is likely to get a reaction from me, but it won't be positive.

I DO look at the cache page as an extension of the owners personality.

I DO say "WOW, that guy really put together an interesting cache page!".

There is nothing more boring than seeing a cache page's description that looks like:

easy drive up micro. have fun

or

This one is a "No Brainer".

Have fun, be carefull!!

BORING!!!

A cache page that clues you in on local history, or a fun story, or an interesting fact about the hide, IMHO, makes for a complete caching experience. Creating an interesting page is half the fun of hiding a cache for me.

Ed

I agree with boring but not everyone can or wants to deal with HTML no matter how simple us geeks think it is.

I also agree with not too much glitz - sound and too much graphics can be a real pain. I don't like sound, just because I don't want all that noise, but most don't like dealing with the downloads.

Check out the link in my previous post and send me a note of your opinion.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
Are there any threads on how to create cool cache pages? I don't know how to add hit counters, html or flash but would like to be able to do some of that. Shoot, I only just figured out how to add attributes. :D

If for some reason there aren't any threads on this already, wanna start one? :D

you did start one - :D

cc\

When I include some html as the bold tag for the smost important text it always is also readable by Cachemate.

I don't like unnecessary pictures and histories or descriptions of the area because it requires more memory available to my Palm SD, it has nosense beucase i will found a copy of the same text in another page using Google if i am actualy interested in the area.

Be careful with large descriptions, it length is sometimes above the max cache length description for Cachemate.

I think we need learn some of HTML for including indispensable images in cache description for find caches and emphasize some text. If yu d'ont include these necesary images in cache description you would't see them in plucker

Edited by garri

I agree. I try to make all my hides teach you something. Check out Cube Root of 39.304 for an example. The Henry Moore quote is priceless. He is talking about his art but he could just as well be talking about geocaching.

Paul aka NotThePainter

I didn't say it shouldn't be interesting. I enjoy learning something about the area from the cache page. A recent find taught me about something I would have never known about - that's what caching is all about for me. But you can get your point across with plain text. Cute colors, fonts, and graphics don't do anything for me. It's like watching a PowerPoint presentation that has every slide sweeping and cute little pictures that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. People think that just because they can do something, they should do it, and everybody will think they're uber-geeks. Just give me the information.

I didn't say it shouldn't be interesting. I enjoy learning something about the area from the cache page. A recent find taught me about something I would have never known about - that's what caching is all about for me. But you can get your point across with plain text. Cute colors, fonts, and graphics don't do anything for me. It's like watching a PowerPoint presentation that has every slide sweeping and cute little pictures that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. People think that just because they can do something, they should do it, and everybody will think they're uber-geeks. Just give me the information.

When I first discovered how to incorporate HTML in my cache pages, I worked really hard on finding a cool background image, and one or two cool pictures to add to the page.

Now I only add the meat and potatoes to the cache page.

1.Necessary cache information

2.Historical interests

3.Directions to the cache, if needed

I no longer insert images in the cache text. I upload them through the site, so cachers can choose to open the pictures, if they want to.

I still add puzzle images to cache page if the cache is a puzzle.

I use some basic html to inform cachers about my cache and why they might want to see it and this particular one, the dangers they my come across to get to the cache. Since the location is pretty remote I don't want people blindly wandering around not knowing what that they need to use some caution when searching for this cache. I used low res pictures so the page would load fast even on a slow dial up connecton, such as the one I have to use. No high speed here in the country :huh:

I have learned from another cache in this remote region that I had to make certain things bold because a lot of people don't read the cache page real good. If they had read the page correctly they would not have had such a hard time getting to the cache.

This cache is in a sensitive Wild Area and took some work to get approval. I did not want someone getting hurt looking for it hence the use of HTML for the page.

One of my caches

I do not mind HTML on a cache page, but I do not like posting photos on a cache page that are needed to find the cache. I cache paperless and my pocket PC will not display these images. WHile I have photos on some of my cache pages they are not needed to find the cache.

As far as being a problem with a slow dial up, that is what I have at home and downloading pages with photos has never been a problem for me. About the only time I have had access to any high speed serviceis while staying in a hotel with internet access in my room.

But the one thing I do not need is music on a cache page, not every like the same music so just keep the tunes of the cache page, there are few cacses in which an audio file may a need, like a morse code file the includes the cache coordinates.

Here you have The quick and dirty guide for bad HTML for you cache pages by bons.

You only had to search a bit at the forum search engine

Some of the HTML on that link is not correct, (I found problems with it last week) Besides which the link page is not very easy to understand and should be redone, the link in that link has better html.

I didn't see anything wrong on the page, other than the part about background images needs to be updated (there's now a place on the submission form to specify a background image).

What exactly did you find that didn't work?