Location/popularity Filter Angst

From the top level of the directory I set the location filter to be my home coords. That seemed to limit my choices as expected. Then I click on Places. After resetting my popluarity filter to 100% I get the only category in my range which is Restaurants. I click on Restaurants. After resetting my popluarity filter to 100% (again!!!) I get the only sub-category in my range which is McDonald's Restaurants. I click on McDonald's Restaurants. Now I get a complete list (50 limit) of all the McDonald's Restaurants, sorted by date. Of course resetting my popluarity filter to 100% (again!!!) has no affect on this list. Since all indications on the page say that my location filter is on, why is it not showing just the McDonald's Restaurants in my range? I understand that this list is the most recently added waymarks, but tehy should be fitered out. No offense to those people in Tennessee and Belgium but I don't think I'll be that interested in anything there. I would expect that once I have activated my location filter, it should stay active and never show me anything outside of that range until I turn it off. But instead I now have to use the "search" button to limit it to my area.

It just doesn't seem to make sense. I should be able to set my filters one time and from that point on see only waymarks that fit that filter.