Do You Take Pictures Of Travel Bugs?

Lemon Fresh Dog

I've noticed that many Travel Bug log entries are pretty sparse "Picked this up at XXXX will move it along"

Well, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, and I am wondering how many folks take pictures of the Travel Bugs they help along the way?

Recently, I have begun to take pictures of every Travel Bug I meet for my gallery of Geo-swag and am really enjoying the process -- it's like keeping the bug without stealing! :ph34r: (okay, that was sort of a plug to keep my own going). My favourite log entries are DEFINATELY those with pictures -- it makes all the difference! Almost as if I am "shoulder" travelling with my bugs.

So? How many of you take pictures of the bugs you find for the logs?

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog
I have a binder with pictures of every TB we've found. I usually only post the pics when they have something to do with its goal. Here's a recent example:

Mashimaro

I *love* to see pictures posted of my own TBs! Really makes my day.

Get that bug to Calgary! I go to the zoo very often with my children and would love to do a photo-journey of the many animals we see.

I always take pictures of bugs. I also take some with me and travel from cache to cache taking pictures. I also try to stay in theme with my logs!

It is a real pain to post pics for both Cache logs and TB logs as well as add comments to both. I really wish there was a way to to both together.

Yeah.

Bartman (TBC413) photo taken near Pier Pressure (GCM5MA)

three travel bugs photo taken near Jailhouse Rock (GC3F7)

Scamper the Camper photo taken near Old Saint Lou (GCK5DR)

Jeremy's Blue Hornet (TB4452) photo taken near Cent Prk (GCHKF5) (photoshopped my fingers out of this one)

Tinkle Tinkle Bell (TBG9CZ) photo taken with the Memphis Belle

These are just a few. There usually has to be a picturesque setting nearby or a request on the travel bug's page for me to go to the additional effort. I agree with cachecrashers about the inconvenience of double logging.

Edited by worldtraveler

We always try to take photos of bugs near the cache where we pick them up (when we remember :P ) and when we forget we post a picture taken round the cache area. Mostly this is for our benefit - so many bugs, such a bad memory :D ! But we also think it's really nice to see photos of your bugs with little comments. I know how excited Thumper was when his bug Penny got a note saying she was going to go a long way and then when we got pictures too... :) We've even had emails from cachers saying thanks and it's really nice to know that your efforts are appreciated, so we always say thanks too now.

Bambi

So?  How many of you take pictures of the bugs you find for the logs?

I do it for every single bug. I made a promise to myself at some point that I would at minimum take a picture of every bug I pick up (and write a little more than "will move along quickly" in the logs, if only a description of the cache I nicked it from).

It's so simple to do, and it makes the hop meaningful for both the owner and me. Well, okay, not meaningful meaningful, but at least a bit more fun.

Count me in as another cacher who very much enjoys taking pictures of TBs. A shot with a goal is always good, of course. But I'll look for other opportunities too - perhaps something that's in theme with the TB's name/shape/etc., or a scenic/unusual/historic/etc view with the TB somewhere in frame. If I have several TBs at the same time, then I might do a "TB party shot" - those can be fun/cute, even if they're simply lined up on a log in the woods. A few times it's been as basic as a picture of the bug on/in my car, just to say "hey, your TB was alive and well on this day, and is still moving along..." :cry:

One of my favorite (and probably my longest) TB photo series centered around a little frog named "Pixey Green" - I had chances to do several kinds of pictures with this one, which made it particularly fun:

I try to take a mugshot of them. I don't usually post them unless there is no other picture of the bug on the cache page or the photo on the cache page doesn't do a good job of showing the bug. If the goal is to have a picture taken in front of some location and I can do that, I will of course, post those too.

I think that a picture of the TB is a must. Even if it's not mentioned on its mission. It's part of the whole idea. When a TB travels it's a way for its owner to travel using his own imagination. And a picture can only help here. I always take a few pictures of a TB, on special spots and landmarks.

i cached for the longest time w/o a camera. now that i have one, i take pictures for days...if i find a bug, there's gonna be a picture. my classroom is learning about geocaching and travel bugs (they have two they'll soon release)...i bring tbs i've found to school. use their mission or anything about the bug, in a lesson. then...take a picture.

what i don't know how to do (and wish i did) is download an image on these forums. i see the "img" button; but i don't understand what the url for the image means.

i cached for the longest time w/o a camera. now that i have one, i take pictures for days...if i find a bug, there's gonna be a picture. my classroom is learning about geocaching and travel bugs (they have two they'll soon release)...i bring tbs i've found to school. use their mission or anything about the bug, in a lesson. then...take a picture.

what i don't know how to do (and wish i did) is download an image on these forums. i see the "img" button; but i don't understand what the url for the image means.

The [ img ] tags are for putting in pics that are on a web server already.

You'd have to have web space to host pics, they can't just be on your computer...

handay.gif

what i don't know how to do (and wish i did) is download an image on these forums.  i see the "img" button; but i don't understand what the url for the image means.

The [ img ] tags are for putting in pics that are on a web server already.

You'd have to have web space to host pics, they can't just be on your computer...

As LarryGC says, you first have to upload your picture to a web site, and then link to it from here.

If you have your own web page, you could store your images there.

Or you could upload your pictures to a free image-hosting site like PhotoBucket or ImageShack.

Sometimes people will upload images to archived cache pages or to their profile page.

Once the image has been uploaded to wherever it's going to be stored, you can copy the URL to your clipboard, and then come here and click the IMG button while you're composing a message, and then past the URL in.

It's important to remember that every travel bug has an owner. Whenever you pick one up, you might consider your opportunity to make that person's day. While it is interesting to see that it moved to a new location and how far it went, it's a gift to get a personalized picture of the place or a places along the way. So yes, we take photos. Sometimes we even get carried away. :D

We found this two travel bugs on our vacation and took them with us. I think Julie was the most patient person in the world because as you can see, I got a little carried away. Both of these TB owner's contacted me and thanked me for the effort. That kinda brought it home for me.

Tourist Bertu from Germay:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...a1-41bc9702328e

Mr. Bunny Foo Foo born in a Walmart in Maine:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...d7-586e9e7fb000

and i havta thank larrygc and the hermit crabs for giving me a quick lesson on img.  thanks!  ~sis

editor's note:  i tried.  i failed.  i need to study.

Just find an image on the web, or one that you have already online.

Let's say this website image: http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/Stress18.gif

You take the link and put IMG tags around it, but with no spaces:

[ img]http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/Stress18.gif[ /img]

and you get this:

Stress18.gif

Or you can click on the IMG button while replying, and paste the image http address into it, does the same thing.

Edited by LarryGC
I've noticed that many Travel Bug log entries are pretty sparse "Picked this up at XXXX will move it along"

Well, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, and I am wondering how many folks take pictures of the Travel Bugs they help along the way?

Recently, I have begun to take pictures of every Travel Bug I meet for my gallery of Geo-swag and am really enjoying the process -- it's like keeping the bug without stealing! :ph34r: (okay, that was sort of a plug to keep my own going). My favourite log entries are DEFINATELY those with pictures -- it makes all the difference! Almost as if I am "shoulder" travelling with my bugs.

So? How many of you take pictures of the bugs you find for the logs?

:rolleyes:

We love picking up the travel bugs and taking pictures with them, that is part of the fun of it!!!

:(

I'd say I always take a pic, I just don't always post it.

I usually only download photos from camera once every 1.5 months so if the TB photo was taken at the beginning of that time it is doubtful I will post the photo unless there was something that was VERY special about the TB and photo.