"stick Tights"

TresOkies

My wife wonders if anyone has a good way to get rid of stick tights on a pair of socks, short of throwing the socks away. We got into a mess of them this past weekend.

From Encylopedia.com

Stick tights: name sometimes used for species of beggarweed and of bur marigold of the order Rosales, family Leguminosae, and the order Asterales, family Asteraceae, respectively.

Thanks

Ultimate and Painful Hitchhikers

WAYNE'S WORD Top 17 Hitchhiking Plants

[based On The Difficulty In Removing Them From Your Socks]

hhtableb.gif

hitch1c.jpg

Eleven Hitchhiking Plants.

A. Burdock (Arctium lappa, Asteraceae); B. Grappling-hook (Harpagonella palmeri, Boraginaceae); C. Horehound (Marrubium vulgare, Lamiaceae); D. Bur-grass (Cenchrus echinatus, Poaceae); E. Bur-clover (Medicago polymorpha syn. M. hispida, Fabaceae); F. Beggar-ticks (Bidens pilosa, Asteraceae); G. Sand-bur (Ambrosia acanthicarpa, Asteraceae); H. Cocklebur (Xanthium strumarium, Asteraceae); I. Krameria (Krameria grayi, Krameriaceae); J. Stick-tight (Desmodium cuspidatum, Fabaceae); K. Devil's-claw (Martynia annua, Martyniaceae).

Prevention:

Wear desert/trail gaitors. Tight nylon weave keeps things from sticking. Put tape over the lower laces that show under the gaitors.

Some of those burrs look like the ones that give your bike a flat tire. The spine breaks off, puctures tube and then stays in tire to puncture tube again.....

Here's how you remove all sorts of evil prickly buggers. We learned this while going after the Atalaya Cache near Myrtle Beach. When we got back to the car, we were covered with wickedly sharp sand spurs - see G in picture above. These barbed nasties break off in your fingers when you try to remove them. First I found a pair of pliers, but it was sloooow going. So I looked in the car and found the greatest gift we have received from the Roswell UFO crash. I found the loop pad from a surfboard leash's velcro foot strap. The Velcro loops magically de-activated the sand spurs, which fell harmlessly to the ground. (except the one that doinked into the car floorboard, found that one the next day!)

- T of TandS

Edited by tands