Pictures Of The Crazy Things You Have Done

RocketMan

I don't know about crazy, but this is about the DUMBEST thing I've ever done at a cache site. For the full story, click on the link below. :o

(Partial post of my exploits at Which Cache Is Witch. Sorry, no picture. )

"My "adventure" wasn't over, however. When I got back to my car, I found that I didn't have my keys. At first I thought I might have dropped them while searching for the cache..... but no.... I'd locked them in my car during the 10 minutes I'd sat there trying to get a good satellite fix. Boy, did I feel really stupid. :laughing: There were my keys sitting in the driver's seat, staring at me!! Oh well, thank goodness for AAA!! " <_<

Edited by CacherMedic

These are just 2 of the things that happened to me this week.   I got my shoe totally stuck in this tree and couldn't move.  GPSaxaphone couldn't resist taking a picture.

The other is I had a freak accident when picking up a cache I got stabbed in the eye and ended up severely gouging my cornea.

Treestuck.jpg

eyeball1.jpg

Eyeball2.jpg

On more than a few occasions I could have died a lonely and/or nasty death while on my way to or from finding a cache.  One of the concerns I have for caching alone and the primary reason I don't do culvert caches (aside from the fact that they are almost universally stupid anyway).

• Upvote 1

Almost 11 years later, GC10441 remains one of my most memorable finds.  The cache was hidden on 1 January 2007, and when we started caching a couple months later, it still only had a handful of finds.  The CO had a "hall of fame" up for the first three finders, and the #3 spot had not yet been taken, so I decided I wanted to be that third finder.  Problem was that it was on an island in the Rhein, and I had no access to a boat.  But from the map, it didn't look like that far to swim to it, so I figured I'd go for it.  I bagged my GPSr, camera, and pen, and put them in a backpack I didn't really care about getting wet, and set out for a swim.

Once I was in the water, I realized why most people didn't swim in the Rhein -- it moves pretty fast.  Although I was swimming straight across, the current was such that I ended up taking a 45 degree track before I finally hit the beach.

On the island, it didn't take long for me to find the cache.  I was a little disappointed to find that someone had boated across and beaten me to the #3 spot that very morning, but I still had fun exploring the island and the cool tower nearby, which used to be a toll station for river traffic.

37301134-265e-46dd-9f77-9f6d8b964d6d.jpg3b8d4632-cd2d-4c53-8df1-2166041d71a4.jpg

The owner, who had certainly not anticipated that anyone would be crazy enough to swim for it, ended up giving me a "special honor" for surviving the trip.  :laughing:

6fe61fea-49c3-4659-bcf2-f0284e4bdccb.jpg

• Upvote 2
On 1/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, hzoi said:

Almost 11 years later, GC10441 remains one of my most memorable finds.  The cache was hidden on 1 January 2007, and when we started caching a couple months later, it still only had a handful of finds.  The CO had a "hall of fame" up for the first three finders, and the #3 spot had not yet been taken, so I decided I wanted to be that third finder.  Problem was that it was on an island in the Rhein, and I had no access to a boat.  But from the map, it didn't look like that far to swim to it, so I figured I'd go for it.  I bagged my GPSr, camera, and pen, and put them in a backpack I didn't really care about getting wet, and set out for a swim.

Once I was in the water, I realized why most people didn't swim in the Rhein -- it moves pretty fast.  Although I was swimming straight across, the current was such that I ended up taking a 45 degree track before I finally hit the beach.

There's one on an island in the Tiber river in Rome (Isola Tiberina) that I'd read about some swimming to.  There's a bridge from each side of the river (one is 13th century) that goes to the upper part of the island.  The cache is on the lower part and the first time I was there access to the lower part of the island was closed.  I met a couple of geocachers from Germany while looking for a way to get to it and one said, "I wonder if you could swim to it".  Turns out a few geocachers did make the swim.   The next time I was there the stairs to the lower section of the island were open and I was able to find the cache.   In the section where they made the swim there was a white water kayak slalom course, which typically has a lot of current.  It would have been interesting to see that swim.