Welcoming Premium Members

We sent the second email to all Geocaching.com Premium Members today to let them know about the Waymarking.com web site. So you may notice a spike in the activity on Waymarking.com. This is part of a slow rollout to ensure that the new site can handle the traffic and any glaring issues about the process can be addressed.

We're still working out the process for new category proposals and creation - and we'll be offering a clearer process as we move forward. I expect that new category proposals will happen once we complete group functionality on the site so they are easier to manage. Till then we'll continue to add new categories for existing locationless caches and possibly adding a new category or two to keep the site interesting.

Thanks so far for the early visitors to the site and for the constructive comments!

Thanks to Jeremy and the rest of the crew at gc.com, for their constant and diverse work at improving and expanding the fun that we can all have with our GPS units.

I look forward to the evolution of Waymarking.com with eager anticipation.

nfa-jamie

Received my email. Waited a bit and went in. It was quick so I don't think the traffic has caught up to the emails sent. I do find the new site and possibilities to be endless. My hopes are that the catagory managers do take their responsibilities both seriousily and without prejudice.

What's next and in the works?

:lol:

Got my email and still not happy with waypoints. Sorry, but I happen to like virtual caches and feel the great places that I've found through geocaching will be lost in the crowd over there. We getting ready to head out on a cross country trip in a few weeks and are looking for as many virtuals as we can before they are doomed.

Terri

I got my email, clicked the link to the site immediately, then clicked #1 on the list "Find an interesting category" and got a page that looked like I could do something but it didn't respond to anything. I couldn't search, the links don't work.

Hmm . . . Still a few rough edges?

I like the Waymarking page and in fact have posted a watertower over a week ago during the quiet beta testing. I can understand the cachers who feel their opportunity to log virtuals as caches will be diminished, untimately reducing their opportunity to increase there find numbers. The measuring stick of geocaching, for some, not all, is the number of finds. I also know the for me, a great hike or interesting hide overshadows lots of finds. (parking lot micros are an entirely different subject, so I will save my comments for another thread). That's me and obviously not everyone, as we can only speak for ourseleves.

Good luck with Waymarking, I will be adding more this weekend.

I got my email, clicked the link to the site immediately, then clicked #1 on the list "Find an interesting category" and got a page that looked like I could do something but it didn't respond to anything.  I couldn't search, the links don't work.

Hmm . . .  Still a few rough edges?

Were you clicking in here?

d0d5b317-feb8-44c3-84fd-4b0143771722.jpg

These links pop up help windows (which don't contain live links). They aren't used to start real searches. You can search from the Directory page.

edit: wording, link

Edited by cache_test_dummies
Posted by Jeremy:

We sent the second email to all Geocaching.com Premium Members

Posted by Jeremy:

We're still sending out emails. Patience.

Sorry, I was confused. The first post made it sound like ALL of the emails had gone out. I was concerned that perhaps my email link was not working for some reason. I have since received the email.

Couple of comments:

I can see the possibilities for the site, and a lot of the categories are quite interesting. However, I think that some of the categories already entered by the beta testers are simply a waste of server space (come on, guys, McDonald's and bars?). A lot of very interesting categories though ( Revolutionary War veteran graves; water towers; odd shaped buildings; fountains off the top of my head), and I can envision others as or more interesting being added eventually. I don't care about being able to log virtuals; I just enjoyed going to the locations, and really enjoyed those, as opposed to micros which I DON'T enjoy, but seem to be overwhelming gc.com. However, I share Terri and Billy's concern that the good ones may simply get buried by all the bad ones at Waymarking. I know about the rating system and have used it, but what I like might be considered useless by others and get downgraded thusly, so if I set my filter too high I'll miss it.

I understand the bugs are being worked out, and I hope my suggestions may help work out some kinks. The site does look very promising, and I think the usefulness will override the negatives. Time will tell.