Logging A Waypoint Vd Creating A Waypoint

Now, I just KNOW before I ask this that my question has been answered in the overload of info in here, but I make no claim to be excellent at searching - I tried though.

Let's say someone has created a Waypoint Catagory for say, WiFi Hotspots (*coughJeremycough*). Now, I know of one of these that has not been entered. Does adding this waypoint to the existing catagory count as a 'find', or am I expected to maintain the list of people who log it?

In other words, is adding a waypoint the same as 'finding' it, or do I become the de facto 'owner' of it?

Sorry if this has been answered - but I am easily confused and distracte... OOOHHH, pretty bunny! Here bunny bunny!

locationless caches = waymark categories

locationless cache logs = waymarks

locationless cache log logs = waymark logs

:o

:D

:lol:

Locationless cache log logs? ( 'spose it'd help if had actually found a locationless cache - never have done one yet).

(simple words, please.... to go with my simple mind ;) )

Thanks

Edited by New England n00b
In other words, is adding a waypoint waymark the same as 'finding' it, or do I become the de facto 'owner' of it?

The first person to identify and log (it's called 'recording' or 'posting') a particular instance of a category (your WiFi spot, for example) becomes the 'owner' of that spot.

So in your example, Jeremy would be the owner of the category, you would be the owner of that particular spot, and if I came along later, I could log a find on your waymark.

To map this into the former GC way of describing this, Jeremy owns the locationless, you own a virtual, and I claim a find on your virtual.

As the owner, you can delete my log if I don't follow the logging instructions.

Does that make sense?

edit: better wording

Edited by cache_test_dummies
In other words, is adding a waypoint waymark the same as 'finding' it, or do I become the de facto 'owner' of it?

The first person to identify and log (it's called 'recording' or 'posting') a particular instance of a category (your WiFi spot, for example) becomes the 'owner' of that spot.

So in your example, Jeremy would be the owner of the category, you would be the owner of that particular spot, and if I came along later, I could log a find on your waymark.

To map this into the former GC way of describing this, Jeremy owns the locationless, you own a virtual, and I claim a find on your virtual.

As the owner, you can delete my log if I don't follow the logging instructions.

Does that make sense?

edit: better wording

Yes. I just went through a few of the areas to get a 'hands-on' feel for how it works. Makes much more sense when I see it in action.

Thanks guys! A mod can close this if they wish - I'm pretty sure my question has been answered. I'll try and add one later this week and see how it goes.

This is kinda cool! :lol:

Thanks Jeremy & cache_test_dummies!

This is kinda cool!  :lol:

I think so too. But it's gonna get much better once more of the site becomes operational.

At the moment, other than locationless caches who's owners are converting their locationless caches to waymark categories, there are no categories being added.

Also at the moment, there are many more waymarks being posted (people like you and I becoming owners of the particular places) than people actually logging visits to them. I've posted a bunch of waymarks, but only had a single visit so far. And I haven't visited any waymarks yet because there aren't really any around me just yet (other than my own, which I don't know if I'll be logging visits for or not).

The REAL fun will start when this all opens up and begins to expand rapidly. There will be waymarks and categories and visits going on all over the place.

And Jeremy has promised cool stats, and eventually we'll get to have PQs and post watches and everything. All kinds of interesting scenarios should spring out of this.

Oh, and we get to still keep geocaching, too.

edit: there's always somthin' to fix

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Also at the moment, there are many more waymarks being posted (people like you and I becoming owners of the particular places) than people actually logging visits to them. I've posted a bunch of waymarks, but only had a single visit so far.

This will probably get better as search functions are added for Waymarking. Right now they are hard to find. There are none in my zip code or close by zip codes. (At least according to the results returned). As we are excited about logging our first waymark, we would make a trip out of it to get one. Right now, though we can't figure out where to go.

If anyone knows of a waymark in southern Oregon, please e-mail me.

Thanks!

on edit: Jeremy just posted in another thread that the zip code search is looking out to 100 miles. So I guess there are not any waymarks in southern Oregon yet. Oh well. Maybe we will have to try and figure out how to "place"one.

Edited by Cheminer Will
If anyone knows of a waymark in southern Oregon, please e-mail me.

You can use the advanced search link to see waymarks in Oregon. However the point is to pick a theme, find a location that fits that theme, mark it and post it as a waymark. The seeking of existing waymarks won't work unless people go out and mark them. And unlike geocaching the idea is more of a scavenger hunt than a "go to this location and find this object" - at least for now.

Geocaching: "seek and ye shall find"

Waymarking: "find and they shall seek"

Geocaching: "seek and ye shall find"

Waymarking: "find and they shall seek"

Sounds catchy...I like it!

To me whether I am creating a waymark or logging a visit to a waymark, really makes no difference. In either case I got out of the house to some place of interest.

I hope to see lots more categories soon too.