San Diego Congratulations Thread

Dr. Boggis

There's no stopping those Fat Cat's they just did 2500 now they're at 2600, Slow down ladies. Congrats Sue. 0002013F.gif 0002008B.gif 0002013F.gif
wooam5.gif

:ph34r:B)B)Congrats, ladies! :DB)B)

Way to Go Fat Cat's!!!! Ya'll are awesome!

Tombmaker! turned 40 years old today!

Edited by kwvers!
There's no stopping those Fat Cat's they just did 2500 now they're at 2600, Slow down ladies. Congrats Sue. 0002013F.gif 0002008B.gif 0002013F.gif
wooam5.gif

:D:D:DCongrats, ladies! :D:D:D

Way to Go Fat Cat's!!!! Ya'll are awesome!

Tombmaker! turned 40 years old today!

Thanks everyone! It's all those Micro Mini-Mag's in Santee...they're too much fun!!! :laughing:

And another rumour is floating about that lulu499 has hit 1700! That's alotta cachin' in a short time!!
wooam5.gif

Thanks guys!!!

Congrats to devhead for 3000 and Dillon Gang for 4000!!!

Congrats to LegoCollin for 300!!!

Congrats to all on your milestones! Lookin Good!

And another rumour is floating about that lulu499 has hit 1700! That's alotta cachin' in a short time!!
wooam5.gif

Thanks guys!!!

Congratulations everyone!!!

wooam5.gif

Thanks guys!!!

:D:anicute::anicute: A BIG WAAAAHOOO TO YOU ALL !!!! :anicute::anicute::anicute:

THE SPLASHES :anicute::lol:

Congratulations everyone!!!

Coming soon ...

b3527f31-57b2-49fa-8ad2-0087d898fba0.jpg

Here's another done-deal ... way to go FisnJack, 4001 finds ain't peanuts.

Congratulations on your 4000th Fisnjack. Keep on plugging along and you'll be at 5000 in a few months. Great Job.

Fisnjack is an inspiration! Hope to be in shape like him one day! Congrats!

Coming soon ...

Congratulations on your 4000th Fisnjack. Keep on plugging along and you'll be at 5000 in a few months. Great Job.

0002013F.gif 000201F6.gif 0002013F.gif

Coming soon ...

dancingbw4.gifdancingbw4.gifdancingbw4.gifdancingbw4.gif

:D:D:DDone! Flagman has found his 5000th cache. Congrats!!!! :D:D:D

Congrats Flagman on your 5000 finds and 100 hides! You da man!

000200D5.gif 0002013F.gif

Thanks, everyone! I was at 4950 and 99 on Thursday, so I sort of decided to just get it all over with and loaded up with a couple bottles of water, a box of cigars, 1/2 a tank of gas and two GPSrs loaded with 2/2 and easier Trads-with-no-DNF-logs in North County... It was a pretty slow start, with a couple DNFs in a row, and my overall ratio that night was about 1:1 DNF:Find. Granted, I wasn't spending that much time looking for anything. It was a moonless night and I carried on until about 3:30 a.m. on the 4th, and ended up with 34 finds -- 16 short. After a short nap, Mrs. FlagMan got me cleaned up and rolled me out to the Scripps Ranch 4th of July Parade. Then I headed out for the last 16 or so finds and my 100th hide. This time I started pretty strong but then hit a dry spell with all the Halloween caches in Mount Hope (seems that series probably should be archived in its entirety at this point). But I re-grouped and finished all but #5000 with just enough time to spare for my final hide. For find #5000 I had planned to do Liberty Station (4th of July, etc.), so I headed that way. I couldn't seem to find it in my GPSr, though. I finally realized that I had already done that cache. D'Oh! But the NTCBoatyard cache was still unfound, and the view from there was great for a photo op, so I stuck with the location. For my final hide, I had a pretty specific idea in mind but I never came across the location I needed (I guess it will have to be 101), so I had to settle for Valley View. Then it was getting cleaned up again to go BACK down to Point Loma for one of the best seats in the house (near Grandparent's Cache) for the synchronized fireworks show over San Diego Bay. 50 finds in less than 24 hours, and I have to say after all this time, I really suck at this game!! I think I must have had at least 50 DNFs during this time as well, all on 2/2 or easier caches!

Anyway, yesterday was "all about the numbers" but that's really pretty rare for me. This game has really been a big part of my life for the last almost-six-years, but not really for the numbers. I usually get a little nostalgic around milestones, and I like to play the "remember when" game. So here it goes.

Remember when:

It took most people 1/2 year or so to get to 100 finds. NOBODY had a kilo..

Almost all caches were long hikes to beautiful spots...

Your breath was not a factor (who was that guy who first discovered Altoids tins?!?)...

I think Duncan! introduced me to M&M tubes in something like 2005...

Puzzle caches?!? What are those? EVERYTHING was at the posted coords... (First Contact by Parsa was my first puzzle cache)...

If a cache popped up late at night, you could pretty safely sleep in 'till 9 am or so and still count on a FTF...

Forums? There are forums? What are THEY for?...

Tennis shoes for the first year. I didn't buy a pair of hiking boots until AFTER I climbed El Cajon Mountain...

Coronado Bridge Passes -- the first personal item. Where's mark71mark? He was the FTF hound back then, along with RUSCAL and Team Gecko, and his name was on EVERY log. He was the equivalent of kwvers today. Care to guess his total find count? And the answer is .... 551...

Well, that was then, and this is now, and the game has certainly moved on. Seems most players are into the numbers, and that's good for the Lily Pond 'cause it generates revenues to keep the site alive. But if that was all it had to offer, I'm sure I wouldn't still be playing the game. It's those caches at the end of an invigorating hike to a beautiful spot that I would never had seen, or some really cool cammo, or some mind-bending puzzle, or some other fun component that keeps me coming back. I guess the "just-another-lamp-skirt-for-the-numbers" caches are still a little more fun than the typical day at work, but I would probably find something better to do with my time if all caches were nothing more than that.

So thanks to everyone who gives back to this game and provides something entertaining to read on the website or to find at GZ. Looking forward to seeing what all those creative minds out there will come up with next!

Remember when:

Your breath was not a factor (who was that guy who first discovered Altoids tins?!?)...

Puzzle caches?!? What are those? EVERYTHING was at the posted coords... (First Contact by Parsa was my first puzzle cache)...

If a cache popped up late at night, you could pretty safely sleep in 'till 9 am or so and still count on a FTF...

Tennis shoes for the first year. I didn't buy a pair of hiking boots until AFTER I climbed El Cajon Mountain...

Coronado Bridge Passes -- the first personal item. Where's mark71mark? He was the FTF hound back then, along with RUSCAL and Team Gecko, and his name was on EVERY log. He was the equivalent of kwvers today. Care to guess his total find count? And the answer is .... 551...

Well, that was then, and this is now, and the game has certainly moved on. Seems most players are into the numbers, and that's good for the Lily Pond 'cause it generates revenues to keep the site alive. But if that was all it had to offer, I'm sure I wouldn't still be playing the game. It's those caches at the end of an invigorating hike to a beautiful spot that I would never had seen, or some really cool cammo, or some mind-bending puzzle, or some other fun component that keeps me coming back. I guess the "just-another-lamp-skirt-for-the-numbers" caches are still a little more fun than the typical day at work, but I would probably find something better to do with my time if all caches were nothing more than that.

So thanks to everyone who gives back to this game and provides something entertaining to read on the website or to find at GZ. Looking forward to seeing what all those creative minds out there will come up with next!

Ditto on those insights- congrats on 5000.

Dave

Remember when:

I came into this game too recently to remember any of that stuff. What I do remember was encountering the pins left by some dude named FlagMan. He had some cool caches in Scripps Ranch and, at the time, he had what seemed like an impossible cache total of ~1500. And he had cleared out a 17 mile radius around his house. He seemed like "Super-Cacher" to me...

I've managed to close the gap a little and in a little less than 17 years from now I expect to catch up with him. But I will never manage to clear 17 miles (I made it as far as 11mi and then I quit trying because I couldn't keep up...)

So, maybe it's not all about the numbers, but 5000/100 is still something to be proud of...

Congrat's, FlagMan (and on the 4th of July no less!)

(Since everyone is posting Yrium cards to mark milestones, I considered posting the FlagMan Yrium [misprint] Card that I found in TT's Clipper Cache but I thought better of it...some things are better left to the imagination... :D:D:D )

Remember when:

... and ...

You hardly ever met other Geocachers, just saw their bootprints along the trail.

There was no Commie-Pinko Reviewer Guy rejecting hides. O for the good-old days.

Containers always had swag in them and it was most-always listed in the cache descriptions.

No Pocket Queries, no GSAK, no PDA's, no lifeline calls ... just reams of printouts.

No danged Bison Tubes in big bushes along ten-mile mountainous hikes! ... oops, excuse me.

... and ...

Edited by SD Rowdies

Remember when:

... and ...

You hardly ever met other Geocachers, just saw their bootprints along the trail.

There was no Commie-Pinko Reviewer Guy rejecting hides. O for the good-old days.

Containers always had swag in them and it was most-always listed in the cache descriptions.

No Pocket Queries, no GSAK, no PDA's, no lifeline calls ... just reams of printouts.

No danged Bison Tubes in big bushes along ten-mile mountainous hikes! ... oops, excuse me.

... and ...

Our two cents.......

'Micros' weren't 'invented' yet when we started way back in '01 :D

You had to hike to almost all caches and would find an ammo can at the end!

The nearest cache to our house in Lakeside was in the Fletcher

Parkway area in a park, and the next closest was in La Mesa.............after that it was Mt. Laguna and beyond.

Lifeline was a word used on game shows............we all just dnf'd (maybe that's why we have so many!)

Running into another cacher was special because we always wondered what they looked like. As Tom said, no such thing as the forums, you felt you were really 'alone' out there. We used to run into Gecko Dad alot as well as Mark71Mark.

And........you had to print out the cache pages, or write copious notes, and put everything in the gps by hand.......hoping you got it right! One time we went to Palm Springs to cache and had a stack of cache printouts as big as the Sears catalog (don't think that's around anymore either)......try to keep that in order on the trail, much less carry them around.

Things have changed and progressed, but one thing has remained a constant...............

Geocachers are the nicest people!!!!! :D:D:D

Congratulations Flagman on the 5000/100 milestone! Thanks for the enormous contributions you have made to our 'game'! We enjoyed your history of things, maybe now the new cachers will have an idea of how it evolved........and maybe even know what a 'Yrium' card is! We're still confused as to where the name 'beta tester' came from..............

Thanks for the fun!

The Splashes :D:D

Since everyone is posting Yrium cards to mark milestones I considered posting the FlagMan Yrium [misprint] Card that I found in TT's Clipper Cache but I thought better of it ... some things are better left to the imagination. :D:D:D

Would that be this misprint or the other one?

0371df0d-ced7-436b-9cdf-b4b75365d87b.jpg

Sure wouldn't want to post the wrong one.

0371df0d-ced7-436b-9cdf-b4b75365d87b.jpg

Nope, it was the other one... :D

Not this one either I suppose.

5206aa75-9bae-4642-bca9-24e7976f0103.jpg

Quite right, the misprint you referred to shouldn't see the light of day.

0b0b0387-21f5-41a3-bcc8-5fde7830dc1a.jpg

But on the other hand ... what about at a late-night pizza event?

While you're at it check-out the YMS-card cakes that were served.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Since everyone is posting Yrium cards to mark milestones I considered posting the FlagMan Yrium [misprint] Card that I found in TT's Clipper Cache but I thought better of it ... some things are better left to the imagination. :D:D:D

<clip>

HARMON!!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE ONE CARD THAT IS NEVER SO MUCH AS WHISPERED ABOUT IN PUBLIC, LET ALONE PUBLISHED FOR ALL TO SEE!!!!!!!!!! YOU OWE ME BIG TIME FOR THIS ONE!!!!!!!!

Since everyone is posting Yrium cards to mark milestones I considered posting the FlagMan Yrium [misprint] Card that I found in TT's Clipper Cache but I thought better of it ... some things are better left to the imagination. :angry::D:D

<clip>

HARMON!!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE ONE CARD THAT IS NEVER SO MUCH AS WHISPERED ABOUT IN PUBLIC, LET ALONE PUBLISHED FOR ALL TO SEE!!!!!!!!!! YOU OWE ME BIG TIME FOR THIS ONE!!!!!!!!

Uh-oh, when's my court-appearance set for?

Wait a minute, that image was posted on the Forum long ago. ... doesn't that make it public-domain?

... I'm callin' King Stahlman right away.