Geo Jamboree 4

CT A-Team

Tentative dates have been set for GEO JAMBOREE 4

JUNE 9-10, 2006

And as you have all requested, it will be held at Kettletown State Park in Connecticut. See last year's event page (GCN6ZT) for details on the location.

New caches, new games, - with the imagination and enthusiasm of our committee members and cache setters in the past, it will surely be bigger and better than ever! B)

I will watch this thread for a week or so to see response to the dates chosen, then will lock them in. Please do not start making reserevations until then.

Walt

OK, the dates are set. The main event will be on Saturday, June 10, 2006. And there wiil still be lots of caching on Sunday too.

I strongly recommend that you reserve your campsite early by calling RESERVE AMERICA at (877) 668-2267. Every year we run out of room so do it now. This way we can all be close together for all that hobnobbing. :lol:

Spread the word.

:D SITE 17 FOR OUR 1NatureFamily. Friday ~ Sunday.

THIS IS WHERE THE SMORES WILL BE! Come on by!

We'll most likely have a newbie with us; our camp is full at this time.

Someone already took site 7 :D

:D Leslie & Family

is that old site 17, or new site 17? (do they renumber the @$%^ sites EVERY year or what?)

ooh, maybe we'll even make it this year since joe will be done with grad school by then. are pups allowed at the site?

jandm

Unfortunately pups are not allowed overnight in Kettletown. They may come to most areas of the park grounds for the day, including the big Sunday get together.

(I suffered separation anixiety from the REAL Quoddy last year)

poo. while joe and i are perfectly fine leaving molly, it is she that suffers the separation anxiety. she's not the most well adjusted pup being that she is an attention needy lab that was neglect before she came to joe's home. we do have some options for this though. my parents live in wolcott and my mom loves molly. perhaps she'd be willing to babysit the only grandchild she's ever going to get from me. :signalviolin:

we'll see...

IRON-GEOMAN TRIATHLON ~ at the GeoJamboree

OK, here is an idea that just came to me; inspired by my 2 friends whom just finished the real Ironman in FLA, and it's on my own Top-10-Things-To-Do-B4-I-Die list (ok 1/2 the thon).

1. PADDLE. From launch site behind Ranger station to Jackson Cove/Paumperaug Trail.

2. BIKE. Paumperaug trail to Zoar Overlook Trail head.

3. HIKE. Trail to Zoar Overlook.

**Saturday, early Sunrise = less humidity, less wake, less muggles.

Whatcha think? Is it totally crazy :P or are you pumped up ?? :D

Jestjuggle booked for site # 5 (though it says changed to site #7)

At any rate we will be there, Friday night through Sunday.

Mike & Barb)

Just curoius, since this happened a lot last year and seemed to casue a lot of confusion about who was camping where... Did you book through ReserveAmerica?

Check your confirmation email for your reserved site number. I'm wondering how they could tell you that you've booked in site 7 when that site was already snatched up before we knew the exact weekend of the Event. I'm almost certain that the first site number they gave you, 5, is where you're booked, and that site 5 on the map is site 5 at the campground.

OK, I know you all think my GPSr is out to lunch and can't locate an Accuracy Contest point to save its life. :D That's why I have a special solution for this year's Jamboree. I will be setting a concrete property marker somewhere in Kettletown with exact coordinates on it set by a surveyor using the latest Trimble equipment. They also plan to attend the Jamboree to let you see how the next level of geocaching equipment works. Although I don't think you would want to carry this stuff around with you. :P

The monument will become a permanent cache called "This is a Test." You will be able to test your equipment against the best there is. I plan to test mine too, but I think I will do it when no-one else is around. :lol:

I see that not many campsites have been reserved yet. Get your friends on line and grab those sites before they are all gone. Remember what happened last year.

See you all there.

Walt

We are in site #8 (although it said #8 changed to #11)  I see that both sites are taken, so who knows??  I'll wait for the confirming email..

See you there!

Yeah, there's something screwy somewhere. I just checked my account at ReserveAmerica, and it says I'm booked at 16, and that 16 has been changed to 19. So what doesn that mean? That I'm in the same place but have a different number, or that I'm now in the new site number? For the purposes of the map, I'm gonna go with the pre-site change numbers. If everyone already on the map can double check their reservations, that would be a help, since right now I've already got people in BOTH sites that you might be booked in!

I don't suppose that anyone in the area could actually check the map against the actual sites at the park? Then we could put all this confusion to rest. Until then, I'll update the map with the non-conflicting info.

RE: site number confusion.

If I remember correctly, Kettletown seems to move around the campsites somewhat every year. My guess is to partly to keep from "wearing out" the grassy sites. It also appeared last year that they squeezed in at least one more site then the year before. I only noticed this because the one site we had for GJII was devided into 2 sites for GJIII.

Oh, and for what it's worth, we are on site #1 according to the map. That's the beer side of the campground for those keeping track at home! :blink:

Open to ideas for a special batch of GeoJamboree Ale.

All Reserved!!! I figured I would put the maximum # of people on my site as i'm sure there will be some "extra" people that may need a place to crash ! Also says that 13 is not 17 ... so who knows where i'll be , but i'll be there!

Camping Area: Area 1

Site: 013

Site Type: Std No Elec/No Wtr Waterfront

Arrival Date: Friday June 09, 2006

Departure Date: Sunday June 11, 2006

Length of Stay: 2

Type of Equipment Used for Camping: Tent

Camping Equipment Length (ft): 20

Number of Vehicles: 2

Number of Occupants: 6

important Information

Site 013 has been changed to site 017.

The monument will become a permanent cache called "This is a Test." You will be able to test your equipment against the best there is. I plan to test mine too, but I think I will do it when no-one else is around. :rolleyes:

Sounds like this will be the decisive answer to the question of who's closest, Walt!

I gotta wonder if it's gonna fly as a geocache though.

I'm sure you would get permission to install a permanent feature like this, so that's not really an issue, but unless you are building a secret compartment in it for the logbook, I doubt it will get listed as a geocache under the current guidelines (in a nutshell, virtual and codeword type caches are totally banned now).

I'm not really that much into benchmarks, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was possible to plant your own survey benchmark and get it listed with the NGS or whoever is in charge of those. Maybe that would be a more viable option?

We booked thru ReserveAmerica. And we believe that we are RIGHT where you put us on the map. #5. WE were on this site with Turtle at GJII and liked it. But it may be that when we actually get there, that site will be marked #7. We agree that each year they seem to renumber the sites as they adjust the boundaries a bit to help the grass try to grow.

If we end up down the line a bit it won't matter. The important part is we're all in the Right Park on the Right Weekend. :anibad:

Mike & Barb

I just wanted to bump this up and also let you folks know that the survey monument has been set at Kettletown. After discussions with admin, and reading your comments, this will become the first stage of a simple multi-cache and it will not be listed until the event.

Since the main purpose of this cache is the check the accuracy of your equipment, I have no problem releasing the rough coordinates for those of you who want to check it out while your in the area.

N.41-25.537

W.73-12.570

Remenber, the final computations for true accuracy have not yet been done, so this will just get you close.

Walt

I was checking this out and now I have a question. The website for the park says no rvs over 26 feet. How close do they monitor this or can I fudge a little? My rv is 28 feet. Are there bigger sites than others? A little help here. We're trying in incorperate some kind of event (geocaching or where's george) with a trip to Maine to see my husband's grandmother. Vacation schedule requsts go in at work this week for the year.

Terri

My rig...[ 2 years ago ]..is 27 footer, they do not seem to go out and check!

Dont think its a problem! ..just go for it!

About night caching, I still have 2 night caches in place...but dissabled for winter, and can with not much trouble...get them up and going again. [ as is ]

only problem is....whats a guy to do? leave them as is..for the newer cachers...?

Lots have done Willies easy one? or re-design that one?

The more difficult one..kettletown 2 was not visited by many? but judging from the logs, well recieved, and probably shud be left as is?

Perhaps RJ would like to make one? or..is there anyone else that would like to "install" another night cache?

however....not enuff time for all to vist many caches all night long!..

remember..only gets dark after 9pm.

please enter thoughts and ideas here.

Z

Having done them both last year I would say definitely leave the difficult one (#2)similar to the way it was previously set up for those who want a real challenge. I'd imagine that it would takes a lot of effort to set up or change that one.

Just for the change, I'd vote for altering the standard one. Those two caches gave so many people an enjoyable evening/night activity. Thanks. BTW, the #2 still rates in my top 10 caches.

Okay, barring anything bad happening, we should be there. I haven't made reservations yet but will as soon as I move some money around. It helps to have money on the card you want to use! I prefer using a debit to credit, hence the need to get some money on the card.

From CT we will be heading to NH and a motorcycle rally in Laconia. If anyone knows of any good caches in that area, please let me know. We will also be heading to Rockland, ME. That takes care of the must does--visit family, and fun stuff for vacations---geocaching and motorcycle rally.

I'm planning on a great 10 days off!

Terri